🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

dads g/f wont give us his stuff

Options

Comments

• gatita
    gatita Posts: 1,283 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Hev. I totally agree with you, and at times some people can be very nasty indeed for no good reason. I wouldn't dream of correcting someones spelling or grammar, but this particular post was totally unintelligible......having said that, LADYMORTICIA did a fantastic translation :rotfl:
    When man sacrifices the Love of POWER for the Power of Love, there will be peace on earth.
  • LadyMorticia
    LadyMorticia Posts: 19,899 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    gatita wrote: »
    Hev. I totally agree with you, and at times some people can be very nasty indeed for no good reason. I wouldn't dream of correcting someones spelling or grammar, but this particular post was totally unintelligible......having said that, LADYMORTICIA did a fantastic translation :rotfl:

:rotfl:I have had a lot of practice. I have to decipher my friends written language a lot of the time. :rotfl:
    2019 Wins
    1/25

£2019 in 2019
    £10/£2019
  • Gillianh2
    Gillianh2 Posts: 773 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    :rotfl:I have had a lot of practice. I have to decipher my friends written language a lot of the time. :rotfl:

:j :j LOL:j :j
    :j I have a persecution complex. Everytime I pass a shoe shop they persecute me till I buy them:j
  • ForDad
    ForDad Posts: 11 Forumite
    Options
    ok I try and do this right. she says the will left us thousand pounds each and there is no money in the account so we not getting it. can we make her pay it. can we go in and take the stuff we want.
  • LadyMorticia
    Options
    Gillianh2 wrote: »
    :j :j LOL:j :j

Lol. At school a few people used to write their exams in chat speak. =/

xx
    2019 Wins
    1/25

£2019 in 2019
    £10/£2019
  • LadyMorticia
    Options
    ForDad wrote: »
    ok I try and do this right. she says the will left us thousand pounds each and there is no money in the account so we not getting it. can we make her pay it. can we go in and take the stuff we want.

I think you can only have what you are given in the will. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong though, as I've never had any dealings with wills or anything.

xx
    2019 Wins
    1/25

£2019 in 2019
    £10/£2019
  • hev_2
    hev_2 Posts: 1,397 Forumite
    Options

It could cost you far more than a thousand pounds in legal fees to try and get any money.

When your Dad died there was a list of things that had to be paid first. All debts have to be paid first, so any credit card bills, loans, overdrafts that are in his name had to be paid out of any money left. Traditionally the cost of the funeral is the first paid, but I don't know how legal that is. Once that is all paid then any money left over is shared out. If your Dad died with a lot of debt and the deeds of the house actually say that his partner should have the house if he died then you will be entitled to no money at all.

To put this into perspective about how money can be eaten up, my late Mother in law's funeral was over £3,000. Any money shared out in the will had to be shared after this cost had been paid.

Proving that your Dad left enough money to allow you to get your thousand will be very expensive in legal costs.

You have mentioned a ring - was that mentioned in the will? Do you know if anyone other than your Dad's girlfriend or your sister who knew what your Dad wanted to happen with the ring? Just because you are the oldest does not mean you get special treatment unless it is in the will.

What other things are there that you want? Is it stuff like photos or ornaments that you have strong feelings about? Is there anyone who can speak to your Dad's partner on your behalf?

I'm sorry if this is not what you want to hear. Perhaps it might be better to just walk away from the situation. You may not have the material things but arguments over wills can consume people with bitterness and cause trouble within families for years.

Hope this helps.
    Always another chapter

• ForDad
    ForDad Posts: 11 Forumite
    Options
    the ring is his old wedding ring.she says dad threw it in the bin and she said it wasnt right to do that and kept it in her jewellery box. i need that money now. she wont talk to us cause my brother took a video of dad dead in hospital to show mum and dad hated mum. not that bothered about pics as wasnt close to him we dont believe she should have that house.
  • Peakma
    Peakma Posts: 728 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    the ring is his old wedding ring.she says dad threw it in the bin and she said it wasnt right to do that and kept it in her jewellery box. i need that money now. she wont talk to us cause my brother took a video of dad dead in hospital to show mum and dad hated mum. not that bothered about pics as wasnt close to him we dont believe she should have that house.
    What a disrespectful way to treat a dead man.
    I don't see why you think you "deserve" anything at all.
    If your Dad was looking down on you now,do you think he would be proud of the way you are treating the woman he loved?
    I think rather than calling yourself "for Dad" you'd be better off calling yourself sumfin like "Juz4mi."
  • LadyMorticia
    Options
    I don't mean to be rude, but why did your brother take a video of your dead father? Didn't your mum believe he had died or something?
    2019 Wins
    1/25

£2019 in 2019
    £10/£2019
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 10 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts