Easy £25 loophole Discussion Area

Options

Comments

• newsmonkey
    Options
    Tried to phone up from abroad using the 0113 alternative numbers listed on saynoto0870 .. but they go through to customer services, not new accounts.

I'm guessing they won't budge by allowing me to send of the app form with the promo code written on it. Not to worry.
  • JasonW_2
    JasonW_2 Posts: 705 Forumite
    Options
    Well according to the site, you can apply online. Just says once you have £100 in it, they will credit £25.

http://www.firstdirect.com/apply/current_account.shtml

The minimum of £1000 a month I was told, was to get the higher rate of interest. They give you the higher interest for 6 months whether you do £1000/m or not, but otherwise you go down to the lowest 0.1% interest rate.
  • kathrynvaughan
    Options
    JasonW wrote:
    Well according to the site, you can apply online. Just says once you have £100 in it, they will credit £25.

http://www.firstdirect.com/apply/current_account.shtml

The minimum of £1000 a month I was told, was to get the higher rate of interest. They give you the higher interest for 6 months whether you do £1000/m or not, but otherwise you go down to the lowest 0.1% interest rate.

Have applied on line will see how far I get....instructions said I would be contacted shortly!!
    Any fool can pay full price!!
  • newsmonkey
    Options
    Interesting. I've just done the same. The page you link to has no mention of "you need to pay in a salary", but the page before it does. We'll just have to wait and see what the T+Cs say when they arrive.
  • karenj
    karenj Posts: 181 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I too got all the paperwork for the £25 offer, but decided not to bother until I got another load of bumph in January offering £35, so I opened an account at once. The T & C's only mention that the account has to be in credit by £100 by 31st March, nothing about having salary paid in. Looking at the other post about the free £500 overdraft and bunging it in an esavings account, is a brill idea. I'm off now to see if I have the free overdraft too!! Thanks for the idea!!
  • zzzLazyDaisy
    zzzLazyDaisy Posts: 12,497 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Okay, I just got through on the 0800 number, fairly quickly. Spoke to a pleasant young man who asked some straight forward questions, and is sending out an application pack to me....... should be with me in a few days... :D
    I'm a retired employment solicitor. Hopefully some of my comments might be useful, but they are only my opinion and not intended as legal advice.
  • elk_2
    elk_2 Posts: 44 Forumite
    Options
    Hemlock wrote:
    Hi,
    I joined when Martin first spotted this last year. Not only did I take advantage of the £25, but they were offering a £500 free overdraft, which I promptly put into an e-savings account they opened for me together with the £25.
    So I have just left it there earning a little bit off interest with their money. Thank you very much!
    I think that offer is still available too.
    M.

are you sure the overdraft is interest-free ? looks to me like it is fee-free with interest rate at 9.9%

http://http://www.firstdirect.com/banking/current_account.shtml?WT.mc_id=FD_BA0020
  • Maxine_Trinkle
    Options
    first direct might be doing a £25 deal for opening an account but there are much better ones! I got 6 bottles of wine when I opened an account with Smile and £50 from Lloyds TSB. Give it a go, it's easy!
  • c1zero
    c1zero Posts: 13 Forumite
    Options
    Just asked for a new account they said" we will send an a/c application form fill it in and we will open the account for you. Pay in £100 squid and after 28 days we will put £25 into your account. You can then remove your £100 and spend it on Maxines goodies above.
    Thx
    24-02-05
    if i had known then what i know now
  • gromituk
    gromituk Posts: 3,087 Forumite
    Options
    I got 6 bottles of wine when I opened an account with Smile and £50 from Lloyds TSB.

But did you have to pay your salary (or other large regular amount) in to qualify?
    Time is an illusion - lunch time doubly so.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure