Paying board

Options
Hi, I previously made a thread about me paying board but I don't think it was written clearly. So I earn between £600-700 a month, I'm looking for permanent, full time work until I start uni next september. I pay my mom £60 board per week but the issue is, I don't know what she's putting my money towards. She claims that she has no money but she seems to be capable of buying new clothes and going on dates with her partner multiple tines a week (just the other day she got TWO pairs of timberland boots for £120 each). She woke me up today and said I need to pay the council tax and tv license which is about £86, I don't understand why the board I payed this week cannot be used towards that as that is almost my whole wage for this week gone. Because of this, I'm struggling to save money, I look for new jobs and apply every day, my mom has said that if I don't get a new job by the end of the week, I have to leave home. Anyone have any advise?

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    Mica98 wrote: »
    Hi, I previously made a thread about me paying board but I don't think it was written clearly. So I earn between £600-700 a month, I'm looking for permanent, full time work until I start uni next september. I pay my mom £60 board per week but the issue is, I don't know what she's putting my money towards. She claims that she has no money but she seems to be capable of buying new clothes and going on dates with her partner multiple tines a week (just the other day she got TWO pairs of timberland boots for £120 each). She woke me up today and said I need to pay the council tax and tv license which is about £86, I don't understand why the board I payed this week cannot be used towards that as that is almost my whole wage for this week gone. Because of this, I'm struggling to save money, I look for new jobs and apply every day, my mom has said that if I don't get a new job by the end of the week, I have to leave home. Anyone have any advise?

Her house, her rules. Was there ever any agreement as to what your £60 a week covers? In all seriousness this is your second thread on the subject and my advice is that if you don't like it, and I can understand to a certain extent why you don't, then move.
  • Mica98
    Mica98 Posts: 45 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    She's never said what the money covers and when I ask she gets argumentative which is what I'm trying to avoid. Like I said, I'm looking for full time work and a place to live.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    She's never said what the money covers and when I ask she gets argumentative which is what I'm trying to avoid. Like I said, I'm looking for full time work and a place to live.

I'm not sure what else you think posters can say that hasn't already been said in your previous thread. You're an adult, your mum doesn't have to allow you to live in her home any longer. That doesn't mean that I necessarily agree with what your mum is saying and doing but your options are to shut up and put up or leave.

Christmas is almost here and at this time of year there is usually plenty of work to go round, Yes, a lot of it will only be temporary but it's money in your pocket and work experience for your CV.
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,590 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Her house, her rules. Was there ever any agreement as to what your £60 a week covers? In all seriousness this is your second thread on the subject and my advice is that if you don't like it, and I can understand to a certain extent why you don't, then move.

I'd agree with that but it seems that OP doesn't have set rules, more like moving goal posts. :(

I'm reading that OP has given over the £60 her mum asks this week for but now the mum is asking for more to cover a household bill, So that this week we're looking at £146 from a maximum wage of about £170!

What you do to keep the peace in the short term is up to you OP. Would the £86 be taken as next week's payment for example? Longer term though I'd suggest you just keep trying hard to get another job (possibly an additional job) and/or move out. Fortunately this situation has an end to it as you'll be leaving for university in less that a year.:D

As for the £60 figure: Do you know how much your mum lost in 'income' as she no longer gets child allowance for you and (assuming there are only the two of you at home) that she lost the Council Tax concession too? While I'd personally let you save us much as possible, it's your mum's choice how she runs the home.:(
  • Mica98
    Mica98 Posts: 45 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Well at the moment, I've had to consider the possibility of being homeless
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Well at the moment, I've had to consider the possibility of being homeless

If your mother evicts you because you choose not to pay the council tax and television licence on top of the board you already pay then you will have to present yourself to the council as homeless. The council should find you a bed somewhere, most likely emergency accommodation somewhere very grotty. You may also want to contact Shelter now to discuss your options should your mother evict you.

Perhaps once you understand your options you can decide which the lesser evil is, to stump up the extra money or to tell her to poke it and run the risk of being evicted.
  • Spendless
    Spendless Posts: 24,151 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I suspect that the money you're giving gets absorbed into household 'spends' and that the extras you're being asked to give are when a bill crops up that's not been taken into consideration.

I also believe as others have suggested, your mum is looking to re-gain money lost because she no longer qualifies for child related benefits for you.

With regards to the council tax and tv licence, the money you have been asked to contribute this week, how often is this a re-occurring bill? I'm asking because the amount given isn't a full years tv licence, so Im not sure how much of it you've been asked to contribute and if you're likely to be asked for a further contribution. Re the council tax, she'll have lost the 25% discount, so not unreasonable to ask for that, but again you need to know how much and when.
  • pickledonionspaceraider
    Options
    It is an awful situation to be in, to have a family member threatening to make you homeless.

Being homeless ruins your life. There is no going forwards, only backwards, whilst you are homeless. It literally ruins your life. And if she wants to threaten this as revenge over a bill...I would be looking to leave ASAP anyway.

In terms of you wanting to know where the money goes, I do not see that she does really owe you an explanation on this, it will be getting absorbed and £60 is cheap per week. I do not understand the moving goalposts either though

If you are consistently giving your mum the £60 - why is she threatening to throw you out over you getting another job though? Really your working hours have no bearing over it, as long as you give her the board money, surely?

I hope you are OK. This situation sounds confusing

You say you are looking for a place to live, look at house shares etc and get your name on the housing waiting list in your area, hopefully it is not too long a list where you live?

Other than that, I just dont know. It is confusing.
    With love, POSR <3
  • rach_k
    rach_k Posts: 2,236 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Are you in full time education or taking a year off before uni? If you're earning £600 a month and living at home, I think £60 a week board is pretty low. What else do you have to pay for?

Have you tried offering your mum more (maybe move it to a monthly amount so it sounds like a bigger chunk of cash e.g. £300 a month sounds good but is actually just under £70 a week, or £350 a month is £80-ish) and getting her to agree what it covers at the same time? The prospect of more money might encourage her to be open about it. Even then though, if she won't tell you what it's for exactly, as long as she agrees that she won't ask for more you will just have to accept that. If she chooses to spend it on nail varnish, it doesn't matter - you're still getting a good deal.

Alternatively, move out. Where else can you pay £60 a week?

Do you have any other family that might have a spare room?
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,030 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Are you by any chance near a Foyer?

Google 'supported accommodation young people' plus your county / city / area and see if there is any additional help.
    Signature removed for peace of mind
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport