PPI Reclaiming successes and failures

Options

Comments

• Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 9,007 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Medic2000 wrote: »

MBNA had a similar process, this time a much simpler questionnaire followed very quickly by a final decision letter stating that my claim was rejected due to the PPI on my account was more than 6 years ago. They also claim to have written to me more than 3 years ago giving me the opportunity to raise my complaint and should have been reasonably aware of the situation then, I have no recall of this. They have agreed to give me a Plevin payout of £1,740.

Has anybody else had a similar situation to this if so how did it all work out? I probably would have left it at that but due to the successful Barclaycard payout I think I should take the MBNA decision to the financial ombudsman.

If you moved house you could have some argument that the time bar is invalid if they sent the letter to the old house but if you have not moved then no your complaint is over and the Plevin payout is a bonus. Post is deemed delivered 2 days after posting first class. The bank logically only need to show it was posted. The FOS cannot do anything about the time bar if it was correctly applied, that is the law.
  • KRD
    KRD Posts: 1 Newbie
    PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    Lloyds TSB. No paperwork. Phoned and received forms, which outlined 7 loans and 5 credit cards, dating back into the 90s. Filled out to the best of my memory but had no details. A few telephone questions from the bank. So far, PPI refunds on the loans, amounting to £23,000. Utterly thrilled and stunned. They are still processing the credit cards...All this from a phone call - do it!
  • belfast_gal
    Options
    I took everyone's advice on this forum and sent a Resolver complaint for Plevin to every card/loan/mortgage I could remember.

I'm a long time follower of MSE so most of my responses have been 'you didn't have PPI on this' - because I always turned it down.

Got a cheque for £80 from Capital One though!

My biggest claim has to be for 'Paymentcare' that I took out with my Abbey National (now Santander) mortgage. They sent me a lengthy questionnaire about my circumstances at the time, however I made it clear in the claim that I am pursuing Plevin not mis-selling. So I have ignored the questionnaire in the hopes that they will come back with something. Fingers crossed!
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    My biggest claim has to be for 'Paymentcare' that I took out with my Abbey National (now Santander) mortgage. They sent me a lengthy questionnaire about my circumstances at the time, however I made it clear in the claim that I am pursuing Plevin not mis-selling. So I have ignored the questionnaire in the hopes that they will come back with something. Fingers crossed!
    You need to understand that "ignoring" their questionnaire will not somehow net you a Plevin refund.

Plevin refunds are only awarded on rejected PPI complaints and it's not automatic even then.

What date did your mortgage finish?

If not recently, its unlikely to come under the Plevin ruling and, whatever you do, you'll get nothing.
  • Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 9,007 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I took everyone's advice on this forum and sent a Resolver complaint for Plevin to every card/loan/mortgage I could remember.

I'm a long time follower of MSE so most of my responses have been 'you didn't have PPI on this' - because I always turned it down.

Got a cheque for £80 from Capital One though!

Cap one is in line with either Plevin or autopay due to value - it is possible to have PPI but never pay it if your balances are cleared each month.

As Money says above, you cannot ask for Plevin, you complain about PPI and if they reject a miss-selling complaint, they will look at Plevin. Plevin does not apply outside of this context.
  • Dawn1966
    Dawn1966 Posts: 65 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Success! Lloyds TSB No paperwork, but I did check back as far as I could go (to 2003) with my online bank account (now just TSB) so was able to quiz them about 2 mortgage accounts, filled in the form, 1 hour phone call where I was very vague as the mortgages went back to 1995, and a month later was paid back £6k. I claimed the Plevin rule.
    Wondering if I should have accepted the first offer, though I didn't have much chance not to as they transferred it to my bank account within days of the letter.
    Definitely worth checking.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Dawn1966 wrote: »
    Wondering if I should have accepted the first offer,

The only reason to reject it would be if you had clear evidence it was calculated incorrectly or you didn't want it at all.
  • applemad_2
    Options
    What were you reclaiming: Credit Card
    Who was the provider: Lloyds Bank
    How much did you get back: £1700'ish before tax deduction
    Did you get it back after a letter or did you go to the Financial Ombudsman: Letter

Anyone who hasn't checked this really should, and I just want to thank this website and also the 'Which' website for their free service to claim ..

I was fairly confident that I had a valid claim dating back to 1998, but had no evidence, bank statements or anything. When the forms arrived I saw how many pages there were and also the way they seemed to imply I needed as much evidence as I could get, and I basically gave up at this point.

To their credit and professionalism, Lloyds bank actually chased me! I spoke to a really nice guy on the phone, explained that I had all but given up thinking I wouldn't have a leg to stand on, not having any written evidence at all, however he spent a good 30 - 40 minutes talking to me on the phone and I just answered honestly to everything I could remember about when I was sold the idea of the credit card, I told him I didn't want anything that I wasn't entitled to, but just that I had been self employed at the time I had the card and was very confident I had being paying for PPI that I wouldn't have been able to benefit from, and also the fact that when I had the card, I remembered the lady saying to me that I would be protected if I was unable to pay through losing my job (I don't know why I didn't twig at the time! duh!). They asked me lots of detail and if I didn't know the answer then I told them as much, like I say, I didn't want anything other than what I was entitled to, and if that was nothing then so be it.

I logged into my bank account yesterday, only to find that I was over £1500 better off than I was expecting to be at this time of the month, and then today the letter arrived confirming that my claim had been successful. All I can do is heavily praise both Lloyds Bank and also their staff for 'doing the right thing by me', this is so uncommon in the modern world we live in, and particularly when you hear all the horror stories to do with the banking sector.

Thank you again Money Saving Expert, and WHICH, I can't believe the outcome of this and its even more satisfying not having to pay anyone else a silly commission charge!

CP :beer: :money:
  • steviedodds
    Options
    My wife and I were offered a settlement figure by Bank Of Scotland of over 5K over 8 weeks ago. We received a letter today claiming that because we had an IVA we are not entitled to our payout. The IVA was settled in full (never missed a single payment) in September 2014 and we have now been told we cannot have this money. Where do we stand?
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,603 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    My wife and I were offered a settlement figure by Bank Of Scotland of over 5K over 8 weeks ago. We received a letter today claiming that because we had an IVA we are not entitled to our payout. The IVA was settled in full (never missed a single payment) in September 2014 and we have now been told we cannot have this money. Where do we stand?

The bank can set off the redress against any amount written off/reduced as part of that settlement.

e.g. if the debt was £15,000 but under the IVA it was agreed you could settle £5,000 then the bank can set off the redress against that £15,000 unpaid. The fact it was a lower settlement figure doesnt matter.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback