Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • md123
    • By md123 7th Jan 05, 8:01 PM
    • 147Posts
    • 237Thanks
    md123
    Freezing onions
    • 7th Jan 05, 8:01 PM
    Freezing onions 7th Jan 05 at 8:01 PM
    Hi

Today I bought a large bag of onions for 20p , as they are near their sell by date. I have used some, but do not want to throw the rest out. Can I chop them up and the freeze them for future use.

Thanks
Page 1
    • Bogof_Babe
    • By Bogof_Babe 7th Jan 05, 9:34 PM
    • 10,239 Posts
    • 16,854 Thanks
    Bogof_Babe
    • 7th Jan 05, 9:34 PM
    Re: Freezing onions
    • 7th Jan 05, 9:34 PM
    Don't be misled by the use-by date. I have found onions still perfectly okay up to about a month later, when stored in the fridge.

Just keep them cool and check them for blackening (bad sign), and you should be able to use them before they go "off".

Sorry I can't advise on freezing them.
  • LindaC
    • 8th Jan 05, 3:52 AM
    • 8th Jan 05, 3:52 AM

Well, you can buy frozen chopped/frozen onions. So I can't see why you couldn't freeze them yourself. Why not give it a try with just one, chop/slice and freeze it [I would open freeze, on a tray/plate, then put into a bag when frozen, so that it remains seperated] Then try cookiong some, give it go. If you do it, please let us know the results.

Linda

p.s. I use this method for lemons/oranges
  • LindaC
    • 8th Jan 05, 4:01 AM
    • 8th Jan 05, 4:01 AM
    Opps! sorry hit the post instead of preview, not quite sure how to go about editing, so hpoe you can make sence of my last post.

Linda
    • md123
    • By md123 8th Jan 05, 12:11 PM
    • 147 Posts
    • 237 Thanks
    md123
    • 8th Jan 05, 12:11 PM
    • 8th Jan 05, 12:11 PM
    Thanks. I will freeze a couple and keep the rest in the fridge. I will let you know how the frozen ones turn out.
    • Ticklemouse
    • By Ticklemouse 13th Apr 05, 9:44 PM
    • 4,896 Posts
    • 5,486 Thanks
    Ticklemouse
    • 13th Apr 05, 9:44 PM
    Freezing Onions
    • 13th Apr 05, 9:44 PM
    I know there was a thread a few days ago about freezing mushrooms, but wanted to know if the same will apply to onions. I bought a bag of 12 for 1 from the market but as I've kept them too warm, they'll be starting to go off in a couple of days. I've already started to peel and chop them, but wanted to know the best way to freeze them, so that they'll be fairly loose in one large bag when I need them.

Do I (a) shove them all in the bag and keep shaking it every so often so they don't harden into one clump or (b) freeze them on a tray and they put them in the bag in loosened bits?

TIA

ps If scheming_gypsy ventures into this board again, don't suggest binning them, like the mushies. You're taking your life in your hands with us Ol' stylers, suggesting we throw away perfectly good food. After all, that's what we have freezers and boards like this for
    • squeaky
    • By squeaky 13th Apr 05, 10:22 PM
    • 13,808 Posts
    • 15,843 Thanks
    squeaky
    • 13th Apr 05, 10:22 PM
    • 13th Apr 05, 10:22 PM
    I know there was a thread a few days ago about freezing mushrooms, but wanted to know if the same will apply to onions. I bought a bag of 12 for 1 from the market but as I've kept them too warm, they'll be starting to go off in a couple of days. I've already started to peel and chop them, but wanted to know the best way to freeze them, so that they'll be fairly loose in one large bag when I need them.
    by Ticklemouse
    Possibly too late now? But I keep mine in the fridge. Whole. For weeks. Well four to six. I only get the chance to mega shop that often so I know whereov I speak. Surely you use a dozen onions in month? In that case - the fridge - no problem. Honest boss
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = 5.20 Apr 0.50
  • trafalgar
    • 13th Apr 05, 10:30 PM
    • 13th Apr 05, 10:30 PM
    Whichever is easiest for you ,if you have the room do it on a try.......if not in a bag and shake now and then......or if your chopping quite small put into ice-cube tray till frozen ,which is what I do as I don't like a lot of onion ,then just use a cube or two....................
    Last edited by trafalgar; 13-04-2005 at 10:32 PM.
  • djohn2002uk
    • 13th Apr 05, 10:58 PM
    • 13th Apr 05, 10:58 PM
    Ticklemouse?..........Squeaky?....you two not related are you?
    • squeaky
    • By squeaky 13th Apr 05, 11:28 PM
    • 13,808 Posts
    • 15,843 Thanks
    squeaky
    Ticklemouse?..........Squeaky?....you two not related are you?
    by djohn2002uk
    Nah - my username relates to my squeaky chair. Nothing to do with mice - that's Sally's department...

http://www.squeaky.demon.co.uk/sally/0045.jpg
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = 5.20 Apr 0.50
    • moggins
    • By moggins 14th Apr 05, 8:26 AM
    • 5,177 Posts
    • 10,159 Thanks
    moggins
    I just chop them, shove them into a fairly tough bag in the freezer and then whack 'em with a rolling pin when they're frozen

You do have to remember to do this in a bag though, the lot I put into a tub have to be hacked out with a hammer and chisel which is very disconcerting for the family
    Organised people are just too lazy to look for things

F U Fund currently at 250
  • jennyjo
    I always find my onions have gone watery when I've tried freezing them

not a newbie now: but still be gentle with me
    • tiff
    • By tiff 14th Apr 05, 9:05 AM
    • 6,551 Posts
    • 8,597 Thanks
    tiff
    Blimey jennyjo, what board to you live on? I need to see some of these 156 posts you have been thanked for!
  • jennyjo
    oops all embarrassed now
    I'm a comp nut and any good ones I post on the comp forum

not a newbie now: but still be gentle with me
    • tiff
    • By tiff 14th Apr 05, 9:11 AM
    • 6,551 Posts
    • 8,597 Thanks
    tiff
    Ah, I do the comps from time to time
    • MATH
    • By MATH 14th Apr 05, 9:29 AM
    • 2,931 Posts
    • 5,603 Thanks
    MATH
    Anything I want to be free-flow I open freeze on serving trays (have a stack of manky ones just for the job) When frozen tip contents into freezer bags or old ice cream tubs and give a good shake. Works really well with peas, onions, mushrooms, woodland fruits etc. HTH
    Life's a beach! Take your shoes off and feel the sand between your toes.
    • Ticklemouse
    • By Ticklemouse 14th Apr 05, 11:04 AM
    • 4,896 Posts
    • 5,486 Thanks
    Ticklemouse
    I'll try the open freezing on a tray thing first.

I would go through 12 onions in a month easily, but as I said, they got a bit warm so have started to sprout/turn, therefore freezing is the only MSE alternative. Also, even though I bought myself a tall larder fridge last year, it's still crammed to the gunnels with everything else. Had to get a big fridge cos I like my fruit/veggies and was fed up of trying to cram them in the old fridge. Have to buy in larger quantities as no greengrocer unless I go into town and I'm a busy bee with everything else.

BTW - in true MSE style, I bartered with the old fridge-freezer, which was in perfect working order. Got my PC overhauled and lots of new software installed, which would have cost me lots more than the 50 I was going to ask for it.

PS Note to self - move vegetable baskets to cool understairs cupboard!
    • tiff
    • By tiff 14th Apr 05, 11:09 AM
    • 6,551 Posts
    • 8,597 Thanks
    tiff
    It may be a silly question but which veg do you put in the fridge, and which do you put in your veg baskets?

Just curious, I put my spuds in a sack in the shed, onions and garlic in the utility room and near enough everything else in the fridge. Just wondering if there is something I could leave out of the fridge that wouldnt go off in a few days.
    • Ticklemouse
    • By Ticklemouse 14th Apr 05, 11:34 AM
    • 4,896 Posts
    • 5,486 Thanks
    Ticklemouse
    I put spuds and onions in the veg baskets - all others except garlic in the fridge - I love cold raw carrots. Garlic is hung up in the understairs cupboard. I put apples and some citrus fruit in the veg basket if the fruit bowls are full. However, when I got my new freezer I had to move the bin and the veg basket to the only other spot in the kitchen, which unfortunately is near the boiler so I get sprouty onions and spuds faster than I should.
  • trafalgar
    I put spuds and onions in the veg baskets - all others except garlic in the fridge - I love cold raw carrots. Garlic is hung up in the understairs cupboard. I put apples and some citrus fruit in the veg basket if the fruit bowls are full. However, when I got my new freezer I had to move the bin and the veg basket to the only other spot in the kitchen, which unfortunately is near the boiler so I get sprouty onions and spuds faster than I should.
    by Ticklemouse
    never store onions and potatoes together as the gases they each give off .........turn each off
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,711Posts Today

7,389Users online

Martin's Twitter