PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Big Badger House (aka Noisy Lodger) HE'S GONE!

Options

Comments

• spirit
    spirit Posts: 2,886 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    hmnn, and what psuedonyms have you lined up for them B_L?
    Mortgage free as of 10/02/2015. Every brick and blade of grass belongs to meeeee. :j
  • Badger_Lady
    Badger_Lady Posts: 6,264 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Might leave that until I've met them :grin:
    Mortgage | £145,000Unsecured Debt | [strike]£7,000[/strike] £0 Lodgers | |
  • harryhound
    harryhound Posts: 2,662 Forumite
    Options
    Hi Badger,

I don't want to rain or your parade - but have you ever had any hassle from the HMO thought police?
    I notice that the appear to have three stories - are you the one who will be fried in the attic?
    It is not so much the title of HMO but the rights the council then have to demand that the place is made to comply with regulations designed for a Salvation Army doss house.

My son used to own a three story place and, seeing the regulations being tightened up decided to sell.
    (He also wanted to get married but that is another story)

Rules are really tough in Scotland, perhaps over the 7 bridge, they are still pretty relaxed.

Harry.

http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/hmos.htm
  • Dave_liverpool
    Options
    Two PotentialLodgers lined up to view tomorrow morning...

PotentialLodger One - man who's just returned from world travelling, and is currently being assessed for a full-time job in the area.
    PotentialLodger Two - man who I know nothing about other than his name!
    Phileaslodger

hewhomustremainunnamedlodger

thread lurker here :D

just my 2p worth

Dave

• spirit
    spirit Posts: 2,886 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    harryhound wrote: »
    Hi Badger,

I don't want to rain or your parade - but have you ever had any hassle from the HMO thought police?
    I notice that the appear to have three stories - are you the one who will be fried in the attic?
    It is not so much the title of HMO but the rights the council then have to demand that the place is made to comply with regulations designed for a Salvation Army doss house.

My son used to own a three story place and, seeing the regulations being tightened up decided to sell.
    (He also wanted to get married but that is another story)

Rules are really tough in Scotland, perhaps over the 7 bridge, they are still pretty relaxed.

Harry.

http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/hmos.htm

There is quite a bit of difference between lodgings and HMO. Lodgings is where the landlord also lives there and lets out a room (or more) lodgers are not tenants and have no rights over a property.

as far as i'm aware an HMO is fully let to individuals without a resident landlord.
    Mortgage free as of 10/02/2015. Every brick and blade of grass belongs to meeeee. :j
  • Badger_Lady
    Options
    It is a grey area - houses with three floors and three occupants not related eachother can be an HMO, where the local authority sees fit. However, back in the era when I was investigating this stuff, the local authority confirmed that I was not an HMO :wink:

And by the way, there's no-one in the loft, just some old camping and DIY equipment. The third floor can't be seen from the photo because it's underground (but leads out to the back garden).
  • Badger_Lady
    Options
    P.S. it's also had a good old safety check from the local fire service, who came up with a "plan of escape" from each room, plus fitting and checking smoke alarms on every floor :wink:
  • oystercatcher
    Options
    Might leave that until I've met them :grin:

Noooooo, you can always change their names when they move in and you learn more about them.

I think.......

Man of the World

and

Mystery Man

would do for a start.

Waiting in anticipation :D
    Decluttering, 20 mins / day Jan 2024 2/2 
  • Farzackerly
    Options
    It is a grey area - houses with three floors and three occupants not related eachother can be an HMO, where the local authority sees fit.
    I fell foul of this particular piece of chicanery, years ago, in Luton. The LA decided I was running an HMO simply because I let out two rooms to students on a casual basis. Term times only, as it were. Compared to the utter ratholes and scumbag landlords in the other parts of the town, I was offering a veritable paradise for their rent money - just enough to cover the room's portion of the mortgage, basically.
    The proof of the pudding was that the same students kept coming back year after year and everybody was dead happy about the way things were going - until Luton Bloody Council stuck their noses in.
    Barstods. They insisted I needed a fire escape, fire doors, all sorts of expensive chit like that.
    I ask you, in a two-story terraced house of three bedrooms?
    I eventually left the place in disgust - throwing two fingers up at them.
  • flimsier
    flimsier Posts: 799 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    *subscribes to thread*
    Can we just take it as read I didn't mean to offend you?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure