Compensation for delayed flights Discussion Area

Options

Comments

• CookieRaider
    CookieRaider Posts: 2,195 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks to both of you for the advice will look further into this an let you all know how i get on
  • moneysuperrubbish
    Options
    Has anybody claimed under the following circumstances?

My flight was delayed by 12 hours, and I'm pretty sure I'll be able to argue the airline is at fault, but the flight was a business journey and my company paid the fare.
  • cheryldavies2200
    Options
    We flew to JFK on the 7th August 2005 from Manchester on flight BA1503. This flight was delayed by 7 hours and 51 minutes and we missed half a day in New York. I contacted BA and after several weeks got a reply back saying that they only compensated in the UK for delays that happened up to 3 years ago. So, I contacted the CAA and after several months received a reply saying that there was nothing they could do as it was over three years ago. So, I ask, what is the point of a European ruling saying you can claim for up to 5 years when the airlines in the UK pretend not to be part of Europe and say you can only claim for up to 3 years? Is there anything people in my position can do about this?
  • Vauban
    Vauban Posts: 4,736 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    We flew to JFK on the 7th August 2005 from Manchester on flight BA1503. This flight was delayed by 7 hours and 51 minutes and we missed half a day in New York. I contacted BA and after several weeks got a reply back saying that they only compensated in the UK for delays that happened up to 3 years ago. So, I contacted the CAA and after several months received a reply saying that there was nothing they could do as it was over three years ago. So, I ask, what is the point of a European ruling saying you can claim for up to 5 years when the airlines in the UK pretend not to be part of Europe and say you can only claim for up to 3 years? Is there anything people in my position can do about this?

You are quite confused. The Regulation allows you to claim back since 2005. However, the UK (England/Wales) Statute of Limitation only allows you to pursue court actions for incidents up to six years ago. (Each European country has it's own limit in this respect - Scotland is five years, and I think I read that Spain is ten.)

But none of this matters a fig, because you are well out of time to make a claim in the court. Sorry!
  • Arfa_Daily
    Options
    Last year when flying was severely disrupted by the snow, we were due to fly to Las Vegas from Gatwick with VA. The flight should have left mid morning, but we were delayed into the late afternoon. The primary reason for this, we were told, was that the aircraft was located elsewhere in the UK, and had to be re-positioned. However, when it finally arrived, and we actually managed to get on, the crew told us that the repositioning flight had been delayed because of a malfunction with an upstairs door and the in-flight entertainment system, and they had worked on the problems as long as they could before having to give up on the entertainment system problems. Even as we taxied out to the runway, the captain told us that we were actually outside of the last time that they were going to let aircraft fly, and that we might get turned back, but they did finally let us go.

What are the chances that we could claim any compensation for this ? Although the aircraft was delayed by being wrongly positioned, so not at its home airport where there would have been proper maintenance facilities and the repairs could have been carried out quickly, will they just claim that the primary cause of the delay was "weather", so not subject to the compensation 'rules' ?
  • Khpc
    Khpc Posts: 2 Newbie
    Options
    Good afternoon,

I have been trying to find anything related to the below on this thread but can seem to see anything so was hoping someone can help please.
    I travelled back from Sanford to gatwick in September 2006, with travel city direct, the flight was delayed for 25hrs, so was wondering if I could claim back compensation for this?
    Thank you
  • Vauban
    Vauban Posts: 4,736 Forumite
    Options
    khpc wrote: »
    good afternoon,

i have been trying to find anything related to the below on this thread but can seem to see anything so was hoping someone can help please.
    I travelled back from sanford to gatwick in september 2006, with travel city direct, the flight was delayed for 25hrs, so was wondering if i could claim back compensation for this?
    Thank you

out of time!!!
  • Khpc
    Khpc Posts: 2 Newbie
    Options
    On martins email this week it says you can go back to 2005 so I thought I might have still been able to.
    Thanks anyway
  • jenny.b
    jenny.b Posts: 249 Forumite
    Options
    we were delayed a relatively short amount of time back in 2007 (the plane was 1hr 21mins late to depart) and landed 68mins late

it may not seem a lot, but it was our Honeymoon.... do you think it is worth putting in a claim? The airline was BMI
  • Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,545 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    jenny.b wrote: »
    we were delayed a relatively short amount of time back in 2007 (the plane was 1hr 21mins late to depart) and landed 68mins late

it may not seem a lot, but it was our Honeymoon.... do you think it is worth putting in a claim? The airline was BMI
    under 3 hours = no compensation
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure