Car Scrappage Scheme

Options

Comments

• hethmar
    hethmar Posts: 10,678 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    Options
    On a journey down to the west country recently, I was perplexed by the guy in front at a service station, continually trying to ram the petrol nozzle into the car he was driving on plates. I sat there watching him then use his mobile and return to trying to get this nozzle into the car. When OH came back from paying for our fuel the chap spoke to him, shaking his head and saying there was something wrong with the car petrol cap. OH pointed out that the car was a diesel :eek: Hope I get a brighter bloke delivering my diesel in 9 weeks time.
  • memmsy
    memmsy Posts: 7 Forumite
    Options
    Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
  • memmsy
    Options
    Sorry, slippy fingers

Hi there, I could do with some help.

I'm in the process of buying a new honda jazz using the scrappage scheme. Although I own and tax the car to be scrapped ( a 95 polo) my husband insures the car. It is an any driver policy but shows him as the main driver.

The honda dealership say that as my name is not on the policy it is not eligible as evidence for the government scheme and that I will have to pay to add myself as a named driver to the policy for the time when the new car arrives. Seemingly this is paper exercise so they can photocopy an insurance document that has my name printed on it in reference to the car that is being scrapped (even though they already have all the other relevant documents)

It seems a little backwards to me, and although I'll go ahead as I want to buy the car and I want my discount, I just wondered if anyone out there knew why this is the case and whether I have any comeback on this at all? I'd rather not have to go through the hassle of it all!

Any help would be appreciated, thanks!
  • hethmar
    Options
    I guess the idea is that the car is insured - if the insurance papers give the cars details, cant see its a problem, but the dealers all seem to be covering their ****** in this scheme.

The scrappage team should be able to tell you, email them - addy is a few posts above or phone them - number even further posts above :)
  • memmsy
    Options
    cool, ok thanks, will email them.
  • Mark_Michalowski
    Options
    hethmar wrote: »
    Mark, if it was the scrappage team - get them to put it in writing, even an email which you can print off and give to the dealer.

Good thinking, Batman!! :)

Cheers!

Mxx
  • mintster
    mintster Posts: 265 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Number is 0207 2153870. Womans name is Anita Sandy.
  • hethmar
    Options
    [EMAIL="Scrappage@berr.gsi.gov.uk"]Scrappage@berr.gsi.gov.uk[/EMAIL]
  • kento_2
    kento_2 Posts: 21 Forumite
    Options
    hethmar wrote: »
    On a journey down to the west country recently, I was perplexed by the guy in front at a service station, continually trying to ram the petrol nozzle into the car he was driving on plates. I sat there watching him then use his mobile and return to trying to get this nozzle into the car. When OH came back from paying for our fuel the chap spoke to him, shaking his head and saying there was something wrong with the car petrol cap. OH pointed out that the car was a diesel :eek: Hope I get a brighter bloke delivering my diesel in 9 weeks time.

Very strange - I'm perplexed also. It's simple enough putting petrol into a diesel car. What type of car was it? But putting diesel into a petrol car, now that is difficult because the nozzle is too big to fit in.
  • DKLS
    DKLS Posts: 13,459 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Is scrappage only available on small sensible, fuel efficient cars? Or could I get something I actually enjoy driving?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure