Drunk driving in a Motability car.

Options

Comments

• Weekend_warrior
    Options
    Hi again,
    Do any of you know if it is in Royal sun alliances terms and conditions that because she has been convicted of drunk driving they will refuse to pay for the written off Motability vehicle?????
    Usually it is a clear breach in most car insurance policies but perhaps there is a special arrangement between RSA and Motability due to the volume of buisiness Motability gives RSA.
    It would be interesting to see if anyone on here has access to a copy of RSA's Terms and conditions and any exclusions for driving a Motability car.

W.W.
  • tomitma
    tomitma Posts: 390 Forumite
    Options
    Royal and Sun Alliance do not pay out for anyone who has an accident whilst they are drunk, they will pay for the other car if another car is involved, but they then sue the drunk driver for all costs incurred by them.

It may be that she hasent informed them that she was convicted of drunk driving, the police don't inform insurance companies, it all depends on what she told them about how the car became a write off. If I had the information that you have I would call Royal and Sun Alliance and inform them that she has been convicted, she can be traced on there systems by just giving the car details and her name.
  • Weekend_warrior
    Weekend_warrior Posts: 85 Forumite
    edited 2 August 2010 at 9:46PM
    Options
    tomitma wrote: »
    Royal and Sun Alliance do not pay out for anyone who has an accident whilst they are drunk, they will pay for the other car if another car is involved, but they then sue the drunk driver for all costs incurred by them.

It may be that she hasent informed them that she was convicted of drunk driving, the police don't inform insurance companies, it all depends on what she told them about how the car became a write off. If I had the information that you have I would call Royal and Sun Alliance and inform them that she has been convicted, she can be traced on there systems by just giving the car details and her name.

Hi tomitma,
    I couldn't do what you are suggesting as I know her, I am just astounded at how simple "getting away with it" seems!
    Surely RSA would ask for a police accident report as they have to pay for the written off vehicle at the cost of £12-£13,000 and surely that report would say that the driver was breathalized and charged with Drunk driving?????
    W.W.
  • only_mee
    only_mee Posts: 2,367 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    If you can't, I can ;)
  • Duncombe
    Duncombe Posts: 509 Forumite
    Options
    This thread interested me so i did abit of research. The motability website states that

When you visit the dealership you will need to provide the dealer with:
    • Your driving licence and/or driving licences for any other named drivers
    • Your letter of award entitlement
    • Proof of address, such as a recent utility bill
    You will also be asked to provide details of any previous accidents and driving convictions that you, or your named drivers, may have.

Perhaps the woman in question has managed to sidetrack this as she is not naming herself as a named driver.

I still think you should give this womans name to only_mee...
  • Weekend_warrior
    Options
    Duncombe wrote: »
    This thread interested me so i did abit of research. The motability website states that

When you visit the dealership you will need to provide the dealer with:
    • Your driving licence and/or driving licences for any other named drivers
    • Your letter of award entitlement
    • Proof of address, such as a recent utility bill
    You will also be asked to provide details of any previous accidents and driving convictions that you, or your named drivers, may have.

Perhaps the woman in question has managed to sidetrack this as she is not naming herself as a named driver.

I still think you should give this womans name to only_mee...

Hi Duncombe,
    She had ordered her new car prior to being convicted of drunk driving.....Sorry! I can't give out the person involved name as it would go against everything I hold dear.

W.W.
  • MrLeeLee
    MrLeeLee Posts: 163 Forumite
    edited 3 August 2010 at 10:23AM
    Options
    Hi Duncombe,
    She had ordered her new car prior to being convicted of drunk driving.....Sorry! I can't give out the person involved name as it would go against everything I hold dear.

W.W.

This is probably why she went looking for a new car 10 days after writing the other one off, from the sounds of things it seems like she knew that if she ordered it after being convicted she wouldn't be able to get around it. Whatever way I look at it, IN MY OPINION she (or anyone who drink drives) doesn't deserve getting a new one (even if she doesn't drive it, but I will come to that in a min)
    Duncombe wrote: »
    Perhaps the woman in question has managed to sidetrack this as she is not naming herself as a named driver..

Now I don't want to accuse anyone of anything and I could be totally wide of the mark here, but from what I have read (from her friend no less) this woman seems to have no care for anyones safety or the law.

Unless there is a physical reason why she wont be able to drive the new car, it wouldn't surprise me if her not being the named driver wasn't an issue for her. I wont go no further than that, but I think people will understand what I mean.

No matter which way I look at it, I think it's unbelievably stupid that she can go out 10 days after writing a car off for drink driving, and start the ball rolling to get another one.
    but if that's the way Motability do things who are we to complain?

I think this is one case we DO have the right to complain, it's shocking. I am pretty sure if motability knew about the conviction, she wouldn't be able to get another car. I can only assume she's somehow managed to avoid the question, blatantly lie about it, or something has been majorly overlooked at motability.
  • margaretclare
    margaretclare Posts: 10,789 Forumite
    Options
    Just a question: if someone is banned from driving but, under the Motability rules, can obtain a replacement car for someone else to drive, how is it possible to ensure that the banned driver does not drive it?
    [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Æ[/FONT]r ic wisdom funde, [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]æ[/FONT]r wear[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]ð[/FONT] ic eald.
    Before I found wisdom, I became old.
  • only_mee
    only_mee Posts: 2,367 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    how is it possible to ensure that the banned driver does not drive it?
    If this does happen maybe Weekend Warrior will report her, or maybe not ;)
  • NAR
    NAR Posts: 4,863 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    how is it possible to ensure that the banned driver does not drive it?
    You can't, in the same way you can't stop any banned driver from driving again - unless they are detected by the police.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure