PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Table-top halogen ovens

Options

Comments

• ELACLA
    ELACLA Posts: 193 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I agree with mark03r if you haven't already got one buy one
    Cant remember the last time i used my proper oven
  • silvasava
    silvasava Posts: 4,433 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I'm sorry but I struggle with my halogen oven. It's the cooking in a bowl thing rather than on a flat surface. Take roasties for example, if I cook them in the bowl they do not cook evenly how ever often I stir them. If I put the on a grid it's to small and difficult to manoeuvre. I know and have read how many of you have great success so I know it must be me but I still can not understand a heating element over a bowl.

Bornblonde - I parboil my roasties, same as I would for my oven. I put them in a round dish (almost the size of the bowl) & baste with fat or oil & set the oven for about 200 deg. I just leave them until they start going brown & crispy & then turn them over using a slotted spoon, again, same as I would in a conventional oven.
    I know what you mean about an element & a bowl - I just think of it as using a powerful grill:rotfl:

It is worth persevering with though & trying different foods.

Good Luck!
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
  • cooking-mama
    cooking-mama Posts: 2,069 Forumite
    Options
    Well my £50.odds,Cookshop Halogen oven from Ideal World has given up the ghost after only 18months,(Tho apparantly that is a long time for these!)it still powers on,the fan still whirs into action but there is no light and therefore no heat,I think it would've gone sooner but I mainly used mine as a grill,ironicaly i had started roasting joints in it and was getting more adventorous(perhaps thats what added to its demise!)..realy missing it today,cos its regular use was for a weekend "grill up"...ive Emailed Ideal World to see if there is any chance of repair(doubt it),I will get another,but its either gonna be the £30 Aldi or Costco one...does anyone know the litre size of these?(ideal world is 11L),and does their extended guarantee cover the bulb?thanks
    PS,And to add insult to injury im convinced my Remoska(bought around the same time)is losing power...at least i know lakeland will replace that no problem tho.
    Slimming World..Wk1,..STS,..Wk2,..-2LB,..Wk3,..-3.5lb,..Wk4,..-2.5,..Wk5,..-1/2lb,Wk6,..STS,..Wk7,..-1lb.
    Week 10,total weightloss is now 13.5lbs Week 11 STSweek 14(I think)..-2, total loss now 1 stone exactly
    GOT TO TARGET..1/2lb under now weigh 10st 6.5(lost 1st 3.5lbs)
  • silvasava
    Options
    Well my £50.odds,Cookshop Halogen oven from Ideal World has given up the ghost after only 18months,(Tho apparantly that is a long time for these!)it still powers on,the fan still whirs into action but there is no light and therefore no heat,I think it would've gone sooner but I mainly used mine as a grill,ironicaly i had started roasting joints in it and was getting more adventorous(perhaps thats what added to its demise!)..realy missing it today,cos its regular use was for a weekend "grill up"...ive Emailed Ideal World to see if there is any chance of repair(doubt it),I will get another,but its either gonna be the £30 Aldi or Costco one...does anyone know the litre size of these?(ideal world is 11L),and does their extended guarantee cover the bulb?thanks
    PS,And to add insult to injury im convinced my Remoska(bought around the same time)is losing power...at least i know lakeland will replace that no problem tho.

Mama - I've just looked for the guarantee for my Aldi one and its in our caravan on site! As far as I can remember the Aldi one has a 3 year guarantee but I'm not sure if that covers the element 'thingy' I also seem to remember you could buy spares for it too (and in the UK) Mine came with the extender ring, two racks, two cooking dishes a pair of tongs and the frame thing to hold the lid when its hot.:T I've been very impressed so far but must admit I havn't had it a year yet. If no one else comes up with further info pm me & I'll get my paperwork
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
  • cooking-mama
    Options
    Thanks silvasava ive Emailed Ideal World, itl be interesting to see what their reply is. :)
    cant believe how much im missing the halogen already(especialy since i originaly thought about sending it back cos i didnt like it).gonna miss my toasted cheese for supper.
    Slimming World..Wk1,..STS,..Wk2,..-2LB,..Wk3,..-3.5lb,..Wk4,..-2.5,..Wk5,..-1/2lb,Wk6,..STS,..Wk7,..-1lb.
    Week 10,total weightloss is now 13.5lbs Week 11 STSweek 14(I think)..-2, total loss now 1 stone exactly
  • silvasava
    Options
    Thanks silvasava ive Emailed Ideal World, itl be interesting to see what their reply is. :)
    cant believe how much im missing the halogen already(especialy since i originaly thought about sending it back cos i didnt like it).gonna miss my toasted cheese for supper.

Hi Mama - I for got to say that my halogen oven has an element NOT a bulb. From other users on the forum I gather the elements are somewhat more robust than the bulbs.
  • cooking-mama
    Options
    Thanks Silvasava, no sign of the Aldi one coming back anytime soon,and Costco dont have theirs in stock either...soooo,looks like im going for this one from Argos,Big 17l (and apparantly thats without an extension ring),so more expensive but can cope with a larger amount of food at a time(if the product details are correct that is!)
    http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/4237295/Trail/searchtext%3EHALOGEN+OVEN.htm#pdpFullProductInformation

Ideal world still havent replied to my Email,and im realy struggling without the halogen,so im off to Argos(Grudgingly,cos i hate paying full price for anything,and it looks like this isnt going to be reduced until July:rotfl:),but if it truly does have a bigger capacity then it will be worth the extra cost.
  • cooking-mama
    Options
    New Dilema...OH has phoned,he went to Costco after work and the do have Halogens in stock.Team Visicook,£35...ive told him to bring one home and we will compare Argos/Costco and keep the best value one...im intriqued by the possibility of the Argos one being 17litre.Gonna go and collect it soon.
  • silvasava
    Options
    New Dilema...OH has phoned,he went to Costco after work and the do have Halogens in stock.Team Visicook,£35...ive told him to bring one home and we will compare Argos/Costco and keep the best value one...im intriqued by the possibility of the Argos one being 17litre.Gonna go and collect it soon.

Hi Mamma - I've just had a look at the Argos one on their website. I think you will find that the glass bowl holds 12Lt and the extension ring increases the capacity by 5lt - total 17. This looks virtually the same as the Aldi one except Aldi threw in a few extras but you probably have those from your previous oven anyway. I couldn't make out if it was a bulb or an element though
    Good Luck & post when you've made your decision:)
  • cooking-mama
    Options
    silvasava,think you were correct,I asked to view before buying,didnt even need to take it out the box,shop assistant let me measure the circumference of the top 33cm(same as the Costco one,and slightly bigger than the Ideal world one)..misleading realy as the description states its 41cm,but i think that must include the stand...Anyway,ive kept the Costco one and we used it yesterday to cook oven chips and 1/4 pounders from the butchers...fantastic,the base is slightly wider than the Ideal World one so got more chips in,baked them perfectly and the burgers were grilled realy well too,takes a bit of getting used to having to lift the top off,but the Costco one has a free lid stand,just a bit awkward after being used to a hinged top for so long...another good thing is the Costco halogen part fits the ideal worls bowl(and all other accessories)so i have a spare bowl(just in case)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure