PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Freezing onions

Options

Comments

• jennyjo_2
    jennyjo_2 Posts: 1,812 Forumite
    Options
    I always find my onions have gone watery when I've tried freezing them

not a newbie now: but still be gentle with me ;)
  • tiff
    tiff Posts: 6,608 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    Blimey jennyjo, what board to you live on? I need to see some of these 156 posts you have been thanked for!
    “A budget is telling your money where to go instead of wondering where it went.” - Dave Ramsey
  • jennyjo_2
    jennyjo_2 Posts: 1,812 Forumite
    Options
    oops all embarrassed now :o
    I'm a comp nut and any good ones I post on the comp forum

not a newbie now: but still be gentle with me ;)
  • tiff
    Options
    Ah, I do the comps from time to time :)
    “A budget is telling your money where to go instead of wondering where it went.” - Dave Ramsey
  • MATH
    MATH Posts: 2,941 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Anything I want to be free-flow I open freeze on serving trays (have a stack of manky ones just for the job) When frozen tip contents into freezer bags or old ice cream tubs and give a good shake. Works really well with peas, onions, mushrooms, woodland fruits etc. HTH
    Life's a beach! Take your shoes off and feel the sand between your toes.
  • Ticklemouse
    Ticklemouse Posts: 5,030 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I'll try the open freezing on a tray thing first.

I would go through 12 onions in a month easily, but as I said, they got a bit warm so have started to sprout/turn, therefore freezing is the only MSE alternative. Also, even though I bought myself a tall larder fridge last year, it's still crammed to the gunnels with everything else. Had to get a big fridge cos I like my fruit/veggies and was fed up of trying to cram them in the old fridge. Have to buy in larger quantities as no greengrocer unless I go into town and I'm a busy bee with everything else.

BTW - in true MSE style, I bartered with the old fridge-freezer, which was in perfect working order. Got my PC overhauled and lots of new software installed, which would have cost me lots more than the £50 I was going to ask for it. :D

PS Note to self - move vegetable baskets to cool understairs cupboard!
  • tiff
    Options
    It may be a silly question but which veg do you put in the fridge, and which do you put in your veg baskets?

Just curious, I put my spuds in a sack in the shed, onions and garlic in the utility room and near enough everything else in the fridge. Just wondering if there is something I could leave out of the fridge that wouldnt go off in a few days.
  • Ticklemouse
    Ticklemouse Posts: 5,030 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I put spuds and onions in the veg baskets - all others except garlic in the fridge - I love cold raw carrots. Garlic is hung up in the understairs cupboard. I put apples and some citrus fruit in the veg basket if the fruit bowls are full. However, when I got my new freezer I had to move the bin and the veg basket to the only other spot in the kitchen, which unfortunately is near the boiler so I get sprouty onions and spuds faster than I should.
  • trafalgar_2
    trafalgar_2 Posts: 22,309 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I put spuds and onions in the veg baskets - all others except garlic in the fridge - I love cold raw carrots. Garlic is hung up in the understairs cupboard. I put apples and some citrus fruit in the veg basket if the fruit bowls are full. However, when I got my new freezer I had to move the bin and the veg basket to the only other spot in the kitchen, which unfortunately is near the boiler so I get sprouty onions and spuds faster than I should.
    never store onions and potatoes together as the gases they each give off .........turn each off
  • Trow
    Trow Posts: 2,298 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    trafalgar wrote:
    never store onions and potatoes together as the gases they each give off .........turn each off

Can you turn them back on again? ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 8 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family