Email address for Job Centre Plus complaints Department please.

Options

Comments

• duchy
    duchy Posts: 19,511 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Xmas Saver!
    Options
    I think knowing when to stand back and let our kids fight their own battles is really hard-as Carol said emotion gets involved and when dealing with the brick wall that is some of our government agencies it IS a natural reaction to want to help..........however we all do have to learn for ourseves at some point. Our kids are still our kids whatever age they are no matter if they fall into the legal defintion of adult but sometimes by "taking over "and getting involved we weaken their point where advising in the background but letting them present the argument can be the better way.
    My son is 16-but DOES have a disability and needs more involvement than the average 16 year old and I'm finding the "hands off" approach really hard but ultimately I have to let him and teach him to fight his own battles as I'm not always going to be around to do it for him.
    Good luck to your daughter in her new job Carol
    I Would Rather Climb A Mountain Than Crawl Into A Hole

MSE Florida wedding .....no problem
  • glossgal
    glossgal Posts: 438 Forumite
    Options
    alison999 wrote: »
    i am so through with this thread.

since at 24, i am "responding" to a woman, almost twice my age, with the attention span of a goldfish.

at 19 your daughter should be adult enough to deal with this, with or without your consent. i dont see what your mother has to do with this. for the millionth time, you can support your daughter without doing things for her; you are doing her no favours acting like this, when if anything goes wrong, all she has to do is run to mummy who cannot even seem to comprehend that her daughter is not everyone elses #1 priority.

Bang on. I've said my bit too now, OP just won't see she is perpetuating the biggest over-reaction since time began! She insists she is only protecting her daughter and doesn't want special treatment and addresses peopel as if they have never had or been children :rolleyes: but moans in earlier posts how 'other people's claims get rushed through etc. I also find it slightly ironic actually that OP is a doctors receptionist but is here complaining about the attitude of JCP staff being rude! lol
    "I always pass on good advice. It is the only thing to do with it. It is never of any use to oneself" -Oscar Wilde
  • bestpud
    bestpud Posts: 11,048 Forumite
    Options
    All I have to say is that this young woman deserves to be treated with respect. I can also understand a young woman of 19 not being mature/comfortable enough to complain herself and asking for help from Mum. My husband and I ask each other for help sometimes! What's wrong with helping her, you would do it for a friend.

My son is older than the OP's daughter but has a condition which means he can't handle certain things,especially those to do with what to him are complex financial issues, so I went to the bank with him last year (at his request) to help him open a savings account.

If parents can't help their children out, who the heck can?

Absolutely! I don't think anyone here would advocate the OP leaving her dd to it!

If it were my dd, I would support her by helping her word a complaint, encouraging her, going with her to the job centre (but letting her speak), helping her write down what she wanted to say before calling (to try and make her feel less flustered), making sure she had all the facts, but most of all by boosting her confidence and telling her she is doing the right thing and has every right to speak up and expect a professional level of respect.

I would possibly do a bit of role play with her, if she thought it would help. But I would not complain, or speak, for her!

There is a big difference between supporting and taking over imo.
  • seven-day-weekend
    seven-day-weekend Posts: 36,755 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Yes bestpud, I agree. When I went to the bank with my son, he spoke to the advisor, I was just there in case he got stuck (at his request) and to give him confidence.

The point I was making is that we should be there to help. Some people don't seem to think the OP should help her daughter at all.
    (AKA HRH_MUngo)
    Member #10 of £2 savers club
    Imagine someone holding forth on biology whose only knowledge of the subject is the Book of British Birds, and you have a rough idea of what it feels like to read Richard Dawkins on theology: Terry Eagleton
  • cazziej
    cazziej Posts: 321 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    MRS_TO_BE wrote: »
    I personally think it would be better for your daughter to address the complaint issue. A letter written with your help will help her in the future when it comes to compaining about issues. You can of course write a seperate issues addressing the way you were spoken to and how it made you feel.

I fully understand that you are trying to help your daughter but feel she would do better to try and start dealing with them herself with you of course in the background. she can then take notes of conversations and ask the member of staff to hold whilst she clarifys stuff with you. Believe me she will learn alot more this way.

As for your original request for an email address sadly there isn't one. You need to write to the office manager and it will be looked into. If you are still not happy after receiving the reply I think it tells you what to do next.

Hi Mrs To Be

In other circumstances, I would let her get on with it (with help and guidance if wanted of course), but in this situation, she has become so absolutely despondant that she can barely even speak to them, knowing how she has been given the runaround, at one point she wanted to just give up her claim, but why should she really? I appreciate what you are saying though and hopefully she will learn lessons for the future.

I will make my complaint in writing as it looks, as you say, as though there is not an email address, mores the pity.

Best wishes

Carol
  • cazziej
    Options
    All I have to say is that this young woman deserves to be treated with respect. I can also understand a young woman of 19 not being mature/comfortable enough to complain herself and asking for help from Mum. My husband and I ask each other for help sometimes! What's wrong with helping her, you would do it for a friend.

My son is older than the OP's daughter but has a condition which means he can't handle certain things,especially those to do with what to him are complex financial issues, so I went to the bank with him last year (at his request) to help him open a savings account.

If parents can't help their children out, who the heck can?

Thank you seven-day-weekend!!:T

Most people seem to be missing my point that she wants my help, and therefore why should I not give it to her. I really don't see why people are objecting so strongly - I wouldn't like to think that they would ignore their own families in situations like this. As far as I am concerned, we should be helping our children when needed.

Best wishes

Carol
  • cazziej
    Options
    duchy wrote: »
    I think knowing when to stand back and let our kids fight their own battles is really hard-as Carol said emotion gets involved and when dealing with the brick wall that is some of our government agencies it IS a natural reaction to want to help..........however we all do have to learn for ourseves at some point. Our kids are still our kids whatever age they are no matter if they fall into the legal defintion of adult but sometimes by "taking over "and getting involved we weaken their point where advising in the background but letting them present the argument can be the better way.
    My son is 16-but DOES have a disability and needs more involvement than the average 16 year old and I'm finding the "hands off" approach really hard but ultimately I have to let him and teach him to fight his own battles as I'm not always going to be around to do it for him.
    Good luck to your daughter in her new job Carol

Thank you Duchy.

I agree that it can be hard to sit back and watch your children struggle and I take your point regarding a hands off approach at times. My daughter is quite confident and I think the fact that she usually is has made the way she has been treated, and more so the way it has affected her, worse than it might have been. In most things she is quite independent and only asks for my help when she needs it. As her mum, I am happy to help her whenever I can.

Thanks for wishing her good luck in her new job - I am counting the days!!

Best wishes

Carol
  • cazziej
    Options
    glossgal wrote: »
    Bang on. I've said my bit too now, OP just won't see she is perpetuating the biggest over-reaction since time began! She insists she is only protecting her daughter and doesn't want special treatment and addresses peopel as if they have never had or been children :rolleyes: but moans in earlier posts how 'other people's claims get rushed through etc. I also find it slightly ironic actually that OP is a doctors receptionist but is here complaining about the attitude of JCP staff being rude! lol

No, I won't see that I am perpetuating the biggest over-reaction since time began - you are not party to any of the conversations that have taken place and so are not fully aware of the manner in which she has been treated and some of the comments that have been made to her. I am merely helping my daughter to fight her corner and will continue to do this. I would think if it were your family you would help and defend them too, but then obviously you wouldn't consider this as a big over-reaction would you?

I am quite aware thank you that other people have had and/or been children themselves, but don't understand what you mean with regard to me moaning about other peoples claims being rushed through - how does this link up? I am merely making a comparison.

I am glad you are finding it ironic that I am "a doctors receptionist", although where I mentioned my actual job title within the surgery, I am not sure. I take it you are trying to make a point the doctors receptionists are rude? Well pardon me, but surely that is a heavy generalisation - tut tut, how rude of you. I hope all the doctors receptionists on here don't take offence at this!!

Carol
  • cazziej
    Options
    bestpud wrote: »
    Absolutely! I don't think anyone here would advocate the OP leaving her dd to it!

If it were my dd, I would support her by helping her word a complaint, encouraging her, going with her to the job centre (but letting her speak), helping her write down what she wanted to say before calling (to try and make her feel less flustered), making sure she had all the facts, but most of all by boosting her confidence and telling her she is doing the right thing and has every right to speak up and expect a professional level of respect.

I would possibly do a bit of role play with her, if she thought it would help. But I would not complain, or speak, for her!

There is a big difference between supporting and taking over imo.

Bestpud, as I have explained, in ordinary circumstances, she would be in more than a position to stick up for herself, but this particular thing has had her in tears. I am complaining and speaking for her WITH HER CONSENT as she does not feel able to in this situation.

As far as I am concerned I am supporting her, and although other posters may feel I am taking over, the important thing to me is that my daughter is happy.

Thank you

Carol
  • cazziej
    Options
    Yes bestpud, I agree. When I went to the bank with my son, he spoke to the advisor, I was just there in case he got stuck (at his request) and to give him confidence.

The point I was making is that we should be there to help. Some people don't seem to think the OP should help her daughter at all.

Thanks, seven-day-weekend.

I really can't see why people are having such a paddy about me wanting to help my own daughter, I really would have thought that this would be a natural thing to do, but maybe I am in the minority.

Thanks, Carol
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport