Flight delay and cancellation compensation, Easyjet ONLY

Options

Comments

• benschita
    benschita Posts: 19 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    ms_mark.
    I personally would use the flightstats website and go through the 300 or more flights. MSE won't let me type in the link, so it's flightstats and then dot co dot uk!
    Good luck ( maybe try for all the flights and see if they try to dement certain flights).
  • benschita
    Options
    By the way -
    delay compensation being paid by airlines on the continent ( this includes EJ in Germany & Switzerland) is being paid out with back dated interest @ 5% !!!!!!

Just thought you might all like to know this!
  • Skid_Marks
    Skid_Marks Posts: 135 Forumite
    edited 23 March 2015 at 8:34PM
    Options
    Compensation for flight delays has to be paid in sterling not euros after Easyjet lose a court case at Liverpool:

https://www.solicitorsjournal.com
  • ms_mark
    ms_mark Posts: 11 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks Benschita.

I've written back to Easyjet informing them that they didn't fulfill my data protection request and asking them to fulfill the original request within ten days, or I'll escalate the matter to the Information Commissioner's Office. If I get no joy I'll get a large cup of coffee and check each flight in Flightstat.
  • benschita
    Options
    Hi Skid Marks & Glentoran99.
    I actually wasn't questioning the payment currency but the fact that in other countries the very same airlines are having to pay interest ( thus making it more interesting for them to pay up quickly and not drag it out for months or even years!) I wonder if you ask for the interest ( as you have to on the continent ) whether they would actually pay it?

I'm thinking the payment will probably have to be in the currency that one originally paid in ( i.e. If I bought a flight with EJ from Basel, advertised in Swiss Francs, and I chose not to change the currency I paid in, then I presume they'll pay up in that currency). I also suppose it depends on which EJ "company" feel responsible for issuing the tickets: EJ UK or EJ Europe.
  • RastaNinja
    Options
    Hi there guys,

I have a few questions that I am hoping that someone here might be able to answer? I had a flight from Manchester to Amsterdam delayed by 4 hours. I have copied the template letter, and filled it in accordingly. There were 7 of us, so the total claim amount is 1750 Euro's. My questions:

- I sent the letter through their support forum, highlighting a delayed flight as my cause for concern. (support.easyjet.com/request.do?forward=contact). Do you recommend I also send a letter by recorded delivery, or is this sufficient? The address I have for them is the one in a hanger in Luton. Is there another one that gives better results?
    - How long does it normally take them to acknowledge my complaint?
    - How long does it normally take them to compensate you? What payment method do they use (I have cancelled the bank card I used to make the booking, but the account is still open. Does this matter?).

Your thoughts on all this would be highly appreciated, thanks so much :)

Rasta Ninja
  • Scotty2015
    Options
    Hi there,
    Hoping someone can pass on some advice/point me in the direction of where to start!
    We were due to fly home from Paris to Belfast yesterday (8th April...I know, I know...we were happily oblivious to the apparent planned strike!) but received a text message from Easyjet on the afternoon of the 7th saying our flight had been cancelled and to visit easyjet.com where we could obtain a refund or a flight transfer.

When we got back to our hotel and checked the website, the only flight available to transfer onto was on Sunday night (12th) and would have meant an extra 4 nights accommodation as well as extremely unhappy bosses in work! At that time we really weren't sure what we were entitled to, I tried phoning Easyjet but couldn't get through. I followed the link they had emailed to find out our rights and read that as a strike is considered out of their control we weren't entitled to any compensation. In a panic to get home we explored other options, flights on the Friday with Air France were coming in at £300 each so we decided to book the Eurostar to London and used Easyjet's offer of rerouting to book a flight from London to Belfast tonight (9th).

We have had to pay for the Eurostar, an additional night's accommodation in the hotel and our food costs. I now read that Easyjet have a duty of care for us until we get home - are we entitled to claim back the costs we have incurred due to this cancellation? Now wondering if we should have just gone to the airport and asked the Easyjet ground team to help sort us out?! At the time we were panicking about how to get home and thought we weren't entitled to anything. Also as Easyjet had communicated the day before that the flight was cancelled we thought there was really no point wasting a trip to the airport.

I understand compensation isn't payable and we don't expect any, we are actually very appreciative of the fact the Easyjet let us know 24 hours in advance! But if anyone could advise of any entitlement we have to claim back expenses it would be very much appreciated.

Many thanks! :-)
  • JPears
    JPears Posts: 5,086 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Yes they have a duty of care, irrespective of the ATC strike being an EC ( I think) so submit your additional hotel costs/food to Easyjet for refund. Point out that at least you are only claiming one night whereas they would have been responsible for 4 nights costs if you had opted for the Sunday flight.
    If you're new. read The FAQ and Vauban's Guide

The alleged Ringleader.........
  • MYLITTLESISTERLOLA
    MYLITTLESISTERLOLA Posts: 866 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 9 April 2015 at 5:58PM
    Options
    I was due to fly to Barcelona yesterday with hubby and 3 kids, we were just waiting to board when they announce the flight was cancelled due to French strike. easyjet have exchange flights for a few months time which is great, but I'm still out £500 accommodation costs.
    Tried Easy Jet they say they aren't liable, travel insurance excess x 5 outweighs any financial benefit to putting in a claim, hotel say they can't do anything. Do I have to just take the £500 loss on the chin or is there anything else I can do ?

Also having looked into it I believe compensation from easyjet under EU legislation may be a possibility, but I'm guessing the chances are slim as it was outside their control. Two small points which could be argued are strike action was not in the departure or arrival country and other Spain flights did depart - we simply just weren't one of the lucky ones.

Thought having 3 disappointed kids and missing out on a holiday was bad enough but having to stand a financial loss makes it even more depressing.

xx one important point - easyjet were unable to offer a replacement flight for over 72 hours, so half of holiday would have been missed

Any help in this matter would be much appreciated
    TIA
    Busy mum of 3, so if my posts don't make sense or ask a silly question be patient:rotfl:
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback