PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Big Badger House (aka Noisy Lodger) HE'S GONE!

Options

Comments

• Badger_Lady
    Badger_Lady Posts: 6,264 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    It's the one that says "Landlady can have direct payments if the lodger is more than 2 months in arrears". Which in LHA language really means 3 months in arrears (because they pay rent retrospectively instead of in advance).
    Mortgage | £145,000Unsecured Debt | [strike]£7,000[/strike] £0 Lodgers | |
  • furndire
    furndire Posts: 7,308 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 15 July 2010 at 11:38AM
    Options
    Hi, been following this thread for a while. Sounds like ex lodger thought she could pull a fast one - maybe not so dozy after all, especially as she left near the end of the 2 months. I am wondering has she done it before elsewhere??????? People tend to stumble on fraud by default, and 2nd time round is so much easier.
    I bet she was hoping you would say she didn't move out until roughly the date they caught up with her.
  • Tea3
    Tea3 Posts: 460 Forumite
    Options
    Just a quick note to say if she tries to get round you in any way to say she moved out later than she actually did please don't do it (i'm sure you wouldn't anyway but felt i had to post incase she tried to get round you). It is sometimes hard to say no to someone when their in a mess, but once you say she left in Jan, Apr or whatever month there is then a written record of this and it may come back to bite you on the bum one day i.e. if you get a tax check to see your paying right amount and tax man thinks you were getting all this extra rent coming in for the past year. From your posts I can see you bend over backwards to be a great landlady and friend to the people who stay with you but thought I should mention it incase she tries to get you to 'amend' her official moving out date (if she is not thinking along these lines then I am wondering why she mentioned it to you and not to someone else like bf or mil instead?)
    Some People Live & Learn, Some People Just Live...
  • Badger_Lady
    Options
    Thanks Tea. No, there's no way I would go along with anything like that...

The impression I got was that her partner and MiL (who had no reason to know about this before now) went absolutely nuts at her, shouting and raging, so she couldn't get a reasonable conversation out of them. She hadn't thought of the CAB, never having been there before, but just thought of me as a helpful person who's fairly savvy about this stuff.

That's what she said, anyway.

I've opened a thread on the Benefits board to see what might happen to her: http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=34763987
  • Googlewhacker
    Googlewhacker Posts: 3,887 Forumite
    Options
    No - the contract was between the LHA and her, so I left them to it.

I would have noticed those kind of payments too. But to be fair she was trying to birth her first child, which I'm sure is distracting.

Yes but not really a valid excuse......
    The Googlewhacker referance is to Dave Gorman and not to my opinion of the search engine!

If I give you advice it is only a view and always always take professional advice before acting!!!

4 people on the ignore list....Bliss!
  • Badger_Lady
    Options
  • scubaangel
    scubaangel Posts: 6,600 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options

Move the house to Surrey! :rotfl:
    It’s not worth doing something unless someone, somewhere, would much rather you weren’t doing it.
    Sir Terry Pratchett
    Find my diary here

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5135113
  • spirit
    spirit Posts: 2,886 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    and so beginnith the next chapter :T
    Mortgage free as of 10/02/2015. Every brick and blade of grass belongs to meeeee. :j
  • Brb
    Brb Posts: 472 Forumite
    Options
    wooohooo I finally got to see the ad! (when I read the whole thread some time ago the links weren't active as obviously Badger was fully stocked with lodgers!).

Am I the only one that would love to see photos of the whole house/garden ? (not from advertising room point of view just that I'm aching to see it!) :D

Good luck with everything, roll on the interviews !!! :D xxx
    Inside this body lays one of a skinny woman
    but I can usually shut her up with chocolate!

When I thank a post in a thread I've not posted in,
    it means that I agree with that post and have nothing further to add.
  • Badger_Lady
    Options
    Two PotentialLodgers lined up to view tomorrow morning...

PotentialLodger One - man who's just returned from world travelling, and is currently being assessed for a full-time job in the area.
    PotentialLodger Two - man who I know nothing about other than his name!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport