Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • wavelets
    • By wavelets 4th Feb 19, 3:29 PM
    • 1,162Posts
    • 514Thanks
    wavelets
    Symbio Energy feedback
    • 4th Feb 19, 3:29 PM
    Symbio Energy feedback 4th Feb 19 at 3:29 PM
    Anyone have any feedback on Symbio Energy?

They seem to be a new supplier; electric only at this time.
    I think they launched 01-Dec-2018.

They are suddenly appearing on a comparison site with quite a competitive price, at least for the Eastern region. (I've not checked other supply regions yet)

Here is their website

https://symbioenergy.co.uk/

Oddly, there is no way to get a quote or switch via their website ; it says you have to call or email them (see their FAQ page, found under Support)

They are currently 100% owned by Dispensary Holdings Limited
    Last edited by wavelets; 04-02-2019 at 6:00 PM.
Page 2
    • The Big Bamboo
    • By The Big Bamboo 24th Mar 19, 11:54 AM
    • 157 Posts
    • 73 Thanks
    The Big Bamboo
    Well I don't have a smart meter, it did ask me when i requested a quote and they still gave me a quote. There's been no mention of a smart meter on any of the paperwork.
    Originally posted by lazybadger66
    Under the heading "Introduction" item 8. states you have to have a SMART meter on ALL tariffs.

May be an idea to check yourself.
    Originally posted by MABLE
    I had a good look at Symbio a few weeks ago and I specifically checked their Ts&Cs for a Smart meter clause and I didn’t see one.

To be honest, given their competitive tariffs, I was very surprised that the obligation to have a smart meter fitted wasn’t in their Ts&Cs;...I either missed it, or it wasn’t there at the time I checked.

However, as you quite rightly point out, the Smart meter clause is there now,...and in a very prominent position.

“8. All electricity contracts require that the site has or is fitted with an SMART meter and by entering into this contract you agree that you will allow us to install such a device (if one is not already fitted). If we are unable to fit such a device due to technical reasons then this will not alter the contractual agreement between us.”
    Last edited by The Big Bamboo; 24-03-2019 at 11:59 AM.
    • MABLE
    • By MABLE 25th Mar 19, 8:40 AM
    • 3,852 Posts
    • 2,024 Thanks
    MABLE
    I have again spoken to the company today and they advise you do not have to have a smart meter installed to qualify for their tariffs and they are changing this in their terms and conditions. I have asked them to confirm this in writing to me and they are sending through this on email.

Also I explained my fixed tariff does not finish with my present supplier until 24th April they have agreed to delay my application so the supply does not start until 25th April. Therefore will give them a try.
    • I-LOV-MONEY
    • By I-LOV-MONEY 4th Apr 19, 3:19 PM
    • 1,072 Posts
    • 593 Thanks
    I-LOV-MONEY
    Why are posters against Smart Meters? I have one with my present company, and I note when the reading seems to be high (I have left a light on in a room / I haven't switched of an appliance etc.)

Presumably if you don't like them you can ignore them, but don't they send your useage to the utility company?
    Thank you for reading this message.
    • fewkeste
    • By fewkeste 4th Apr 19, 5:30 PM
    • 394 Posts
    • 200 Thanks
    fewkeste
    Future Taxation
    Why are posters against Smart Meters?
    Originally posted by I-LOV-MONEY
    There has been discussion at Treasury level that as more and more people switch to electric vehicles, the Exchequer will lose tax revenue from fuel sales.

With a smart meter fittted in the home, it will be able to know when an electric car is attached to the home network and charging, making the electricity used for charging the car viewable/available to be identified separately for taxation purposes.

In the future, if you don't want to pay a higher tax on the electric used to charge your electric car, you may wish to avoid/resist having a Smart meter fitted for as long as possible.
    • MABLE
    • By MABLE 5th Apr 19, 9:12 AM
    • 3,852 Posts
    • 2,024 Thanks
    MABLE
    So far very impressed with Symbio. I explained I was on a fix tariff and the account manager said he would hold the application so the switch does not take place until a day after my fix finishes. If it went through earlier i would not get the promised £20 bonus from my present supplier.

Also Symbio have improved their website. You can fully switch online and fill out your dd details rather then having to print off a dd form. You can enter your meter readings online as well.

Another bonus is although my switch completes on the 25 April 19 they will not take the first dd payment until one month later.

Also I embrace technology but not smart meters.
    • Dobbibill
    • By Dobbibill 6th Apr 19, 9:50 PM
    • 3,745 Posts
    • 5,050 Thanks
    Dobbibill
    I've just took the plunge and switched to Symbio. They came out very well on a comparison.

I'll keep the thread updated with my experience over the next few weeks, additional feedback for others is always handy.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Energy, Student Money Saving, UK Armed Forces and
    Local Money Saving - Wales boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge posts there.
    Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

It's not about being the best -
    It's about being better than you were yesterday.
    • Tafrock
    • By Tafrock 7th Apr 19, 6:40 AM
    • 417 Posts
    • 107 Thanks
    Tafrock
    I'll keep an eye on feedback before taking the plunge. After checking out companies house details of this company I'm a bit wary of Changing to them myself

https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/07999360
    Last edited by Tafrock; 07-04-2019 at 6:42 AM.
    • Biggus Dickus
    • By Biggus Dickus 7th Apr 19, 7:37 AM
    • 228 Posts
    • 112 Thanks
    Biggus Dickus
    I'll keep an eye on feedback before taking the plunge. After checking out companies house details of this company I'm a bit wary of Changing to them myself

https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/07999360
    Originally posted by Tafrock
    ...why does all that Companies House gubbins put you off?
    • Biggus Dickus
    • By Biggus Dickus 7th Apr 19, 12:24 PM
    • 228 Posts
    • 112 Thanks
    Biggus Dickus
    I've just took the plunge and switched to Symbio. They came out very well on a comparison.

I'll keep the thread updated with my experience over the next few weeks, additional feedback for others is always handy.
    Originally posted by Dobbibill
    Which price comparison site did you first spot Symbio?;

...they’re certainly the cheapest leccy supplier around (for me anyway) and have been for many weeks;...and yet they still don’t feature on MSE Cheap Energy Club!....what’s all that about then?

MSE ‘whole of market’ comparison...my a*se!
    • Tafrock
    • By Tafrock 7th Apr 19, 1:28 PM
    • 417 Posts
    • 107 Thanks
    Tafrock
    Mse is a waste of time nowadays. I use uswitch in conjunction with energy helpline https://energyhelpline.com/fri/

What puts me off is the number of failed directorships and companies and recent changes of address they have had (2 in twelve months). I'm not saying anything is amiss it just doesn't seem the most secure company around though. I May still risk going with them as your not tied in and they are cheap buy equally I wouldn't be suprised if they didn't stick around for long
    • Dobbibill
    • By Dobbibill 7th Apr 19, 1:31 PM
    • 3,745 Posts
    • 5,050 Thanks
    Dobbibill
    Which price comparison site did you first spot Symbio?;
    Originally posted by Biggus Dickus

I found them on Uswitch.

I always use more than one comparison site just to make sure
    I'm a Board Guide on the Energy, Student Money Saving, UK Armed Forces and
    Local Money Saving - Wales boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge posts there.
    Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

It's not about being the best -
    It's about being better than you were yesterday.
    • fewkeste
    • By fewkeste 7th Apr 19, 2:24 PM
    • 394 Posts
    • 200 Thanks
    fewkeste
    Read between the lines
    ...why does all that Companies House gubbins put you off?
    Google the directors, check out llps

Like Tafrock I am 'uneasy' about signing up with them - time will tell. I've just signed up with Yorkshire Energy on their Green Goose Tariff
    • MABLE
    • By MABLE 7th Apr 19, 2:47 PM
    • 3,852 Posts
    • 2,024 Thanks
    MABLE
    I am certainly not going to stress too much over switching to them. I am not paying in advance and the dd is set at my level of usage. I have learnt my lesson with Extra Energy not to overpay. The worst that can happen is they go broke and I am transferred to another operator. I would then just move to another competitive supplier.
    Last edited by MABLE; 07-04-2019 at 2:49 PM.
    • Biggus Dickus
    • By Biggus Dickus 7th Apr 19, 4:12 PM
    • 228 Posts
    • 112 Thanks
    Biggus Dickus

Like Tafrock I am 'uneasy' about signing up with them - time will tell. I've just signed up with Yorkshire Energy on their Green Goose Tariff
    Originally posted by fewkeste
    I was one of YorkshireEnergys very first customers when they started up last year;...at the time there were many doubters about how long this ‘new kid on the block’ would last but I’ve had no problems at all whilst I’ve been with them.

I’m not sure if fledgling companies are any more prone to failure than some of the more established ‘minnow’ energy suppliers tbh;... many of the older ‘minnows’ bit the dust in the latter part of 2018.

2018 was a torrid time for all the energy suppliers,...perhaps a new company is not such a risk???...they’ve all got to start somewhere.
    • brewerdave
    • By brewerdave 8th Apr 19, 9:41 AM
    • 5,607 Posts
    • 2,492 Thanks
    brewerdave

2018 was a torrid time for all the energy suppliers,...perhaps a new company is not such a risk???...they’ve all got to start somewhere.

What concerned me with Symbio, was that their leccy tariff for my area was almost as low as the Iresa tariff I was on last July (when they failed ) and lower than the tariffs of both Usio and One Select (who have subsequently failed) - decided didn't want to be with a 4th failure and went with Yorkshire Energy (with fingers and toes crossed)
    • Biggus Dickus
    • By Biggus Dickus 8th Apr 19, 12:02 PM
    • 228 Posts
    • 112 Thanks
    Biggus Dickus
    What concerned me with Symbio, was that their leccy tariff for my area was almost as low as the Iresa tariff I was on last July (when they failed ) and lower than the tariffs of both Usio and One Select (who have subsequently failed) - decided didn't want to be with a 4th failure and went with Yorkshire Energy (with fingers and toes crossed)
    Originally posted by brewerdave
    You’ll be fine with YE;...you can trust Yorkshiremen,...they’re as honest as the day is long,...not sure about the nights though!
    • boatman
    • By boatman 10th Apr 19, 5:08 PM
    • 4,160 Posts
    • 2,941 Thanks
    boatman

Originally posted by fewkeste
    Its Green Gosling tariff now, might be worth asking to swap..
    • Tafrock
    • By Tafrock 10th Apr 19, 6:14 PM
    • 417 Posts
    • 107 Thanks
    Tafrock
    I've bitten the bullet and transferred from powershop to symbio on 1 year fixed dd April 2019 tariff.

Impressed with instant response and account manager name and number forwarded to me. I become a customer on April 24th
    • fewkeste
    • By fewkeste 10th Apr 19, 10:01 PM
    • 394 Posts
    • 200 Thanks
    fewkeste
    Green Gosling is more expensive
    Its Green Gosling tariff now, might be worth asking to swap..
    Originally posted by boatman
    No, for me Green Gosling is about £25 more per year than Green Goose.
    • nik.v
    • By nik.v 11th Apr 19, 9:54 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    nik.v
    Brilliant Provider and have been with them for a while
    Dear all,

I have been a customer for a while now and they have always been the cheapest and actually really good customer services.

I was also really surprised that do not tie us into a long term contract, and what I have found is that as they are the cheapest, i have never had a reason to switch.

highly recommend them!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

460Posts Today

5,149Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Delighted people are pushing @BorisJohnson on getting proper financial ed in schools. He says not enough resourc? https://t.co/c8Eb6BAwgU

• RT @MartinSLewis: I sued Facebook for defamation over scam ads & settled in return for 2 things that LAUNCH TODAY -1on1 scam help at new C?

• Bizzare German twitter mash article has called me "MARTIN LEWIS, der Geldsparexperte," Any german speakers out the? https://t.co/1tXEzCe4Y3

• Follow Martin