Options

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 5,186 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 16 October 2019 at 9:25AM
    Options
    curriej99 wrote: »

**EDIT - Hang on that refers to the deal further up the page. Links to the same page. In that case, this banner is badly worded. It reads as though it's £6/month for 12 months PLUS £70 cashback. I signed up for this today Grrrr! Okay thanks for noticing that. Should I delete the post maybe?

I see you've added an edit but I would also strikeout the original text.

If you highlight the part you want to strikeout click the bold button and then change the [/B] to a [/S] and the to a

Example

You can do it directly if you use the 'Go Advanced' option.
  • curriej99
    Options
    Or £3.50 on a 24 month O2 contract with unlimited minues/texts and a free phone on a cashback contract. Very expensive nowadays.

Got a link for that? I can't find it
  • Caerwyn
    Options
    I recently renegotiated my SIM free contract with BT Mobile ( over the live chat – I find it easier to get deals via chat with a range of companies ). I am paying £20 p / m – 100Gb data per month, unlimited calls and texts plus BT Sport. I will be using tethering a lot from now on. I previously had 50 Gb p/ m – not a bad deal ?
  • mobilejunkie
    Options
    curriej99 wrote: »
    Got a link for that? I can't find it

No, but you need to check daily on comparison sites to find the best cashback deals - and nowadays most of those don't work (probably since cashback deals aren't nearly as good or as common.

Will will pm you.
  • DocProc
    DocProc Posts: 855 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 16 October 2019 at 1:29PM
    Options
    Changed over to a Three 24GB - 2 yr data-only SIM for my USA holiday (so as to use WhatsApp for all my calls, texts, calls with photos, etc). This changed my number over to the new Three number on the SIM but, since I was only ever going to be calling a very small number of people, I wasn't bothered about this - I merely told them the new Three number to use for me whilst I was going to be away in the USA.

Now I'm back in the UK and I've put back/replaced my old BT regular 4GB SIM card into the mobile phone.

Grrr?

My mobile phone is still showing the Three SIM mobile number and hasn't reverted back to the BT one.

Help! What do I need to do? All those many people on my Contacts list won't be able to call me!
  • Rich2808
    Rich2808 Posts: 1,332 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    DocProc wrote: »
    Changed over to a Three 24GB - 2 yr data-only SIM for my USA holiday (so as to use WhatsApp for all my calls, texts, calls with photos, etc). This changed my number over to the new Three number on the SIM but, since I was only ever going to be calling a very small number of people, I wasn't bothered about this - I merely told them the new Three number to use for me whilst I was going to be away in the USA.

Now I'm back in the UK and I've put back/replaced my old BT regular 4GB SIM card into the mobile phone.

Grrr?

My mobile phone is still showing the Three SIM mobile number and hasn't reverted back to the BT one.

Help! What do I need to do? All those many people on my Contacts list won't be able to call me!

What phone is it - I presume its an unlocked phone given you swapped before?

Could be lots of reasons - first you could try restarting/rebooting the phone which often works on iphones and others.

If that doesn't work call BT to ask them - there could also be a problem your BT SIM?

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/49917/~/my-bt-mobile-sim-card-doesnt-work
  • Rich2808
    Rich2808 Posts: 1,332 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 16 October 2019 at 1:54PM
    Options
    No, but you need to check daily on comparison sites to find the best cashback deals - and nowadays most of those don't work (probably since cashback deals aren't nearly as good or as common.

Will will pm you.

Also the reviews aren't good on topcashback for several of the big firms actually paying out the cashback and if they do it can take several months often with you having to get TCB to nudge them - so read the reviews first. There is always a risk of the application not tracking - and sometimes it can be better to use other incentives (e.g. refer a friend if you know someone on that network) which can earn you more/may pay out sooner.

I applied via TCB for one sim and got referred for a credit check by phone - even though I had completed the application on line they refused the payout as a result (even though the phone call was at their insistence not mine). No problem with them doing the checks - but it seemed a bit unfair as I applied wholly on line - and they insisted I called them to complete it.
  • mobilejunkie
    mobilejunkie Posts: 8,460 Forumite
    Options
    Rich2808 wrote: »
    Also the reviews aren't good on topcashback for several of the big firms actually paying out the cashback and if they do it can take several months often with you having to get TCB to nudge them - so read the reviews first. There is always a risk of the application not tracking - and sometimes it can be better to use other incentives (e.g. refer a friend if you know someone on that network) which can earn you more/may pay out sooner.

I applied via TCB for one sim and got referred for a credit check by phone - even though I had completed the application on line they refused the payout as a result (even though the phone call was at their insistence not mine). No problem with them doing the checks - but it seemed a bit unfair as I applied wholly on line - and they insisted I called them to complete it.

You're referring to a different sort of cashback; I didn't include that (it is separate and additional). TCB and Quidco are appalling when a dealer refuses to pay up. The cashback I'm talking about is legally enforceable and I don't have too much trouble one way or another with extracting cashback from them. CPW are best avoided if you don't enjoy an occasional fight and want to wait weeks, but I've had thousands from them over the years.
  • slb2008
    slb2008 Posts: 32 Forumite
    Options
    One little gripe about the https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/phones/cheap-sim-only-contracts/ page is that it does not explain what happens when you go over your allowance.

The best buy of 1GB/month from idMobile is great but ocaasionally I use more than 1GB in a month, my highest usage in the last year is 2GB in a month.

https://www.idmobile.co.uk/help-and-advice/call-charges shows the cost of an additional 1MB is £0.1024. So an extra 1GB in a month is over £100.

Elsewhere I found the Smarty mini-plan which is also £5 per month but only gives 500MB of data. On that basis it is not a best buy (and is not even mentioned in the guide). But if I need more data it costs £1.25 per GB, so a high usage month would cost me £7.50. For me, this seems to be the best money-saving option.

Any chance of the guide being improved to help those whose usage varies from month to month?
  • onefurlongout
    Options
    Hi,

Is it possible to end my O2 contract and switch to a sim only deal with them or do I have to port my number over to another provider?

Regards
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure