PPI Reclaiming successes and failures

Options

Comments

• Tracey25
    Options
    Thank you all for your advice on this matter, I really appreciate your comments and time in this matter.
  • tonymachaj
    Options
    I applied to reclaim charges on my current account at Barclays about 13 years ago and they refused, I therefore forgot about it....until this morning when I received an offer of £70.

I am now in a dilemma...... do I accept the offer? I HAD worked out it should be a couple of thousand,

What should I do? Accept or make a new claim?
  • Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 8,928 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    tonymachaj wrote: »
    I applied to reclaim charges on my current account at Barclays about 13 years ago and they refused, I therefore forgot about it....until this morning when I received an offer of £70.

I am now in a dilemma...... do I accept the offer? I HAD worked out it should be a couple of thousand,

What should I do? Accept or make a new claim?

You can't complain about historical charges since the 2009 court case, anything is better than nothing and you won't get any more by complaining again, they only deal with current hardship now
  • MrStephenP3
    Options
    What were you reclaiming: Credit Card Repayment Protection Insurance (CRP)
    Who was the provider: Egg
    How much did you get back: £2,104.35
    Did you get it back after a letter or did you go to the Financial Ombudsman: Filled in online forms at Citibank.co.uk

I knew I'd been mis-sold PPI on my EGG card, as I remember the telephone conversation in my kitchen, at the end of which I'd said "no" only to find I'd been signed up anyway a few weeks later. This is in addition to me being covered by sick pay from work. I'd never got round to applying, though, as I thought if I went through one of the PPI claims companies they'd take the majority of the claim and I didn't have faith in my own ability to file the complaint. It turned out to be extremely simple. I first filled in an enquiry form to check whether I'd had PPI on the card at Citibank, via the Canada Square Operations website. Within a couple of weeks I'd received a letter confirming I'd had PPI and to lodge a complaint with Citibank, which I did. A further 3-4 weeks down the line and I've received a letter saying that the complaint has been upheld and I'll receive a cheque within 20 working days.

Posting here in case this is of use to anyone else that had an Egg CC and is wondering whether it's worthwhile trying to claim back the PPI. It certainly is, with the process being extremely straight forward.

Good luck!
  • Becci123
    Options
    Hi, new to the forum as need some advice - hope someone can help!

Ive just registered a claim for missold ppi on my halifax mortgage - total mortgage protection. However i am still paying the policy - do you think i should cancel right now or wait to se what the outcome of my claim is?

Many thanks in advance
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,511 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Becci123 wrote: »
    Hi, new to the forum as need some advice - hope someone can help!

Ive just registered a claim for missold ppi on my halifax mortgage - total mortgage protection. However i am still paying the policy - do you think i should cancel right now or wait to se what the outcome of my claim is?

Many thanks in advance

The TMPP is a multi-segment plan. life assurance, critical illness, income protection and MPPI. You can have one of any of the segments or multiple segments. However, only the MPPI segment is PPI. No the other segments.

Did you actually have MPPI or not?

if you dont need the plan any more then cancel it.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • ppihigh
    Options
    I largely ignored everything about PPI as I knew I had never taken it out.

However, decided a few months ago to give it a shot, so I searched for each of the main banks “PPI reclaim” and avoiding the reclaim companies used the banks own PPI online checker form.

Had 2 banks come back with confirmation I had PPI: so again I used their online forms to claim, stating I had never knowingly taken out PPI and also had sickness cover through my work benefits.

One bank came back and paid me £12,000!! The other I’m still challenging.

I underestimated how easy it was to check & claim and I’d recommend to everyone to give it a shot. To be clear I never took, signed or asked for PPI (in most cases when taking credit I explicitly asked not to be included).
  • ptlshooper
    ptlshooper Posts: 23 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi I sent a letter to Barclays regarding whether I had PPI on a Goldfish Credit card that I (and husband) held in the 1990s. Barclays are (according to the FSA) now responsible for Goldfish PPI claims. Unfortunately I have no paperwork regarding the cards and the dates are only approximate however I supplied Barclays with my full name DOB and current and previous addresses but they have written back to say that they've been unable to find an account in my (or husbands) name.
    We definitely held Goldfish cards for quite a few years. Can anyone advise what I can do next.
    Thank you
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,511 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    ptlshooper wrote: »
    Hi I sent a letter to Barclays regarding whether I had PPI on a Goldfish Credit card that I (and husband) held in the 1990s. Barclays are (according to the FSA) now responsible for Goldfish PPI claims. Unfortunately I have no paperwork regarding the cards and the dates are only approximate however I supplied Barclays with my full name DOB and current and previous addresses but they have written back to say that they've been unable to find an account in my (or husbands) name.
    We definitely held Goldfish cards for quite a few years. Can anyone advise what I can do next.
    Thank you

Barclays took on Goldfish but only the open accounts. If your account was closed prior to Barclays taking them on, then Barclays will have little or no data.

If they cannot find data, then they can use any records you have retained.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    ptlshooper wrote: »
    Unfortunately I have no paperwork regarding the cards and the dates are only approximate
    I doubt you'll have any success with such scant information.

You cannot even evidence an account, let alone any PPI.

Sorry.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure