PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Freezing onions

Options

Comments

• trafalgar_2
    trafalgar_2 Posts: 22,309 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Trow wrote:
    Can you turn them back on again? ;)
    not sure but you could have fun trying :D

or get committed:eek:
  • Curry_Queen
    Curry_Queen Posts: 5,589 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I try and shove everything in the fridge if there's room, apart from fruit in the fruit bowl, which means both salad tubs and usually 2 shelves of the fridge are crammed with veggies :o

Never heard that about spuds and onions though, would that still apply when they're in the fridge? Ikeep them together in one of the salad boxes, along with whatever other root veggies will fit in. Stuff like peppers, courgettes, tomatoes etc reside in the other box and everyhting else wherever it will fit LOL! Ginger is kept in the freezer (tip I picked up on tv) as it keeps so much better and easier to grate frozen ;)
    "An Ye Harm None, Do What Ye Will"
    ~
    It is that what you do, good or bad,
    will come back to you three times as strong!

• squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Ginger is kept in the freezer (tip I picked up on tv) as it keeps so much better and easier to grate frozen ;)
    How interesting! It's so nice to learn new things every day. Right, excuse me while I pop downstairs and move my ginger from the fridge to the freezer...
    :A
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • trafalgar_2
    trafalgar_2 Posts: 22,309 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I try and shove everything in the fridge if there's room, apart from fruit in the fruit bowl, which means both salad tubs and usually 2 shelves of the fridge are crammed with veggies :o

Never heard that about spuds and onions though, would that still apply when they're in the fridge? Ikeep them together in one of the salad boxes, along with whatever other root veggies will fit in. Stuff like peppers, courgettes, tomatoes etc reside in the other box and everyhting else wherever it will fit LOL! Ginger is kept in the freezer (tip I picked up on tv) as it keeps so much better and easier to grate frozen ;)

don't put spuds in the fridge.......keep them dry and the fridge won't do that:D
    "Refrigeration can damage some vegetables (such as potatoes), giving an off-flavour or mushy texture."

some more tips here..................yes they still give off the gases even in the fridge
  • Curry_Queen
    Curry_Queen Posts: 5,589 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    trafalgar wrote:
    don't put spuds in the fridge.......keep them dry and the fridge won't do that:D

Ohhhh :o

I do keep them dry, and have paper towel lining the salad boxes to mop up any condensation, but if I store them in the kitchen they end up sprouting before I can use them :(

I'll check out the links you posted, thanks :)

And now I'm off to :drool: for 45 minutes cos James Martin is on Ready Steady Cook woot.gif

Catch you soon guys :D
    "An Ye Harm None, Do What Ye Will"
    ~
    It is that what you do, good or bad,
    will come back to you three times as strong!

• Ticklemouse
    Ticklemouse Posts: 5,030 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Ok, success guys.

Part froze some on baking sheet (20 mins) then put in poly bag and for next lot, had to do school run so left them to freeze completely before adding them to bag. Either way, they are all lovely and loose in the bag, ready for those "I need some chopped onions NOW" moments.

(Also, loads cheaper than buying them pre chopped and frozen, which I would never do, but MIL does. Also did extra crispy roasties last night so have a bag of those in freezer too)
  • loopylass
    loopylass Posts: 1,296 Forumite
    Options
    I bought a big reduced bag of onions in tescos last night and i know i wont use them all up before they go soft so i didnt know if i could freeze them to use later on
    If i can how long would they keep in the freezer
    and how long would one take to defrost

Thanks
  • researcher
    researcher Posts: 1,539 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Don't freeze them - but they should keep for ages if they're kept in a cool dark place - (not damp). Otherwise you'd be better cooking them and then freezing them in portions to add to anything that needs onion.
  • sashacat
    sashacat Posts: 821 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I often freeze onions because I grow hundreds of them and some of the, particularly the red ones don't keep as well as the others, and once they show signs of ageing I cut off any bad bits, and put the rest of the onion, roughly chopped in the food processor and chop them finely and freeze them. They are fine for cooking, for casseroles and soups and in fact just for saving time chopping them. However do be careful to put them in well sealed containers or everything in that area of the freezer will smell of onions.
    Wombling £457.41
  • loopylass
    loopylass Posts: 1,296 Forumite
    Options
    Thankyou all for all your help

Think of me peeling and chopping about 30 onions and standing there with tears streaming down my face :rotfl:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 8 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport