We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Add your feedback on energy supplier So Energy

Options

Comments

• niktheguru
    niktheguru Posts: 1,479 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I just signed up yesterday and it specifically stated my smart meter would become a dumb one. So yes you'd have to give manual readings.
  • johnrussell
    Options
    Following on from my post on 3rd. Jan - #108 - have now received very clear answers from Nilesh at So Energy. Despite some concerns about the level of customer service such as difficulty in phone contact, the feedback on here has led me to give it a go. So have today applied to switch to So Energy & will just have to wait and see how it goes. I think biggest thing now will be trying to get my sizable credit refund after 4 years with present provider ... another story.
  • AbbieCadabra
    AbbieCadabra Posts: 1,707 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    we signed up with SoEnergy for electric only April 2017, been very happy with CS on the odd occasion that I've had to contact them, website & bills easy to understand & they've reduced our DD payment without us having to ask. Would have no hesitation in recommending them :)

completely the opposite experience to the dreadful Avro Energy that we had on our old property until it sold recently, avoid them at all costs!
  • bubieyehyeh
    Options
    I joined So Energy in December, they weren't the cheapest supplier, but the good customer service reports was the reason for choosing them after leaving the cluster!!!! that is OFTM.

I emailed So Energy to ask a simple question in early January, and finally got a reply after 12days!

That is not good customer service in my view. Seriously considering paying the exit fee and switching to someone else.
  • Chrissieh27
    Options
    I am about to sign up for the third year running. Very surprised to read about poor communications as have always found them excellent. Realised today that we had given them a wrong reading last month and my renewal quote was therefore higher than expected, I rang,they answered immmediately and I asked for a new quote to be emailed based on corrected figure. The guy said he could do that over the phone , quoted me new figure for renewal ,. I have compared this using MSE and it’s still up there as one of the cheapest . Really cannot fault them
  • Scribbly
    Options
    Hello So Energy,

I have just signed up to switch to you. My current tariff expires on 31 March and if I switch away before that date I pay an exit fee. Are you able to switch my supply to you on exactly that date?

Thanks
  • Dobbibill
    Dobbibill Posts: 4,136 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Scribbly wrote: »
    Hello So Energy,

I have just signed up to switch to you. My current tariff expires on 31 March and if I switch away before that date I pay an exit fee. Are you able to switch my supply to you on exactly that date?

Thanks

You can switch penalty free within 49 days of contract end date.

What ARE the rules?

Ofgem's rules state that customers must not be charged exit fees if they leave during or after the ‘switching window’, which is defined as "49 calendar days before a fixed-term contract ends".

Taken from the MSE main site.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Budgeting & Bank Accounts, Credit Cards, Credit File & Ratings and Energy boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

If you can't be the best -
    Just be better than you were yesterday.
  • So_Energy
    So_Energy Posts: 47 Organisation Representative
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Scribbly wrote: »
    Hello So Energy,

Thanks

Hello Scribbly,

Dobbibill hit the nail on the head and beat me to it!

So long as your actual switch takes please with the last 49 days of the end of your contract with your previous supplier, under OFGEM's regulations no supplier is able to charge you exit fees.

You are not able to choose your supply start date or delay this in any way. If there is a specific date that you wish to come on supply with So Energy then your would need to register via our website 21 days before this date.

Hope this helps, any issues just contact our Customer Service Team on 0330 111 5050 (Mon-Fri 9am-5pm) and they will be more than happy to assist.

Regards
    Nilesh
    So Energy Team
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of So Energy. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • hinuk
    hinuk Posts: 1 Newbie
    Options
    A question for So Energy........I am in the process of moving into a rented property which I believe has a Smart Meter, which if I Switch will need to be read manually. This is no problem.

My main question is this:

British Gas are currently the Dual supplier and they have sent me details of a "Temporary" 2020 contract.

I have 14 days to change or accept but I do not move into the property until 27th March.

If I switch and the changeover takes 3 weeks do I accept BG in the first instance or do I just tell them I am changing and they send me a bill for say11 days of usage.

Please post an early reply.

Many thanks
  • So_Energy
    So_Energy Posts: 47 Organisation Representative
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 18 March 2019 at 9:33AM
    Options
    hinuk wrote: »
    A question for So Energy........I am in the process of moving into a rented property which I believe has a Smart Meter, which if I Switch will need to be read manually. This is no problem.

My main question is this:

British Gas are currently the Dual supplier and they have sent me details of a "Temporary" 2020 contract.

I have 14 days to change or accept but I do not move into the property until 27th March.

If I switch and the changeover takes 3 weeks do I accept BG in the first instance or do I just tell them I am changing and they send me a bill for say11 days of usage.

Please post an early reply.

Many thanks

Hello Hinuk,

Thanks for choosing So Energy!

No supplier should place you in a contract which has exit fees without your consent. As you are switching to So Energy I would advise that you contact them just to let know that you do not want to be on a tariff which has exit fees as you are switching supplier.

5 days before you come on supply with us we will request meter readings, it is important that you submit these via your online account to us, we will then pass them on to British Gas so that they can produce an accurate final bill for you.

Hope this helps :)

Regards
    Nilesh
    So Energy Team
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of So Energy. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure