How would you feel? the same or do I need a kick up the rear?

Options

Comments

• Caroline_a
    Caroline_a Posts: 4,071 Forumite
    Options
    I hate the 'kept woman' thing. I've always had to stand on my own two feet, sometimes with 3 jobs at a time to keep body and soul (and my daughters) together.

However it is what it is. Your mother will now have to learn quickly how to be self sufficient. Shop work might work if she's in an area of high employment, failing that maybe some phone work, customer service, etc. She cannot continue to expect other people to bail her out, particularly her children. That's not how it works.

Keep strong OP, we are all behind you!
  • supermezzo
    supermezzo Posts: 1,055 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Get a lodger in - say its to help with the mortgage and to replace the savings you used helping her out. Then you don't have a spare room anymore - problem solved.
    It aint over til I've done singing....
  • Slinky
    Slinky Posts: 10,007 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I bet she's one of those women who float through life, doing poor little me, I'm helpless and need looking after, getting by on her looks, and at 58 time is catching up with her.
    Make £2024 in 2024
    Prolific to 29/2/24 £184.97, Chase Interest £11.88, Chase roundup interest £0.18, Chase CB £16.96, Roadkill £1.10, Octopus referral reward £50, Octopoints £6.30 to 31/1/24, Topcashback £4.64, Shopmium £3
    Total £279.03/£2024  13.8%

Make £2023 in 2023
    Water sewerage refund: £170.62,Topcashback: £243.47, Prolific: to 31/12/23 £975, Haggling: £45, Wombling(Roadkill): £6.04,  Chase CB £149.34, Chase roundup interest £1.35, WeBuyBooks:£8.37, Misc sales: £406.59, Delay repay £22, Amazon refund £3.41, EDF Smart Meter incentive £100, Santander Edge Cashback-Fees: £25.14, Octopus Reward £50, Bank transfer incentives £400
    Total: £2606.33/£2023  128.8%

• Thistle-down
    Options
    Elinore wrote: »

Ps my Dad is a nice guy, honest. He still has a soft spot for my mum - they were together a very long time. He just wants to see her safe and looked after. His new wife is a nice person too - sadly they live abroad so no joy in getting them to stump up a room (that and my mother loathes his new wife - i mean LOATHES)

full explanation later.

It bothers me that no one here seems concerned about your welfare, that they are perfectly ok with you being unhappy as long as your mother gets what she wants.

If she is truly homeless, her council has a duty to keep a roof over her head despite past actions. It may not be where she likes, but she will not be living rough.

The pressure to do as your father and relatives ask must be enormous, I hope you are able to stay strong and not sacrifice your and your husband's future and well being for the sake of your mother.
    :happylove
  • chesky
    chesky Posts: 1,341 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Your mother LOATHES your father's new wife? Tough. But it has no bearing on the situation.
    Your father wants to see her safe and looked after? Fine. So he can foot the bill.
    IT'S NOT YOUR PROBLEM ANY MORE. You've done your bit.

Be very careful that you don't anger your husband in this. He sounds like a saint, so hang onto him.
  • Jojo_the_Tightfisted
    Options
    If it's so important to your father, then he can get her somewhere and act as guarantor or fly her out to live with him and his wife as a housekeeper/maid. If she's made him feel guilty about leaving her for somebody else, it's obviously his responsibility that he hasn't left her in a secure position for life, isn't it?

I wouldn't entertain any further contact about the matter.
    I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.
    colinw wrote: »
    Yup you are officially Rock n Roll :D
  • badmemory
    badmemory Posts: 7,832 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 1 September 2016 at 1:59AM
    Options
    I don't normally post on this part of the forum even though I do read some things. It reads to me like you have got manipulative parents. Yes I do mean both of them. Do not let them. Believe it or not it is something that they can still remember how to do even when they have dementia and can barely remember who you are.

This is the sort of situation that answering machines were made for (that's back when I needed them) and what caller ID is for now. Please do not give in to them. Your future self WILL thank you as will your husband. He seems to be worth all the rest put together.

My suggestion - move house, don't tell anyone where you are moving to, but just to stop you worrying too much get your post forwarded for 2 years - the max they do. Then wait for all family to prove they are not trying to land you with the problem before you get back in touch.

ETA No you (and your OH) don't need a kick up the rear - I'm reserving judgement on the rest of your family.
  • Laconic
    Laconic Posts: 186 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Elinore wrote: »
    Thanks everyone - this is just a FYI as i am just out the door (i will reply in full later and outline in full the issues below) this is just the short n sweet version.

My Mother will have trouble renting:

She doesn't work. she never has done. She has always been a kept woman and is proud of the fact. She has no workplace skills, cant use a PC. Wont do care work (its dirty) and has never signed on. So no demonstrable way to pay rent.

I fully understand. I have a sibling I'm struggling with who, while far more responsible than your mom, has a habit of creating situations and letting others pick up the tab. It has taken me years and thousands of pounds to finally just say 'no, I can't help you'. And trust me, I've got it easier than you do.

However, there is nothing to be gained from taking her in. Her lifestyle has worked *well* for her for 58 years and she isn't intending to change. You will get ALL of her: both her good side -- I bet she's a lively, funny person when she's good and tender when the mood takes her -- and the bad. Every last bit of drama, every quarrel with the new neighbours, every poison message she carries between you and your hubby, every past-due payment, every fraud, every unpleasantness will come with her.

It's heartbreaking to say "I'm sorry, I cannot help you" and to keep saying it when envoys keep arriving painting the most heart-wrenching pictures, but for your long-term peace of mind, stick with it. She is almost certainly not going to be living in a box on the street and the intensity of the pressure will reduce as this becomes manifest. Don't call back, don't explain, don't engage. If they have to put in 100% of the work, they will give up, whearas so long as you ring back, email and what have you, even to give your side of the story, they still have hope and will keep on doing so.

Keep strong. It's worth it.
    LBM: June 2023. Amount owed: ~£10,000I've gone debt free before, I can do it again!
  • Kim_kim
    Kim_kim Posts: 3,726 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    She has behaved in this fashion for a lifetime and she isn't going to change now. Be very careful that her behaviour doesn't cause waves in your own life that wreck your marriage.

Good luck.

OP - she's your mother & you hate being around her or the thought of having her living with you, your DH has no such blood investment with her.
    If you do relent & have her & she carries on as she has all her life, it could well destroy your marriage.
    It would be tough having a "nice" third adult (not your child) share your home, your mother would be hell.
  • BlondeHeadOn
    Options
    Thank the Lord you didn't receive the promised house deposit from your mother all those months ago! Just think how much harder it would be now to say 'NO' to her when she needs somewhere to live if you had...

I had a relative like this, and it cost me thousands of pounds and a load of heartache - until I finally realised that I was doing her no favours by bailing her out with money on a regular basis. So I said no and meant it, and it was one of the hardest things I've ever done. But you know what? She survived just fine, and even sorted herself out a bit.

Stay strong and carry on. You are doing the right thing.

:T
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport