PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Table-top halogen ovens

Options

Comments

• silvasava
    silvasava Posts: 4,433 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    salthepal wrote: »
    I was planning to roast a whole chicken in my new halogen oven but it didn't fit in! What sort of container do you roast your joints in and do you use the low or high rack?
    Thanks.

I've been surfing the web for recipes & after roasting a pork joint if I was roasting a chicken I would put it on the low rack with the extender if you have one (just to keep the element 'thingy' from being too close to the meat & burning it) I'd probably set it at about 180 deg - pretty much the same as you would do in a normal oven & just keep checking. I always think that lower & slower is probably better for meat until you get used to it.
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
  • johnnyshuttle
    Options
    silvasava wrote: »
    I've been surfing the web for recipes & after roasting a pork joint if I was roasting a chicken I would put it on the low rack with the extender if you have one (just to keep the element 'thingy' from being too close to the meat & burning it) I'd probably set it at about 180 deg - pretty much the same as you would do in a normal oven & just keep checking. I always think that lower & slower is probably better for meat until you get used to it.
    Always make sure you've aluminium foil on the top to stop burning then remove when nearly done.
    The Best Currant Cutter known To Man!!
  • newleaf
    newleaf Posts: 3,132 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    Just bought a halogen table top oven from Costco for around £36. It has a stand for the lid, two racks and the extender ring. I think this is a good price.
    I already have a Remoska, but I'm fed up of the electrics tripping every time I use it. I returned my first to lakeland for a replacement because of it, but this one has started doing it now. Although I will probably still use the Remoska for 'dry' things like baked potatoes, it seems that anything 'wet' (steamy) causes the problem with the electrics, so I am looking forward to trying out the halogen jobby.
    Official DFW Nerd No 096 - Proud to have dealt with my debt!
  • poppygob
    Options
    I must say I tend to cook 'drier' type food in mine, still brill though. I find it quick, clean and effecient.
  • Bigbase
    Bigbase Posts: 127 Forumite
    Options
    silvasava wrote: »

Ive found recipes here: http://www.tophalogenovenrecipes.com - How ever not sure if the timings work for all ovens!

Also a free cookbook: http://halogenovenrecipes.co.uk/cookbooks/free-halogen-oven-recipe-cookbook-download.html

Again, not sure if the timings match your oven best to just keep checking:cool:
  • silvasava
    silvasava Posts: 4,433 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I notice some frozen foods give temps for fan ovens & these seem to be about 10 deg lower than a conventional oven. I used these temps for my oven chips & they were perfect so in future I'll probably use the fan oven temps where they're stated. Oven is now stored in the 'van waiting for our next trip (soon please soon!)
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
  • mark03r
    mark03r Posts: 2 Newbie
    edited 9 March 2011 at 7:45PM
    Options
    I you are reading this thread about Halogen Cookers and have not brought one yet I recommend you go and buy one they are fantastic, they save space, time, energy and money plus I think that a lot of the food you cook in them is tastier than a convention convection oven. I use mine all the time I just wish I could swap my fitted oven for a dishwasher.:rotfl:
  • dianasnan
    dianasnan Posts: 584 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Didn't realise that Costco sell halogen ovens, must have a look the next time I am in there.

They do their tasting demos with one and I always wondered why they didn't sell them.
  • Kyresa
    Kyresa Posts: 1,534 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    dianasnan wrote: »
    Didn't realise that Costco sell halogen ovens, must have a look the next time I am in there.

They do their tasting demos with one and I always wondered why they didn't sell them.

They are around the £30 mark :) I think that includes the lid stand too :)

Once you buy one, you'll never look back!

Don't be too concerned about "recipes" either! Just use it and cook in it anything you would cook in a normal oven, just usually cook it for a little bit lower temperature and a little less time!
  • born_blonde
    born_blonde Posts: 357 Forumite
    Options
    I'm sorry but I struggle with my halogen oven. It's the cooking in a bowl thing rather than on a flat surface. Take roasties for example, if I cook them in the bowl they do not cook evenly how ever often I stir them. If I put the on a grid it's to small and difficult to manoeuvre. I know and have read how many of you have great success so I know it must be me but I still can not understand a heating element over a bowl.
    C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Able Archer
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport