Replies

• chocolateteddychocolateteddy Forumite
    504 posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    turbo5019 wrote: »
    Here you go
    Chocolate orange muffins

60g plain chocolate chips ( I used value milk choc chopped)

I originally cooked these (annabel Karmel) and gave turbo5019 the recipe!! and as I had no choc chips in I added grated chocolate(cooking sort that I needed to use up!) and my girls loved it, they are not keen on choc chips. I cooked a batch of 12 today and only have 3 left!!!!!!!
    Thanks to MSE savings we got to go to Disneyworld Florida.

• saver8484saver8484 Forumite
    7 posts
    Add me about £280 in supermarket shopping more including takeaways. Maybe £100 more.

3 people eating at home most days.

Want to get it down.

Any tips? Have seen the Jamie Oliver adverts and the indian food on Martins show tonight and have been inspired.:D
  • I have updated my siggy as I have spent in Aldi and Sanisbury's, tesco express and morrisons. I need to get better at judging how much milk we will need. I seem to be popping out for milk almost everyday. I also had to pop out for bread flour and rice and crisps, so I totally underestimated how much we use of lots of things. Still this is my learning month.

Gilly
    I always keep some dried milk and some longlife for just this sort of dilemma. Its the "popping out for a bottle of milk" that has been my downfall in the past. If you really cannot tolerate the above-freeze a bottle or two for such occasions. I always remove a little before I freeze it so that the bottle doesnt burst as when frozen it expands.
    Annual Grocery budget 2018 is £1500 pa £125 calendar month £28.84 pw for 3 adults
  • chardonnay_2chardonnay_2 Forumite
    2.2K posts
    Well I decided I would get one whole portion(£1) and 2 half portions(60p each)

just a suggestion but why didn't you just buy 2 whole portions at 2 quid and then half the second portion when you came home? it would have saved you 20p
    :love: married to the man of my dreams! 9-08-09:love:
    2.2K posts
    angchris wrote: »

STOVIES
    2lb potatoes
    1 lb onions
    1lb of sausages (can also use leftover meat or a tin of corned beef)
    mixed herbs
    2 stock cubes
    salt/pepper

peel and slice pots and put a layer in a baking dish followed by a layer of sliced onions followed by a layer of diced bangers and season with herbs/salt and pepper.
    keep making layers until you run out of ingredients but make the final layer potatoes, then give a final sprinkling of herbs and to finish pour over a pint of stock made with the 2 stock cubes (i used beef cubes but i dont suppose it would matter if you used chicken or veg)
    dot the top with butter if you fancy then stick in a medium oven for 40/45 mins or till everything looks like it has cooked and serve with veg or beans etc...

hi, i really like stovies - we nickname it baby food as it tends to go quite mushy with lumps of totties. you can also make stovies in a pot on the stove ( hence it's name). it's a great way to use up leftovers and is a really popular east of scotland dish.

we normally cook the sausage and fry the onions a bit then put in pan of boiled totties ( most of the liquid is boiled off and totties are half cubes and half mush) then continue to cook. more commanly, people just put all the raw ingredients in the one pan & cook. we have also used mince and it was yum!
  • Chardonnay wrote: »
    just a suggestion but why didn't you just buy 2 whole portions at 2 quid and then half the second portion when you came home? it would have saved you 20p
    Ah I wondered when someone would ask! The half portions are rather generous-and better value. They are more like 3/4 portions!
    Sometimes you can barely tell them from full portions.
    Annual Grocery budget 2018 is £1500 pa £125 calendar month £28.84 pw for 3 adults
    2.2K posts
    hi, i thought this would be the case:D
  • scotsaverscotsaver Forumite
    824 posts
    Morning everyone - looks like it's going to be another hot day today.:j

Thanks pennypinchingmum - made the Herb Bread recipe last night into muffins and we love them. The kids have got them in their lunchboxes, put some in the freezer and got a few left so thanks for that.;)

Watched Martin's programme last night, can't believe how much that Lady was spending on her weekly shopping,:eek: we don't even spend that in a month and there are 2 Adults and DD1 is 12 and DD2 is nearly 10 so eating as much as we are some days. Sitting here watching GMTV and they have just said that the average Family throws away £50 a Month in food:eek: Thankfully not in this house.;)

Shall be popping out to Asda later as need Salad for Dinner tonight to go with HM Burgers and HM chips (with skins left on). Must go to Sainsbury's also as Fruit Shoots BOGOF and I use those in the kids Lunchboxes, use a new one on a Monday and then top it up each day with Squash, very MSE:cool: and found that they never leak like other bottles seem to. This saves me loads and they are an ideal size to fit in their Lunchbox.

Have a good day everyone.:D
    "WASTE NOT, WANT NOT!"
    GC for OH, myself, DD18 & DD16 includes Toiletries, cleaning stuff & Food.

• superspamsuperspam Forumite
    153 posts
    Morning! Another lovely sunny day :cool:

I forgot to add last night, my veggie box arrived which means another £10 needs to go on my total - I'll go and do that now!
  • superspamsuperspam Forumite
    153 posts
    Thought I would share this with you all. Next weekend I am cooking a meal for my Dad and his wife and wanted to do a lovely indian meal as I know how much they would like it. Cue this months Good Food Magazine with a gorgeous summery indian menu! I listed all the spices I would need and realised it would cost me a fortune to buy them when I only needed a tsp or less of each (plus I don't eat indian food often at all!) So my little brain got ticking and I asked the good people on my local freecycle if anyone would mind sparing me a tsp of a few spices and hey presto - I got my whole shopping list of spices plus some advice on where to buy cheap chillis!:T Now I am feeling very pleased with myself and my faith in human kindness has been confirmed :A