Virgin Media retention deals (post your haggling successes)

Options

Comments

• Sue_S
    Sue_S Posts: 302 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    edited 14 December 2018 at 10:13PM
    Options
    Cancelled yesterday afternoon, call back this morning from retentions. Same package, i.e. Full house, 200mb and landline (which we never use) down from £74 to £45. Plus a £50 credit. Happy with that.
  • fondue
    fondue Posts: 229 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 14 December 2018 at 2:51PM
    Options
    Just cancelled and hoping retentions call me back.

They basically offered me a deal where it would go cost me a fiver a month more if I didn't pay my line rental in advance.

Got a month to wait for them to call me.

Absolute joke of a company. Been with them for nearly 20 years, not bothered about loyalty whatsoever.
  • latecomer
    latecomer Posts: 4,321 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Anon wrote: »
    Sorry to say, that isn't a very good deal compared to what others have achieved, but if you are happy then that is all that matters.

This is an example of a new customer offer - £28 for 100mb, landline and weekend calls (£75 account credit too):

https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/vivid-100-landline-28-12-months-at-virginmediacom-uswitch-3133870

Admittedly not anytime calls, player tv or premier sport, but there will be deals round for them too. Our retention deal last month was £45 per month with £50 credit for Full House.

You can cancel again within the cooling off period - search hotukdeals for further examples of what others have achieved.

Well aware its not the best deal but given its just before Christmas and that was the best deal I'd been offered I decided to take it. I've had it as low as £16 excluding premiersport in the past 3 years so I guess you cant win all the time.

One problem we have is that we cant get fibre broadband from anyone else so its Virgin or ADSL.

I'm planning on either getting a freesat dish or aerial so I can go to freeview/freesat next year and hence have more bargaining power
  • latecomer
    Options
    fondue wrote: »
    Just cancelled and hoping retentions call me back.

They basically offered me a deal where it would go cost me a fiver a month more if I didn't pay my line rental in advance.

Got a month to wait for them to call me.

Absolute joke of a company. Been with them for nearly 20 years, not bothered about loyalty whatsoever.

The general sales/upgrades dept has limited ability to give deals - its the rentions dept you need to get a decent deal. Make sure you research the alternatives so you know whether you are offered a deal or not
  • fondue
    Options
    latecomer wrote: »
    The general sales/upgrades dept has limited ability to give deals - its the rentions dept you need to get a decent deal. Make sure you research the alternatives so you know whether you are offered a deal or not

It was retentions I spoke to. I am seasoned veteran getting deals but this time the offer was poor
  • fondue
    Options
    No call back yet.....only two days since cancelling. Usually are they quicker if you cancel?
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    No call back yet.....only two days since cancelling. Usually are they quicker if you cancel?
    There's never any guarantee that they will call you back, I've always been more proactive and contacted them first.
  • Anon
    Anon Posts: 14,545 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options

It's the weekend - outbound don't work weekends so far as I am aware?

I would give them a bit longer before you panic.
  • latecomer
    Options
    Anon wrote: »
    It's the weekend - outbound don't work weekends so far as I am aware?

I would give them a bit longer before you panic.

I'm 99% sure we've had calls from retentions over the weekend.

I've found it normally takes a few days before you get a call. We got a another call after what I was told was the final offer - although I had given up by that time and didn't expect any further contact.
  • dunton10
    Options
    In case it helps someone else here are details of the deal I’ve just negotiated.
    TV none
    Phone weekend calls only
    Broadband vivid 50 = 50 mbps unlimited useage
    £23 pm but with a loyalty bonus of £50 works out at £19 pm for 18 months.

Existing Contract ended 30 November. I was on evening and weekend calls and vivid 100 at £17 pm because last year I paid line rental of £166 up front.
    They quoted £41 as the renewal which on first phone call they reduced to £33 for vivid 50. Saying they couldn’t reduce further.

I declined and advised them to cancel the service last night as I could get similar with sky or Plusnet for £19pm albeit that speed would be 10mbps only.
    First thing this morning at 9.15 I get a call agreeing the above £19 pm deal. I’m happy as I get to stay on 50mbps which is plenty for my usage.

So deals are out there but looks like you have to instigate cancellation before the retention section get involved, and they have more scope for negotiation.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback