PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

May 2008 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• mummyleads
    mummyleads Posts: 97 Forumite
    Options

GONA HAVE A GO AT THE CHOC AND ORANGE MUFFINS TOO WAS THANKING WHAT ELSE COULD I BACH COOK FOR THE SUMMER WAS THINKING MAYBE A QUICE BUT DONT HAVE RECIPE DOES ANY ONE HAVE ONE PLEASE
    i have dislexia sorry about my spelling :eek:
  • clair2305
    clair2305 Posts: 189 Forumite
    Options
    ......just a shame I'm at work

Didn't do any baking last nite....forgot to take the recipes home with me and internet still stuffed at home.

PPM, one quick question, you say 4 tbsp of dried herbs, that's a lot and as I'm a cooking dummy, do you mean tablespoon or dessert spoon (the one we eat cereal with? Thanks

Was amazed at the money that last nite's person spent on weekly shopping :eek:

Raincheck Vouchers - so which stores are good at these? If only I'd know about these, there are plenty of times my local Mr T's put washing powder on BOGOF but then never have it on the shelf!

Whoopsies - I thought I'd try this, but after my trip last week to Asda when I was there fropm 6-8 pm and there were no whoopsies - boo hoo

I think I may have to go back to shopping in a few shops and/or weekly shopping (I try and do it monthly having a big freezer and just pick up essential fresh bits as I need them), I thought Asda was the cheapest, but rice is £1.45 in there and £1.25 in Iceland....I think I'll have to weigh up how strict I can be, as I'm sure we all know what it's like...."I'll just pop in here and get my rice and washing powder cos it's cheaper" for example, then before you know it, you've spent another £10 on things you didn't need :eek:
  • fallen_angel_shelley
    Options
    i ended up going to mr t's agian this morning, DS had his brace tightend up yesterday and can only eat soups & soft stuff for a couple of days because of the pain. i also picked up bits for making the giant jaffa cake and the bran cake, i ended up spending another £9.00:mad: the flan case i got for the jaffa cake is huge:rotfl: , so i might go and change it for 2 smaller ones.
    Back on MSE again! to take control of my finances and not let it control me. :T May grocery challenge £41.96/140
  • Girl_least_likely_to
    Options
    Morning All :wave:

Managed to have a no spend week until last night went I spent £8.50 in tesco for milk, f&v, skipping rope for DD and our treat for the month sushi.

The sushi is £2.99 a pack, I was buying 2. I was chatting to the cashier whilst she was zapping my shopping in the till and she has zapped the skipping rope through twice (i only had 1) but not the sushi at all :D:D:D So I only paid £1 for our £5.98 treat :rotfl: .

I did think the total would have come in a bit more but didn't realise until I was checking the receipt on my way out, very quickly out of the store :whistle:

We're on holiday next week so next spend will be my tesco delivery at the cottage in wales and hopefully won't be spending too much else. I have ordered all things for breakfasts, packed lunches and 3 evening meals (the other evening meals will be out of holiday spends).

I won't be surprised if I go over budget this month wil going away but will try (but not too hard :D:p )
  • nessquic80
    nessquic80 Posts: 328 Forumite
    Options
    ohhhh turbo, the muffins are in oven cooking and the smell great, ds who is helped so i dont think theyre gonna get a chance to cool.......but that would mean making more..so be it. the house smell like a terrys orange!!:D

update:muffins out of oven look and taste lovely but ds3 think they are orrid...gonna have to take them work now cus he wont eat them!!!
    always on the lookout for a bargin always better when its free!!:T

• victory
    victory Posts: 16,188 Forumite
    Options
    Morning all:D daft question coming your way.....I froze the 1/2 price bernard mathews turkey slices for sandwiches as was said on here but I froze the whole packet and now only need 2 slices but cannot seperate them(yes I have tried, did not want to get the whole pack out:rotfl: ) been defeated and the pack is sitting in the sun now defrosting, next time what do I do? Do I use greaseproof paper per slice? Help me please:D

£260 a week on shopping:eek: she was on the premium brands though, she never even looked for BOGOF, I live off them:D
    misspiggy wrote: »
    I'm sure you're an angel in disguise Victory :)
  • MRSMCAWBER
    MRSMCAWBER Posts: 5,442 Forumite
    Options
    Morning all

well i joined the "spend nothing for a week thread" and just fell off in spectacular fashion :p ..
    had some family news that made me take stock... and as you know im in the midst of losing weight.. and even though we eat a lot of fresh fruit n veg (well i eat the fruit -hubby doesn't) and eat a good diet..i had been cutting back on the amount of fruit i was buying..being tight fisted really :rolleyes: ..well yesterday i realised that im cutting back through choice fortunately and restricting my fruit isn't a good idea -even though i can eat more than the average chimp :rotfl: i have decided not to reduce the amount of fruit i buy.... our health is more important so i have just nipped to ALDI for a "top up of fruit n veg" ...got :-
    1. 2 x 500g grapes (lets see how long they last ;) )
    2. 7 kiwis
    3. raddishes
    4. cherry tomatoes
    5. 1 kilo rhubarb :j
    6. 2 big bunches sping onions
    7. 2 cumbers
    8. 4 avocados nomnomnom -just have to wait for them to ripen :mad:
    9. apples
    10. big jar cherries
    11. big tub apfelmus
    12. 2 tins sweetcorn
    13. 2 tins of tuna -in water -normally have oil -but i will get used to it (will add balsamic to help;) )
    14. 2 tubs cottage cheese
    15. carton milk -forgot to take some out of the freezer :mad:
    16. cream cheese with herbs
    17. tub of quark - for the jackets
    18. bag of walnuts
    19. bag of almonds
    not bad to say that was only a "top up" :o still have loads of salad stuff in... but i thought i would start as i mean to go on ;) wasn't too painful on the price..€16.72...

just need to get hubby to drive me to LIDL later for a few more bits :D I couldn't carry any more :p and then the juicer is coming back out to play..he can stand where the SC lives..i can send him into the basement until autumn now :D

right -sorry for the waffle..will get off and add to my total :D

Victory.. i just pop a couple of slices into small food bags for freezing
    -6 -8 -3 -1.5 -2.5 -3 -1.5-3.5
  • Tibbie's_mum
    Tibbie's_mum Posts: 998 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Just updated signature......not doing too bad, apart from OH's illegal expenditure when out with our 4 year old, but they were only trying to help.

My £85.60 does include a pair of trainers from Tesco (I know I should be buying Clarks for my little one, but this was an emergency) and a super king size duvet from Sainsburys, although not groceries the money has to come from somewhere and the GC budget money is all I've got.

My total would have been £10 more but was able to cash in some Nectar points.

Must keep up my storecupboard/freezer meals for as long as possible.
  • lil_me
    lil_me Posts: 13,186 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Just been updating my signature, not doing too badly so far, I'm about 1/3 in and spent about 1/3 so that's ok ish. Sure some are trying to stop me in my tracks as for the first time this week I have found the freezer door open! Luckily only the stuff at the front been defrosted and mainly reduced bread etc. This week there has been a few 'extras' aswell with lollies etc for the boys.

Hope you are all doing well.
    One day I might be more organised...........:confused:
    GC: £200
    Slinkies target 2018 - another 70lb off (half way to what the NHS says) so far 25lb
  • Nessa56
    Nessa56 Posts: 946 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    victory wrote: »
    Morning all:D daft question coming your way.....I froze the 1/2 price bernard mathews turkey slices for sandwiches as was said on here but I froze the whole packet and now only need 2 slices but cannot seperate them(yes I have tried, did not want to get the whole pack out:rotfl: ) been defeated and the pack is sitting in the sun now defrosting, next time what do I do? Do I use greaseproof paper per slice? Help me please:D

£260 a week on shopping:eek: she was on the premium brands though, she never even looked for BOGOF, I live off them:D

Greaseproof paper or even just cling film between slices and then freeze whole works a treat for me.

v
    x
    SEALED POT CHALLENGE 6 - MEMBER NUMBER 086 Special Star from Sue :staradmin :T:T
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure