PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

how to make hm breadcrumbs?

Options
Can anybody tell me how you make your breadcrumbs from scratch? Is it easy?

Also, it may be an idea to have a basic ingredients thread - how to make things like breadcrumbs, sauces, batter etc Not actual recipes for meals just for ingredients.

I am new to OS I've only started this month but I'm determined to make everything from scratch, not because I'm a saint but because I'm absolutely skint!! Problem is I haven't got a clue where to start as I've always bought thing like this from the supermarket.

Any recipes/ideas for basics would be welcomed by me and I'm sure others :)
We’ve had to remove your signature. Please check the Forum Rules if you’re unsure why it’s been removed and, if still unsure, email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

Comments

• Rikki
    Rikki Posts: 21,625 Forumite
    Options
    If you have a food processer just break the bread up in there and turn on. Viola breadcrumbs.
    If you have to do it by hand. Break the bread up into a bowl. Allow the bread to dry out and then rub between the palms of your hands until you get fine breadcrumbs. Stale bread is best.
    £2 Coins Savings Club 2012 is £4 :).............................NCFC member No: 00005.........

......................................................................TCNC member No: 00008
    NPFM 21
  • melt71
    melt71 Posts: 586 Forumite
    Options
    oh right thanks. Didn't realise it would be that simple! I may try them on my fishcakes tonight then and see what happens.
    We’ve had to remove your signature. Please check the Forum Rules if you’re unsure why it’s been removed and, if still unsure, email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
  • amazon_spice
    amazon_spice Posts: 1,639 Forumite
    Options
    Stale bread can be rubbed on a grater to make breadcrumbs.
  • bigmuffins
    bigmuffins Posts: 659 Forumite
    Options
    Can also toast bread, cool and then blitz into bread crumbs. (good for using up bits of toast leftover)
    Or blitz stale bread, then spread on oven tray and put in oven to crisp up. Cool, then blitz again for fine, dry crumbs like you buy.
  • squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    If you check the MEGA Index sticky there is a section on Cooking.

Listed in there are threads for yorkshire puddings, pancakes, sauces... all sorts of things. You'll be reading for hours and hours and hours ...

:)
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • Fairy22
    Fairy22 Posts: 69 Forumite
    Options
    I never eat crusts from loaves, so just stick them in my smoothie machine, and it chops them up brilliant. x
  • amazon_spice
    amazon_spice Posts: 1,639 Forumite
    Options
    The birds get mine. :-)
  • melt71
    melt71 Posts: 586 Forumite
    Options
    Thank you Squeaky! I totally missed that thread. I hardly ever bother to read sticky threads to be honest but I'm going to have a good read of that one! WOW :)
  • Kelinik
    Kelinik Posts: 3,319 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi everyone :)

I've got a whole load of crusts etc that I want to make into breadcrumbs but am unsure how to do this without a food processor or similar. :confused:

So far I only seem to have managed to tear them into bits which is not quite what I had in mind lol! Any suggestions please?
    :heart2: Mumma to DD 13yrs, DD 11yrs & DS 3 yrs. :heart2:
  • susank
    susank Posts: 809 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    crusts are more difficult without a processor - You can toast them and then crush them though or use one of those hand processors maybe?
    Saving in my terramundi pot £2, £1 and 50p just for me! :j
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport