Car Insurance Tips & Tricks

Options

Comments

• sandyinvent
    sandyinvent Posts: 14 Forumite
    Options
    haribo27 wrote:
    Me again, I've just read sad gills fan post. My issue is with Diamond too! Charging for an accident not my fault!

Exactly the same thing happened to me. I've been searching for an answer why for ages. Found this site through google. Basically the insurers can do this because they will statistically deem you more likely to have another accident. It is utterly ridiculous and highly annoying. I won't quote from the website in case of copyright but read more here : http://www.carinsuranceonline.org.uk.
  • ren79
    ren79 Posts: 6 Forumite
    Options
    I have a tip for new drivers - I passed my driving test when 24, despite having provisional licence since I was 17, and my quote through ASDA was far cheaper than any of the others at the time (a couple of yearas ago now tho), because they take into account the number of years you have had any type of licence - I checked this several times on the phone, so effectively i'd had my licence for 7 years rather than a few months.
  • lil_miss_2
    lil_miss_2 Posts: 50 Forumite
    Options
    Hi,

Searched the forum for this, but could not find it anywhere.

1) What is the best way to go with regards to the bonus accelarator? My best quote from elephant is £502 for the 10 month bonus accelarator and £580 for 12 months (so a saving of £20).

2) Are the quotes on confused.com for the full 12 months or just 10 months?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thank you
  • Astaroth
    Astaroth Posts: 5,444 Forumite
    Options
    1) Be careful with bonus accelarators as they will often only be honoured by the insurer you are with. So if you have the "2" years with Elephant but then try and go to NUD they wont agree to the 2 years as it isnt actually 2 so you tie yourself to the insurer

2) Most will be for a normal 12 month insurance but read the T&Cs of the individual policies to make sure.
    All posts made are simply my own opinions and are neither professional advice nor the opinions of my employers
    No Advertising or Links in Signatures by Site Rules - MSE Forum Team 2
  • Bridgy
    Bridgy Posts: 6 Forumite
    Options
    Just thought I'd share my recent experience regarding NCD Protection - I have just narrowly escaped wasting £60 on this!

I am just in the process of renewing my insurance with Privilege. I have 6 years NCD which I have protected, but have just recently made a claim after my car was broken into - my second claim in 2 years. The renewal came through with NCD Protection automatically included, BUT having read the small print I have realised that as I have already made 2 claims in the past 3 years, it would be completely useless should I claim during the next year - I'll lose 2 years NCD whether or not I take out the protection because of the 2 claims in 3 years rule!!

Privilege have confirmed this is the case, but they were still happy to try and charge me for the (useless) protection - sneaky sods!

(BTW, I have checked all the comparison sites and more, before renewing - it's the first time for many years that I've actually renewed with my existing insurer!)
  • movilogo
    movilogo Posts: 3,186 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Might be a bit off topic, but if some one needs insurance based on Non-EU foreign license, Norwich Union & Endsleigh do that albeit high premium.
    Happiness is buying an item and then not checking its price after a month to discover it was reduced further.
  • Freddie
    Freddie Posts: 57 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Does anyone know the name of the insurance company that is not longer looking at SP30s in their quotes?
  • linnping
    Options
    I think this's a good tip for saving the cost.
  • Ickle_Steve
    Ickle_Steve Posts: 154 Forumite
    Options
    Freddie wrote: »
    Does anyone know the name of the insurance company that is not longer looking at SP30s in their quotes?
    Swinton Insurance were the first. There may be others now.
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/news.html?in_article_id=455387&in_page_id=1770
    Steve
  • Karmanaut
    Karmanaut Posts: 6 Forumite
    Options
    wrote: »
    After shopping around, I've found that Sainsbury's motor insurance was the cheapest. If you have a Reward Card they give you 1000 points for signing up, plus if you pay with a Sainsbury's Visa card you'll get double points. My son who is 26, single & lives at home drives a Ford Zetec Fiesta was with Tesco but Sainsnbry's beat their price by a mile!

I just tried their website. At first they refused to consider me for car insurance because of my profession, then gave me a quote 50% more than my renewal quote. Nice friendly staff though. I think if the quote had been cheaper, I would have gone with them.

Tried Churchill too, because they guarantee to beat any renewal claim. They offered £1 off. Hmmm...
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback