We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Uswitch Gas & Elec wine switching offer: Are you having problems?

Options

Comments

• pippy1974
    Options
    I chased up my voucher today and received my code within a couple of hours - I got a £60 case of wine (no choice about contents) with no delivery charge. I look forward to receiving it!
  • esthero_2
    Options
    Just to let you know I received my case today less than 48 hours after ordering it.

FYI if you don't click on the order button for the wine case that automatically comes up but browse the different bottles of wine you can add 12 of your own and make your own case, I just did it cos I am nosey but glad I did.
  • crazeetaxi
    Options
    Uswitch have claimed to me yesterday that Virgin only send them 1000 voucher codes per month and at the moment they are only sending codes for February.

Disgraceful.
  • greegor
    Options
    I have tried chasing up my free case of wine from Uswitch to be advised that because I didn't follow Martin's link to the Uswitch website I am not eligible. Please show me +where+ on your website, Martin, it says I should follow the Uswitch link to be eligible for a case of wine? You have only written that Uswitch are offering a free case of wine and some opinion on its quality. Uswitch advise me you have been on TV to explain that you must click on the link. Martin, I don't watch GMTV... Please update your +website+ with the correct information to avoid disappointing other members with the tricks normally reserved for the more unscrupulous.
  • Premier_2
    Premier_2 Posts: 15,141 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    greegor wrote: »
    I have tried chasing up my free case of wine from Uswitch to be advised that because I didn't follow Martin's link to the Uswitch website I am not eligible. Please show me +where+ on your website, Martin, it says I should follow the Uswitch link to be eligible for a case of wine? You have only written that Uswitch are offering a free case of wine and some opinion on its quality. Uswitch advise me you have been on TV to explain that you must click on the link. Martin, I don't watch GMTV... Please update your +website+ with the correct information to avoid disappointing other members with the tricks normally reserved for the more unscrupulous.

Are you serious?

This MSE site is covered in a huge amount of offers, some posted by Martin & his team, and many more by forum members. Often the offer involves a website link. Does this site need a disclaimer next to each and every such link saying if a person does not use the link provided, the offer may not be available?

In this case, the article provides an affiliate link to uSwitch (denoted by an asterisk) which allows you access to the free wine offer. If you look closely there is a similar non-affiliate link provided within the article to the same offer if you really don't want this site to gain financially by the offer - but remember this site has to be paid for somehow! Whichever of the 2 links you use, it won't affect the offer. If you decide to use a different link, of course the offer may not be available. What made you think otherwise? Where in the article does it suggest you can use an alternative link and still get the offer?

I guess you missed this from the article:
    ..in the main it's only links from the site, or for those who use the phone service and quote the deals here...

Finally, it may be wise to look again at this disclaimer found at the bottom of every webpage:
    This website is based on journalistic research. It does not constitute financial advice. Any information should be considered in regard to specific circumstances. All tips are followed at your own risk and should be followed up with your own research

That would include, as a minimum, checking out the terms & conditions of any offer and satisfying yourself that you are eligible for it. If in doubt, the time to ask is before you go ahead with the transaction/deal, not afterwards when you discover you were not eligible.
    "Now to trolling as a concept. .... Personally, I've always found it a little sad that people choose to spend such a large proportion of their lives in this way but they do, and we have to deal with it." - MSE Forum Manager 6th July 2010
  • dippenhall
    dippenhall Posts: 23 Forumite
    Options
    Has anyone had no response at all from uswitch about their wine switching offer?

I haven't received any wine and have emailed uswitch twice now since June, using the link suggested in this post - but I've had no response whatsoever!

Not sure what to do next! Any suggestions?
  • Former_MSE_Archna
    Options
    greegor wrote: »

Hi greegor,

Sorry this deal has not worked out for you. We do state in the article:

Do remember all but one of these deals are specific to the links below; go direct and they're not offered.

I will see if we can make this clearer in the article.

We also included this note in out weekly email a couple of months ago:

Want to earn £30 cashback/crate of wine on gas & elec comparisons?… don't go direct…
    xxxxxx....
  • Former_MSE_Archna
    Options
    Hi dippenhall,

If you PM (Private Message) me with your address and details I will chase this up with Uswitch. To PM me click on my name to the left and then on 'Send a private message'.

dippenhall wrote: »
    Has anyone had no response at all from uswitch about their wine switching offer?

I haven't received any wine and have emailed uswitch twice now since June, using the link suggested in this post - but I've had no response whatsoever!

Not sure what to do next! Any suggestions?
  • hughrobby
    Options
    I have just switched and got a £40 virgin wines voucher, when I went on the site I had to purchase £79.90 worth of wine to get the £40 discount. So I did it, it then added £5.99 post and packing, so I have paid over £45 to get a crate of wine, which may or may not be cheaper in Tesco.

BUT the big problem is that if you read the tiny smallprint you find that you have agreed to join a Virgin Wine Club that takes £20 from your credit card on the first of every month !!!.

You can NOT get this money back but must spend it on their expensive wine.

They have promised to release me from this contract but I am not hopeful, I have had no wine, no refunds and I await next months credit card bill with interest.

As I agreed to their conditions on the Virgin Wine site I know I have no legal redress, so I just hope I can cancel asap and only lose £60 to £80 pounds.

Not a very good money saving tip!
  • Premier_2
    Premier_2 Posts: 15,141 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    hughrobby wrote: »
    ...Not a very good money saving tip!

Hi hughrobby and welcome to MSE :)

Did you read the bit in the opening post by MSE Archna under the sub-title:
    Did you switch via the specific link on MoneySavingExpert.com?
    "Now to trolling as a concept. .... Personally, I've always found it a little sad that people choose to spend such a large proportion of their lives in this way but they do, and we have to deal with it." - MSE Forum Manager 6th July 2010
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport