🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Anyone Into Cross Stitching?

Options

Comments

• rainmac
    rainmac Posts: 7,063 Forumite
    Home Insurance Hacker! Cashback Cashier
    Options
    poppett wrote: »
    I had a lovely suprise yesterday when I got in from work. The postman had bought me 2 lovely kits that I had won in a giveaway in a well known cross stitch mag:T . The kits are a biggish 40th anniversary one and a small card sized one but both can be adapted for any anniversary I guess. I love those free giveaways, I send off for them and forget them. This is the 2nd thing I've won from one this year....had a pack of threads not so long back too.:D

Lovely! I recently won tickets to a Stitch & Craft Show but it was such a long way away and was 2 days away from when I received the tickets, couldn't go but would have loved to. I always enter the giveaways. You can enter them on this site and not have to buy the magazines... www.cross-stitching.com ;)
    :wave: If you want the rainbow, you've got to put up with the rain :wave:
  • rainmac
    Options
    shelly wrote: »
    How cute!

Can you link me to where you buy your coaster kits from please? (The plastic bit)

Hi Shelly, I usually buy blank coasters from eBay. I go to the cross stitch section and type 'coaster' in the serach box and look through what appears. Last week I got 10 large square coasters for less than £3 inc p&p - bargain! :D
  • rainmac
    Options
    Siren137 wrote: »
    Well I've gone and taken the plunge!! I've just brought a little cross stitch kit from ebay!! :j It only cost £1.50 including the postage and as we are going to a wedding in August I can use it on their card! I'm sure I will have enough time to do it.

Here is the design...what do you think?

Siren, congratulations on buying your first kit, they'll be no going back for you now! The kit is really sweet and looks a really good choice for a beginner. eBay is a great place to look for stitching bargains :D Let us know how you get on with your kit.

To put a cross stitch piece on a card I usually fray the fabric edges slightly (2 rows of aida) and attach a piece of white card or paper to the back of the stitching so when you attach the stitching to the card the colour of the card doesn't show through. Or put the stitching in an apperture card. HTH :D
  • poppett
    poppett Posts: 897 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Thank you Rainmac (very apt name for this weather btw:rotfl: ) for the link to the other magazine comps. Brilliant prizes, just entered quite a few! Good luck to you too.
    Shame about you not being able to get to the stitching show, did you give the tickets away?
    Thanks to your inspiration with the coasters I have also made one for my daughters teacher. My DD leaves junior school next week so we have a mug and a coaster to give her, makes a change to the usual choclates and flowers.
    I will add some photos later of the stitching I'm doing at the moment. It a huge Horse Racing scene and very intricate with constant change of colours.
    £2 savers club. No.90. Aim £500.
  • poppett
    Options
    Here is the progress of my Horse Racing one.

pict0186fd4.th.jpg

And the coaster I did for my daughters teacher.

pict0189go4.th.jpg

Sorry I had to do them as thumbnails, I can't resize and they would've been HUGE!
  • rainmac
    Options
    WOW poppett, the horse racing design is amazing, so detailed :T Is it for you or to give as a gift?

I love your Tweety Pie coaster, really cute! Your daughter's teacher will love it for sure! :D
  • Siren137
    Siren137 Posts: 423 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for the tips there Rainmac, they will come in very handy once the kit is done!
    I have to say I was surprised at the bargains on ebay! My poor other half will have to hear me begging to buy them now tee hee!!

I'm being all impatient though I want to start it now and it isn't even here yet hehe.
    :beer: Saving hard for a brighter future!:beer:
  • poppett
    Options
    rainmac wrote: »
    WOW poppett, the horse racing design is amazing, so detailed :T Is it for you or to give as a gift?

I love your Tweety Pie coaster, really cute! Your daughter's teacher will love it for sure! :D

The story behind the horse racing project goes as follows. It was my father-in-laws 60th birthday last year but at the time both myself and hubby were in and out of work after moving to another part of the country so we couldn't really afford something nice. In about March of this year I suggested to hubby about stitching this as F-I-L likes horse racing. Little did I know just how detailed it was and now there's no way he'll get it for this years birthday (in 2 weeks time) so we're hoping to have it done and framed for Christmas instead! Or I suppose there's always his retirement in 4 years!:rotfl:
  • pm2326
    pm2326 Posts: 1,096 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I just found this thread and i'm so excited! Sad i know!

I've been xstitching for just over a year now, took it up as a way to beat stress! But did i start with a small easy design... did i eck! I stupidly chose a panther on black aida..DMC's Vantage Point (i could'nt resist!). Well i finally finished it this weekend, it only took me 50 weeks to complete :eek: !!!!!!!!!!!

I'm like a few others on here and always have a few different smaller designs on the go at the same time so i dont get bored. I've already started on a small kitten pic for my bedroom...

Re Ebay kits, i love the Dimensions gold kits but think they are really expensive in the shops and at fairs. I've managed to get some xmas ones from ebay at ridiculous prices, one called sleigh ride was £10 its normally £30+ in the shops and a miniature snowman for £3 i've seen this one for £15+

ok im off to add this thread to my subscribed list and do some more stitching!
  • rainmac
    Options
    Well done on finishing the panther pm2326! I haven't got your staying power but wish I did.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family