Compensation for delayed flights Discussion Area

Options

Comments

• Aurora65
    Aurora65 Posts: 8 Forumite
    Options
    Hi, I booked a package holiday through TUI, but the flight was with Norwegian, who should I send the claim to?

Also is there a site where you can find out the reason for the delay, as this information was not given to us at the time.

TIA
  • Justice13075
    Justice13075 Posts: 2,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 30 July 2018 at 11:14PM
    Options
    Norwegian Air. It is the airline you fly with. Put your flight details into euclaim and then bottonline and see what they say. They probably won't tell you until you start a small claims court action.
  • JPears
    JPears Posts: 5,086 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I remember reading a post, probably within the last month, that a judge had declared compensation a "burden" or similar term which essentially meant it was due within a 28 day period. I can't find the post or any other reference to it. Anyone any ideas or links?
    Thanks
    If you're new. read The FAQ and Vauban's Guide

The alleged Ringleader.........
  • Blade74
    Blade74 Posts: 17 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Hope you read this but thanks to your advice I have just received €600 off tui !!
    Thank you for your time
  • Justice13075
    Justice13075 Posts: 2,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Your Welcome :T:T:T:T:T:T:T:T:T:T:T
  • farookn
    farookn Posts: 5 Forumite
    Options
    Today I received notification that my Ryanair flight (London to Dublin) scheduled to depart in 7 days has been cancelled due to pilot strikes. I was offered a refund, or rerouting on a flight a day earlier or day before. I checked flights with alternative carriers and at this close to the date the flights are all well over £220. Rather than accept a refund and have to book a much more expensive flight, or accept re-routing a day later and thereby missing a day of my plans I accepted a Ryanair flight departing a day earlier. This has caused me to take additional annual leave from work, and incur additional costs for an extra day's airport parking and an extra night's accommodation.

Putting aside whether pilot strikes are something which Ryanair are liable to pay compensation for (as this is under some debate), my question is: am I entitled to compensation under EU Regulation 261/2004 as I the offers of re-routing were either far later or far earlier?

I have found this on Wikipedia but it doesn't cite any sources. Does anyone else have experience of a similar situation (accepting re-routing to a much earlier flight). I think I fall outside of the highlighted exception here meaning that I should be entitled to compensation:
    The airline is also required to pay cash compensation as described below, unless one of the following conditions applies:

- the airline notifies the passengers at least two weeks prior to departure
    - the airline notifies the passengers between one and two weeks prior to departure, and re-routes passengers so that they can:
    -- depart no more than two hours earlier than scheduled, and
    -- arrive no more than four hours later than scheduled
    - the airline notifies the passengers less than one week prior to departure, and re-routes passengers so that they can:
    -- depart no more than one hour earlier than scheduled, and
    -- arrive no more than two hours later than scheduled
    - the cancellation was caused by extraordinary circumstances that could not have been avoided by any reasonable measure.

The highlighted section is close to excluding me from compensation but the flight offered (and accepted) arrives 18 hours earlier than scheduled, and alternative flights offered would arrive over 24 hours later than scheduled.

Appreciate any advice offered, thanks.
  • farookn
    farookn Posts: 5 Forumite
    Options
    farookn wrote: »
    Today I received notification that my Ryanair flight (London to Dublin) scheduled to depart in 7 days has been cancelled due to pilot strikes. I was offered a refund, or rerouting on a flight a day earlier or day before. I checked flights with alternative carriers and at this close to the date the flights are all well over £220. Rather than accept a refund and have to book a much more expensive flight, or accept re-routing a day later and thereby missing a day of my plans I accepted a Ryanair flight departing a day earlier. This has caused me to take additional annual leave from work, and incur additional costs for an extra day's airport parking and an extra night's accommodation.

Putting aside whether pilot strikes are something which Ryanair are liable to pay compensation for (as this is under some debate), my question is: am I entitled to compensation under EU Regulation 261/2004 as I the offers of re-routing were either far later or far earlier?

I have found this on Wikipedia but it doesn't cite any sources. Does anyone else have experience of a similar situation (accepting re-routing to a much earlier flight). I think I fall outside of the highlighted exception here meaning that I should be entitled to compensation:

The highlighted section is close to excluding me from compensation but the flight offered (and accepted) arrives 18 hours earlier than scheduled, and alternative flights offered would arrive over 24 hours later than scheduled.

Appreciate any advice offered, thanks.

I've found the same terms in the documentation on the EU's website and Ryanair's so I think I am entitled to 125 euros compensation once Ryanair pull their finger out and agree with the CAA's assessment that strike by the company's own employees do not count as extraordinary circumstances. I guess we'll see in a couple of months how the thousands of affected passengers get on with this.
  • notabot
    notabot Posts: 25 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thank you MSE. Following your advice I got my compensation:j
  • Tyzap
    Tyzap Posts: 2,112 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    notabot wrote: »
    Thank you MSE. Following your advice I got my compensation:j

Well done:beer:

Is that from your delay in 2015? If so what caused the delay in receiving your compensation?
    Please read Vaubans superb guide. To find it Google and then download 'vaubans guide'.
  • tobiwankenobe
    Options
    Good afternoon,
    my sister's Norwegian flight from London to New York has been changed for another 4 hours later, landing 4 hours later, next week (within 7-14 days of flying, no reason has been given).

If the flight departs and lands late is my Amercian sister entitled to compensation (I realise the amount will vary whether she lands less or more than 4 hours late)?

If so, does it matter if she applies for compensation before she flies? I realise it's better to apply on landing but I'd like to help her with the application.

Thank you for your advice.

Toby
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport