PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Freezing onions

Options

Comments

• cuddlymarm
    cuddlymarm Posts: 1,890 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi

I usually just cut up onions and then put in a freezer bag and then scrunch a couple of times while freezing.

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
    🎄December 🎄 NSDs 11/15
  • Penelope_Penguin
    Penelope_Penguin Posts: 17,288 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Hi, there :beer: We have a long thread on freezing onions. I'll add your question to keep ideas together.

Penny. x
    :rudolf: Sheep, pigs, hens and bees on our Teesdale smallholding :rudolf:
  • winniepooh
    winniepooh Posts: 943 Forumite
    Options
    :eek: WOW................ I didnt know you could freeze onions, mushrooms or peppers.

So bare with me people I'm new to all this cooking lark.

So basically I chop the onions, mushrooms or peppers. Stick them on a tray in the freezer when frozen stick them in a bag.....is that right.

Then if i'm going to use them in the slow cooker or over do I just bung them in?

Sorry I must sound really thick.

I must off wasted so much before because i've just been throwing them in the bin :eek:
    I'm trying so hard to be thrifty, but it doesn't come naturally. You lot are an inspiration!
    JUST LOVES THE O/S BOARD
  • hayley11
    hayley11 Posts: 7,625 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    mrs_metal wrote: »
    I've been thinking of making freezer bags up with different combinations for different dishes for example a bag with chopped onions, garlic and ginger for a curry or a bag with chopped onions, garlic, mushrooms and carrots for a bolognaise or to just have the different ingredients in different freezer bags, still thinking about it. Next time I do a big shop I'll get extra onions and stuff and give it a go.

This is a brilliant idea, i'm definitely going to give this a go :T I'll do one bag and then see how that goes. This would save me so much time and money coz I could buy things in bulk.

I love MSE :T
    :heart: Think happy & you'll be happy :heart:
    I :heart2: my doggies
  • janeym8
    janeym8 Posts: 529 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I freeze most things but have bought a huge bag of these and im gonna start a slimfast type diet from Mon so no "real" food so rather than waste the onions as title says can i freeze raw onions?its prob one of the few things i havent tried to freeze

janey xxx
    LIFE IS FOR LIVING-I`VE LEARNT THAT THE HARD WAY
  • hollyh
    hollyh Posts: 5,474 Forumite
    Options
    Hi

I have frozen raw onions many times before. I just chuck some into a pan when i need them. They've always been ok. Good luck with you're diet.
  • daleigha
    Options
    ive never frozen them before, but maybe you could chop them up before you freeze them and then all you have to do is take a handful out when you are making chilli / bolognese / cottage pie etc - much handier than defrosting then chopping im sure!! :D

good luck with the diet!! :D

xxx
  • carriebradshaw
    Options
    I freeze chopped raw onions all the time,just shake the bag now and again til they're fully frozen so you don't end up with one big lump :)
  • Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi Janey,

Yes you can freeze them. I usually chop and open freeze them (spread out on a baking tray) before bagging them up so that they don't clump together and I can lift out as many as I need.

There's an earlier thread on freezing onions that should help so I've added your thread to it to keep the suggestions together.

Pink
  • noonesperfect
    Options
    Does anyone know if you can freeze spring onions (scallions)?

I sowed some seeds a couple of weeks ago and they're coming through now.
    So it'll be a while before they're ready. But they will all be ready at the same time.

Hope so, I love them in stir fries. Yum yum!
    :wave:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport