Finances causing issues in Relationship

Options

Comments

• Stoke
    Stoke Posts: 3,182 Forumite
    Options
    I wonder if there's some resentment from her that she's paying for all of the essentials (and having to struggle to do so), whereas you pay for the fun stuff? And by extension, you could stop paying for the fun stuff if you chose - but she would still have to pay for the essentials because, well, they're essential.

A full and frank discussion is the only way forward. I have to confess I don't really understand the 'I contribute enough' line - your woman and her kids aren't some sort of charity. You're either in it together, or you're not in it at all.

I wonder if this advice would be shared if the OP was female. The MSE modus operandi appears to be that when a female (in a relationship) is in control of her finances and retaining financial independence, it's seen as some sort of empowered feminist statement but when a man is in control of his finances, it appears to be at the expense of their female partner, as you're alluding to here.

I think what the OP is saying, is that he is financially supporting her two children while her former partner is contributing zero. I totally understand his position on this. They might not be a charity case, but they are also partly someone else's responsibility and yet, they are not financially supporting those two children. I totally agree that a partner is not a charity, but at the same time, there is nothing wrong with retaining some financial independence of your own and I think the OP should endeavour to do this.
  • SuperPikachu
    Options
    Do let us know how it goes!
  • scubadrummer
    Options
    Stoke wrote: »
    I wonder if this advice would be shared if the OP was female. The MSE modus operandi appears to be that when a female (in a relationship) is in control of her finances and retaining financial independence, it's seen as some sort of empowered feminist statement but when a man is in control of his finances, it appears to be at the expense of their female partner, as you're alluding to here.

I think what the OP is saying, is that he is financially supporting her two children while her former partner is contributing zero. I totally understand his position on this. They might not be a charity case, but they are also partly someone else's responsibility and yet, they are not financially supporting those two children. I totally agree that a partner is not a charity, but at the same time, there is nothing wrong with retaining some financial independence of your own and I think the OP should endeavour to do this.

Stoke you are correct in your second paragraph. Thing is I am paying for the essentials and the fun stuff also. As i say i really don't have an issue and I dont see them as a charity, far from it. If it is needed then i will sort it, i just get the feeling everyone thinks i have unlimited cash which is far from it. I have always been careful with my money while my partner lives for the day. I know there should be a balance which I feel i have about right. I do put some money away each month but i have been doing that for the last 20 years. I am not sitting on a big pile of cash at the end of the month watching while she struggles, i am usually down to the last few pounds myself.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    If you are dipping into savings just to pay for shopping and meals out, then you are living beyond your means.

However, if you a squirreling away your own money for your 'nest egg' and it's having an impact on your ability to run a household, then perhaps you should look at that too.

The key is balance. If your partner sees that you've got no money and are in the red at times because you insist on saving a large amount for your future, as a partnership she is probably entitled to offer you advice.
  • Stoke
    Options
    Stoke you are correct in your second paragraph. Thing is I am paying for the essentials and the fun stuff also. As i say i really don't have an issue and I dont see them as a charity, far from it. If it is needed then i will sort it, i just get the feeling everyone thinks i have unlimited cash which is far from it. I have always been careful with my money while my partner lives for the day. I know there should be a balance which I feel i have about right. I do put some money away each month but i have been doing that for the last 20 years. I am not sitting on a big pile of cash at the end of the month watching while she struggles, i am usually down to the last few pounds myself.

Nobody has unlimited cash, and that is perhaps something you should put forward when you sit down and talk about it.
  • heartbreak_star
    Options
    If she's willing to sit down and have a serious talk, fantastic. If not, stop paying for the fun stuff and explain why if she asks?

HBS x
    "I believe in ordinary acts of bravery, in the courage that drives one person to stand up for another."

"It's easy to know what you're against, quite another to know what you're for."

#Bremainer
  • newatc
    newatc Posts: 846 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I suppose this depends on how you view the relationship.

Are you two people who share a home, are you partners or are you a family?
    If you are a true partnership or a family unit, then I don't think its right that one person earns 3 times as much as the other and is comfortable while the other struggles and lives in an overdraft to make ends meet. That doesn't meet any definition of partnership I can think of!

If you're a family, then you have a responsibility to the children even though you didn't father them. By moving in together you've reduced the amount of help she can get from the state, you are expected to step up.
    So which is it?

This sums up my feeling. My wife has barely worked throughout our married life, thus 98% of income into the house has come from me but she has brought up our 3 children. Everything we have is regarded as joint and I wouldn't want it any different.
    Of course, if you don't regard your partner as an equal or don't regard yourself as a father to the children then you effectively don't meet the family unit criteria in quoted post and only you can decide how much you contribute to the arrangement but if you feel you are a family then I would suggest a monetary negotiation is not the way to go. That wouldn't rule out discussing the family income, expenditure and savings.
  • joey88
    Options
    I think what you are paying is more than fair.

You pay half of most things and contribute where needs be.

I agree, you both need to sit down and talk. She must be a fair person deep down - what is the real problem here?

Is it the children's funding she is annoyed about? I agree that their father needs to be paying his way and further action needs to be taken with this.

However I also agree with Red-Squirrel. It depends on how you view the relationship. If you have moved in and have become a family - a unit, then you do have a responsibility.
  • Red-Squirrel_2
    Options
    I think it might do you both good to post on the debt free wannabe part of the forum.

You don’t say if she works full time but as the children are teenagers and you say she ‘works hard for a low wage’ i’m going to make an assumption that she’s on the NMW for a full time job.

If you then earn three times as much as that, with no childcare to pay as the kids are older, then you should be in a pretty comfortable position as a family. If you post your circumstances on debt free wannabe they are really helpful and non-judgemental and will help you come up with a way to budget as a household all together where nobody needs to feel resentful or hard done by.
  • Stoke
    edited 22 January 2019 at 2:11PM
    Options
    newatc wrote: »
    This sums up my feeling. My wife has barely worked throughout our married life, thus 98% of income into the house has come from me but she has brought up our 3 children. Everything we have is regarded as joint and I wouldn't want it any different.
    Of course, if you don't regard your partner as an equal or don't regard yourself as a father to the children then you effectively don't meet the family unit criteria in quoted post and only you can decide how much you contribute to the arrangement but if you feel you are a family then I would suggest a monetary negotiation is not the way to go. That wouldn't rule out discussing the family income, expenditure and savings.

Biggest load of nonsense ever in bold. It's not about regarding your partner as equal..... that should be a given and if it's not, there are bigger problems in your relationship. In fact, it's fair to say that in my situation, you could even argue some are more equal than others eh? It's about maintaining a level of financial autonomy though. You should be allowed to have control over your own money, while still contributing towards a joint income. Furthermore, if there is an imbalance in frivolity, why should your earnings be leaked away?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure