Highcreditscore.co.uk & rewardsnow.co.uk [TEXT DELETED BY FORUM TEAM]

Options
girlchid
girlchid Posts: 2 Newbie
edited 21 March 2011 at 12:29PM in Consumer rights
[TEXT DELETED BY FORUM TEAM]I remember a couple of months ago requesting a credit check on line. As a result these two websites have been debiting my account of 19.95 each, each month. Does anyone know How I might be able to get my money back I am already struggling bearley being able to pay more bills and feed myself & family. [TEXT DELETED BY FORUM TEAM]
THESE WEBSITES HAVE TO BE STOPPED highcreditscore.co.uk [TEXT DELETED BY FORUM TEAM] rewardsnow.co.uk [TEXT DELETED BY FORUM TEAM]
Really unhappy.:sad::sad:

Comments

• fwor
    fwor Posts: 6,810 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    I've never had any dealings with either of these websites, but just a quick look at the Terms and Conditions on both makes it clear that they are membership based services which - after a trial period - will be charged for on a monthly basis. This is not hidden in any way that I can see, so why do you say it's a scam?

If you haven't already followed the procedure for termination of membership given in the T&Cs (Section 6) then you should do so asap.

Beware of ordering a new credit card from the same company - this is not likely to have the effect that you want.
  • Enfieldian
    Enfieldian Posts: 2,893 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Generally, when a site that supposedly offers a "free" service asks for credit card details than the service is either not "free" or likely to remain "free" for very long.

If something is truly "free" then why would I or you need to enter these details?
  • Meepster
    Meepster Posts: 5,955 Forumite
    Options
    Definition of scam:

Main Entry: scam
    • Pronunciation: \ˈskam\
    • Function: noun
    • Etymology: origin unknown
    • Date: 1963
    : a fraudulent or deceptive act or operation

The definition of a scam is NOT:

Not reading the Terms and Conditions of a website and then being upset when they take money from you.

This isn't a scam and while it preys on people like you not checking everything properly, and making money this way, it is doing nothing illegal...

Sorry, but you only have yourselves to blame...
    If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family anatidae on our hands

• zara*elise
    zara*elise Posts: 481 Forumite
    Options
    There are lots of complains about these two sites.

You should contact your bank about geting a chargeback issued. You should explain that you were issued a ten day free trial with highcreditscore but unauthorised payments to rewardsnow have been taken. They may be able to help, otherwise, as stated in their t&c it looks like they do state it's a membership service.

All the best.

xx
    Foreign politicians often zing stereotypical tunes, mayday, mayday, Venezuela, neck
  • pinkshoes
    pinkshoes Posts: 20,089 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    zara*elise wrote: »
    You should explain that you were issued a ten day free trial with highcreditscore but unauthorised payments to rewardsnow have been taken.

The payment is NOT unauthorised, because you signed up to the T&Cs, which you had to agree to before they'd allow you to use their service!!

It quite clearly states:

3. ACCEPTANCE AND TERM OF MEMBERSHIP

3.1 You (or a Member) indicate acceptance of these Terms of Membership and agreement to pay the relevant charges by clicking the “YES” button on the Scheme enrolment page or by otherwise using the Scheme’s website. Once this button is clicked there is a legally binding contract between the Member and us in the terms of these Terms of Membership (i.e. this Agreement).

It also states you need to terminate the membership by writing to them or calling them.

This is quite clearly YOUR mistake, so perhaps you should take some responsibility for your action rather than trying to blame others and claim it's a scam.
    Should've = Should HAVE (not 'of')
    Would've = Would HAVE (not 'of')

No, I am not perfect, but yes I do judge people on their use of basic English language. If you didn't know the above, then learn it! (If English is your second language, then you are forgiven!)
  • zara*elise
    zara*elise Posts: 481 Forumite
    edited 26 August 2009 at 6:55PM
    Options
    I haven't used this comapny, in case you misunderstood, and the tone of your post wasn't appreciated.

I get what you're saying re: free trials, however most of the complaints on other websites stem from the fact this third party company (rewardsnow.co.uk) is ALSO taking out money which is clearly unauthorised. That's the point I'm trying to make.

Another complaint was that the phoneline was never answered, and letters went presumably unopened. If the customer cannot contact the company in order to cancel, and despite phonecalls and letters the companies are still taking UNAUTHORISED payments, then you can state they are unauthorised. Twice in fact.

The fact is, these sites operate marginally and technically within the law, but their business practises leave a lot to be desired. They prey on the less astute, which when you think about it could be your mother/father/grandparent/aunty/uncle. A little compassion and empathy goes a long way.

xx
    Foreign politicians often zing stereotypical tunes, mayday, mayday, Venezuela, neck
  • Firefox1975
    Options
    zara*elise wrote: »
    I haven't used this comapny, in case you misunderstood, and the tone of your post wasn't appreciated.

I get what you're saying re: free trials, however most of the complaints on other websites stem from the fact this third party company (rewardsnow.co.uk) is ALSO taking out money which is clearly unauthorised. That's the point I'm trying to make.

Another complaint was that the phoneline was never answered, and letters went presumably unopened. If the customer cannot contact the company in order to cancel, and despite phonecalls and letters the companies are still taking UNAUTHORISED payments, then you can state they are unauthorised. Twice in fact.

The fact is, these sites operate marginally and technically within the law, but their business practises leave a lot to be desired. They prey on the less astute, which when you think about it could be your mother/father/grandparent/aunty/uncle. A little compassion and empathy goes a long way.

xx

You feel a bit bad cos you were taken for a ride my friend.

I am sorry

You've lost the money - Don't lose the lesson.:(
  • fwor
    fwor Posts: 6,810 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Ok, I see what you mean. If they are using the details that you entered on highcreditscore.co.uk to sign you up for a completely different service, and if they are making it impossible for you to follow their cancellation procedure, then it's obviously a con.

I would suggest sending a Recorded Delivery letter to their registered office cancelling the service you actually signed up to and demanding a full refund on the one you didn't.

When you get no response, send a copy of the letter plus proof of delivery to your credit card company, reuesting a chargeback on the unauthorised payments, and stating that any future charges from that company will also be unauthorised.

I'm not sure if the last bit will have any effect. If not you may need to keep requesting chargebacks, but that's probably no bad thing, as Adaptive Afinity's merchant provider will start to have serious words with them if they get lots of those.
  • zara*elise
    Options
    You feel a bit bad cos you were taken for a ride my friend.

I am sorry

You've lost the money - Don't lose the lesson.:(

Hmm, I take it thoroughly reading a post isn't one of your strong points? :confused:
  • HernetheHunter
    HernetheHunter Posts: 1 Newbie
    edited 21 March 2011 at 12:32PM
    Options
    [TEXT DELETED BY FORUM TEAM] The two 'credit score' companies are one and the same, and are linked to Rewardsnow.co.uk. They all have the same postal address, in Edgware, London. All my wife was guilty of was not reading the VERY small print. Making a simple enquiry has cost her £90. Sixty for the two payments [TEXT DELETED BY FORUM TEAM] and the thirty pounds charge for going overdrawn for less than twenty-four hours. I would urge anybody checking out ANY internet site. Especially if you are new to computers and the internet. Read, read, and read again the small print and NEVER give your bank or credit card details to anybody BEFORE you are SATISFIED that, 1) you understand the terms of this "free" service, and 2) you are satisfied that it is a legitimate company. It would save this happening to you.:eek:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure