PPI Reclaiming successes and failures

Options

Comments

• Prinzessilein
    Prinzessilein Posts: 3,257 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I used Resolver to attempt a PPI claim regarding charges on a current account with Lloyds.

I always knew it was 'iffy' because I have no records of the bank account - I left the area, and opened an account with a different bank some months later....I WAS able to give my old address and a rough idea of when I lived there.

I was surprised when I got two letters from Lloyds acknowledging the two accounts I had previously had with them...one was my student account (and I don't think there were ever any charges on this), the other would be the account I was questioning.

About a week later I was told that one account had no PPI issues (fine , that is the really old student account)!!!8230;.and then a week or two letter a similar letter saying that they could detect no PPI issues connected with the second account.

I know the amount would have been peanuts to some, but it was really the principle of the thing...I was all but coerced into taking on this new account, and have mental health issues.

I somehow doubt it would be worth pushing it, so I will just tell myself I tried and that's all I could do.
  • freddie2
    freddie2 Posts: 84 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    Success!

I had a credit card with Beneficial which I took out in 1994. It was taken out over the phone and I was persuaded to take out PPI even though I worked for the NHS so had good sick pay arrangements and had savings. I tried to make a mis selling claim in about 2007 but this was rejected and I therefore cancelled the policy.
    I long since paid off the card and got rid of the paperwork. Anyway when having a bit of a sort out I found the account details so I filled in HSBCs template ( they bought Beneficial out in 2008) and sent it off. A few days later I had a call from HSBC saying they couldn!!!8217;t find the account detail and asking for more info which I gave. About two weeks after that I got a call asking me questions regarding my employment etc.
    On Friday I got a letter from HSBC making me an offer of 16,847 !!!!
    I apparently paid 4863 in PPI , the rest is interest.
    Cannot believe that I have been sucessful in claiming that far back with only the account number as evidence!
  • ptlshooper
    ptlshooper Posts: 23 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Yes that's what I thought, I'm good at keeping paperwork but even I don't keep it for 30 years! I just honestly can't remember if I had PPi on the card so was just asking them the question.
    Thanks
  • ptlshooper
    ptlshooper Posts: 23 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    thank you dunstonh unfortunately I have no records as it was about 30 years ago (I'm good at keeping records but not that long) I don't know if I had PPI or not so was just asking Barclays the question really.
  • G_Balm
    Options
    Hi All

My mother is a PPI catch 22 situation. She is making a PPI claim against Santander and due to the fact that it was only my father (died 3 years ago) that signed the PPI agreement on their joint mortgage then they are asking for a Deed of Confirmation. We contacted the Sheriff Court (Scotland) to complete a 'large estate' application but they stated that we must include the value of the PPI claim. Santander wont release (after numerous requests and solicitors letters) this information. So Santander request a Deed of Confirmation to process the claim and we cant get that as they wont give us the value of the PPI claim!! Someone please help!
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    G_Balm wrote: »
    So Santander request a Deed of Confirmation to process the claim and we cant get that as they wont give us the value of the PPI claim!! Someone please help!
    You'll have to make a guess based on how long ago the mortgage was taken out, how much the monthly PPI payment was, how long the mortgage ran for and add 8% simple interest.
  • Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 8,998 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi All

My mother is a PPI catch 22 situation. She is making a PPI claim against Santander and due to the fact that it was only my father (died 3 years ago) that signed the PPI agreement on their joint mortgage then they are asking for a Deed of Confirmation. We contacted the Sheriff Court (Scotland) to complete a 'large estate' application but they stated that we must include the value of the PPI claim. Santander wont release (after numerous requests and solicitors letters) this information. So Santander request a Deed of Confirmation to process the claim and we cant get that as they wont give us the value of the PPI claim!! Someone please help!

Given that the majority of MPPI complaints are rejected as it's a very useful product and rarely miss-sold, a guess of £0 is probably reasonable
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    We contacted the Sheriff Court (Scotland) to complete a 'large estate' application but they stated that we must include the value of the PPI claim.
    Do understand that you are not making a "claim", you are making a complaint which may well ultimately be rejected. This is why the Bank will not release even the potential "value" of any refund they may provide at a future date.

To be honest, it sounds to me as if you are chasing the wrong documentation, all you should really need is proof that your Mother has inherited your late father's estate.

But do realise that, even if you get over these hurdles, there is no guarantee that any complaint will be successful.
  • Catsmum1
    Catsmum1 Posts: 1 Newbie
    PPI Party Pooper
    edited 19 September 2018 at 8:05PM
    Options
    I used the forms on the MSE website to claim back any mis-sold PPI. Didn’t hold out much hope as the loans/credit cards were closed/settled years ago. Egg Card couldn’t find any evidence of PPI (in fact l think l cancelled it and got a refund of fees paid). I did, however, have success with. Barclaycard (Barclayloans) - l had 2 loans that were paid back years ago, however, it turns out the my Complaint of Mis-sold PPI was upheld and l received, this morning, a cheque just short of £13000!
    Marks and Spencer’s sent me a cheque for £1000, they called but didn’t leave any message. I didn’t even realis it was them!
    Barclaycard paid out £9500 in respect of missold PPI on a Goldfish Credit Card.
    Just heard today from Co-op bank who’ve offered me £11600 in respect of missold PPI. Papers signed and returned.
    Excellent outcomes all round. All thanks to MSE and Resolver.
  • Medic2000
    Options
    I am new to this site and have recently just got around to reclaiming PPI. I phoned Barclaycard directly about my credit card and within about 10 mins they had processed my complaint. 3 weeks later had a cheque for £21,272.35. Absolutely amazed and could not believe how a quick phone call could result in receiving this amount, apparently I had been paying PPI since 1990 and didn't know.

This gave me the confidence to look at all my other cards and loans. I am currently in the process with Lloyds about past loans and a credit card. Not as easy with them they have sent out a lengthy questionnaire, which I completed and then they have phoned me to ask all the same questions that I have already answered on the questionnaire. Still waiting for a response.

MBNA had a similar process, this time a much simpler questionnaire followed very quickly by a final decision letter stating that my claim was rejected due to the PPI on my account was more than 6 years ago. They also claim to have written to me more than 3 years ago giving me the opportunity to raise my complaint and should have been reasonably aware of the situation then, I have no recall of this. They have agreed to give me a Plevin payout of £1,740.

Has anybody else had a similar situation to this if so how did it all work out? I probably would have left it at that but due to the successful Barclaycard payout I think I should take the MBNA decision to the financial ombudsman.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback