PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Freezing onions

Options

Comments

• Penelope_Penguin
    Options
    There's an older thread here - Feeezing onions.

They will keep for weeks in a cool place, or the fridge.

HTH, Penny. x
    :rudolf: Sheep, pigs, hens and bees on our Teesdale smallholding :rudolf:
  • Skint_Catt
    Skint_Catt Posts: 11,548 Forumite
    Options
    I had two left over jsut before I went on holiday. I hate throwing anything out so I chopped them and froze them. Perfect! I now know that 1/2 the bag is one onion or whole bag is two large onions!

Can you freeze raw mushrooms/cucumber/lettuce etc? I'm guessing the water content might make the last two unviable but I'm always wasting mushrooms.

C xx
  • Elliesmum
    Elliesmum Posts: 1,519 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I also have frozen onions but I blanched them first.

EM xx
    You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation.
    Plato ;) Make £2018 in 2018 no. 37 - total = £1626.25/£2018 :j
  • mrs_metal
    Options
    My Mum chops mushrooms, freezes them and uses them later for cooking, they taste fine, I keep meaning to have a go at it.

there was a thread here the other day about this, I've been thinking of making freezer bags up with different combinations for different dishes for example a bag with chopped onions, garlic and ginger for a curry or a bag with chopped onions, garlic, mushrooms and carrots for a bolognaise or to just have the different ingredients in different freezer bags, still thinking about it. Next time I do a big shop I'll get extra onions and stuff and give it a go.
  • liz545
    liz545 Posts: 1,726 Forumite
    Options
    flossyblog wrote: »
    It was such a godsend when I discovered on OS that you can freeze onions,

I chop them up and open freeze them on my pizza tray, then transfer into freezer bag.
    Nowadays though I tend to caramalize them before freezing, this can be done easily in the microwave. This method uses a tiny amount of oil compared to cooking on a stove. can be kept in the fridge for a week
    saves even more time when cooking.

Hi Flossy - could you post your method for doing caramelized onions in the microwave? Sounds like a great timesaver!
    2015 comp wins - £370.25
    Recent wins: gym class, baby stuff
    Thanks to everyone who posts freebies and comps! :j
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,321 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Can you freeze onions. I've bought loads today as on special can you cut them up and put them into the freezer and just take out what you need? do they taste the same?
    Thanks in advance

No need to freeze them, unless you want to prepare in advance that is

If they are firm then they will keep for months in a cool place, like shed / garage in winter,

Take them out of any plastic bags, and put into nylon stockings etc, hang them up to allow air to circulate, just keep an eye on them & use any sprouters first

If not many then veg tray in fridge bottom will do for a month or so
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • moneypanicker
    Options
    Thanks all for input. I'm going to go chop up onions now. May also try peppers. I've been freezing blueberries on my fruit tray (came with the freezer!) for a while now they defost lovely but strawberries don't. I guess i just need to be adventurous and try!
  • flossyblog
    Options
    liz545 wrote: »
    Hi Flossy - could you post your method for doing caramelized onions in the microwave? Sounds like a great timesaver!

Hi liz545

I usually do 1-2kg at a time.
    Put chopped onions in a large microwavable bowl. Add 1 tablespoon of oil per kilo. I used sunflower oil
    microwave on High 750W for 5 mins, take them out and stir. pop them back in microwave for 10mins,
    take out and stir, do this for approximately 30 mins in 10 minute stages.or until golden brown

you need to adjust timing and power if cooking smaller amounts.

I have a lid on my microwavable dish which I used but you can do it without a lid

I got the idea from this blog
    http://luv2eathate2cook.wordpress.com/pages/punjabi-onion-tomato-masala-for-gravy/
    Grocery challenge year budget €3K Jan €190 Feb €225 Mar €313 Apr €202 May €224 June €329 July €518 Aug €231Sep €389 Oct €314 Nov €358 Dec €335  Total spent €3628
    2021Frugal living challenge year budget €12.250 Total spent €15.678

Jan €438 Feb €1200 Mar €508  Apr €799 May €1122 June
    1595 July €835 Aug €480 Sep €957 Oct €993  Nov €909 Dec €2698

• chardonnay_2
    Options
    peppers and mushrooms chopped also freeze fine
    :love: married to the man of my dreams! 9-08-09:love:
  • kippers
    kippers Posts: 2,061 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I've just dug up my over-wintering onions from my allotment. As these do not store very well i usually chop them up and freeze them and use them in spag bog, curries etc.......however, i'm having a bit of a brain storm and i can't remember if i usually blanch them first (my husband swears i don't bother blanching them but i just can't remember).

Does anyone know if it's ok not to blanch them? :confused::confused::confused:

Thanks for any replies.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport