PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Freezing onions

Options
Hi

Today I bought a large bag of onions for 20p , as they are near their sell by date. I have used some, but do not want to throw the rest out. Can I chop them up and the freeze them for future use.

Thanks

Comments

• Bogof_Babe
    Bogof_Babe Posts: 10,803 Forumite
    Options
    Don't be misled by the use-by date. I have found onions still perfectly okay up to about a month later, when stored in the fridge.

Just keep them cool and check them for blackening (bad sign), and you should be able to use them before they go "off".

Sorry I can't advise on freezing them.
    :D I haven't bogged off yet, and I ain't no babe :D

• LindaC_4
    LindaC_4 Posts: 44 Forumite
    Options
    Well, you can buy frozen chopped/frozen onions. So I can't see why you couldn't freeze them yourself. Why not give it a try with just one, chop/slice and freeze it [I would open freeze, on a tray/plate, then put into a bag when frozen, so that it remains seperated] Then try cookiong some, give it go. If you do it, please let us know the results.

Linda

p.s. I use this method for lemons/oranges
    Please be gentle and a little kind, as I've only got a simple mind.
  • LindaC_4
    LindaC_4 Posts: 44 Forumite
    Options
    Opps! sorry hit the post instead of preview, not quite sure how to go about editing, so hpoe you can make sence of my last post.

Linda
    Please be gentle and a little kind, as I've only got a simple mind.
  • md123
    md123 Posts: 148 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks. I will freeze a couple and keep the rest in the fridge. I will let you know how the frozen ones turn out. :)
  • Ticklemouse
    Ticklemouse Posts: 5,030 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I know there was a thread a few days ago about freezing mushrooms, but wanted to know if the same will apply to onions. I bought a bag of 12 for £1 from the market but as I've kept them too warm, they'll be starting to go off in a couple of days. I've already started to peel and chop them, but wanted to know the best way to freeze them, so that they'll be fairly loose in one large bag when I need them.

Do I (a) shove them all in the bag and keep shaking it every so often so they don't harden into one clump or (b) freeze them on a tray and they put them in the bag in loosened bits?

TIA

ps If scheming_gypsy ventures into this board again, don't suggest binning them, like the mushies. You're taking your life in your hands with us Ol' stylers, suggesting we throw away perfectly good food.;) After all, that's what we have freezers and boards like this for :D
  • squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I know there was a thread a few days ago about freezing mushrooms, but wanted to know if the same will apply to onions. I bought a bag of 12 for £1 from the market but as I've kept them too warm, they'll be starting to go off in a couple of days. I've already started to peel and chop them, but wanted to know the best way to freeze them, so that they'll be fairly loose in one large bag when I need them.
    Possibly too late now? But I keep mine in the fridge. Whole. For weeks. Well four to six. I only get the chance to mega shop that often so I know whereov I speak. Surely you use a dozen onions in month? In that case - the fridge - no problem. Honest boss ;)
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • trafalgar_2
    trafalgar_2 Posts: 22,309 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Whichever is easiest for you ,if you have the room do it on a try.......if not in a bag and shake now and then......or if your chopping quite small put into ice-cube tray till frozen ,which is what I do as I don't like a lot of onion ,then just use a cube or two....................
  • djohn2002uk
    djohn2002uk Posts: 2,323 Forumite
    Options
    Ticklemouse?..........Squeaky?....you two not related are you?
  • squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Ticklemouse?..........Squeaky?....you two not related are you?
    chuckle.gif Nah - my username relates to my squeaky chair. Nothing to do with mice - that's Sally's department...

http://www.squeaky.demon.co.uk/sally/0045.jpg
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • moggins
    moggins Posts: 5,190 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I just chop them, shove them into a fairly tough bag in the freezer and then whack 'em with a rolling pin when they're frozen :D

You do have to remember to do this in a bag though, the lot I put into a tub have to be hacked out with a hammer and chisel which is very disconcerting for the family :D
    Organised people are just too lazy to look for things

F U Fund currently at £250
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family