Options
1192021222325»

Comments

• MWT
    MWT Posts: 9,252 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Dontom said:
    Just had SO energy at my door offering a 2 year fix, will this fix literally stay the same for 2 years and not increase in April and October? The price he quoted is a saving of £30 per month than my current supplier, sounds go good to be true?
    Remember that the fix is on the kWh rate and standing charge, *not* the monthly DD.
    So if the person at your door happens to use a lower estimate for your annual use than your actual use, the result is a lower monthly DD, which will inevitably go up soon after you switch...
    As per QrizB, look at the tariff rates and compare those to your current rates and see if they really are going to give a lower cost than your current supplier.
    ... but do also consider how long your current suppliers rates will remain unchanged, if you are on a fix at the moment when does it end?

• mr_stripey
    mr_stripey Posts: 665 Forumite
    Options
    I've been with SO Energy since I moved into my new house last March. At first I got regular bills but nothing since October? 

I have a direct debit set up and active, I provide meter readings on request (even though they are smart meters). A guy has been round to read the meters a couple of times (fun fact - he also delivers for the local curry house in the evening!)

When I log in to my account, it shows balance £ 0.00. Clearly this is not the case, and I have been putting money aside for when they eventually do come knocking.

Tried calling and emailing - no response.

Just wondered if anyone else has a similar issue with them?

• mr_stripey
    mr_stripey Posts: 665 Forumite
    Options
    Ah well, it was good while it lasted!
    This morning I logged in to see my bill updated and I owe them £ 932!

• meadowgrass
    meadowgrass Posts: 124 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Been with SO I think for a couple of years. Usage has raised to around £770 a yr, and for the first time in as many years as I can remember a bill comes to say I'm in debt (£65.05) ... part of that must be due to having to supplement heating with an oil filled radiator in this colder winter, but the other part is due to SO energy not bothering to respond to relevant emails where I'm asking for advice about how to move to 24-hour heating (economy 10 meter/too cold) and about having the meter moved up 1 metre so I can provide usual monthly readings.

I emailed at the end of November and then a few days ago; silence. Long-term registered on the PSR/disabled, and referenced this. SO seem not to care about customers being cold or able to save money, unable to submit regular readings, or about honouring the PSR.

I'd considered calling them, but with the lack of email replies and also seeing all the reviews here on mse, and SO's empty words and redirecting people to the complaints dept, I think I'd be strung along. With all this, and SO publicly responding to people in order to look good, while ignoring emails, it's better to change supplier.

• chownz
    chownz Posts: 4 Newbie
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi, I've been with SoEnergy for a few years and all was fine until I stopped using gas. I'll keep this brief: it took them 14 months to stop charging us for gas even though we had no supply. This went to the Ombudsman and they were fined. It took them 8 months to pay the fine. We ended up £400 in credit coming out of winter 2021 which they applied as a credit to our account. They then change 6 months worth of statements deleting all reference to gas and said they'd never charged us for it. When I raised this with the ombudsman but they said that they are not a watchdog.

So Energy have now doubled my direct debit to £280 a month. We will only use £140 a month in summer (even on the new price cap). They have ignored my complaint so I have had to go through my bank and compain under the DD Guarantee.

I have no faith that SoEnergy will adjust my DD to an accurate level so my plan is to complain through my bank every month. They will refund the total DD (apparently they can't refund part) and then I will pay SoEnergy the correct amount by debit card. It's a faff, but I don't know what else I can do. I can't face complaining through the Ombudsman again, the energy comapnies just ignore them.

On a final note, my bank (Barclays) didn't want to do anything about it, they told me to cancel the DD entirely. This is bad advice. I had to quote the DD Guarantee to them, at which point Barclays acted.

• chuffee
    Options
    So energy have informed me that due to a 'large scale internal issue' they can't provide me with bills from October onwards for 'two to four months' The company position is that they won't discuss excessive direct debits or any other approach to reduce the excess credit on my account until their internal issue is resolved. I used to change suppliers regularly through the MSE club when this was possible. I'd not taken too much notice of the company reputations, I wish I had now. Avoid this company.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback