• shaz_mum_of__2shaz_mum_of__2 Forumite
    2K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Shaz

I use this recipe for breakfast baps;

1LB Strong plain white flour
    2 level tsp salt
    2oz veg fat (I use melted marg)
    1/2 oz yeast (use 1 packet - should really check how much is in a packet)
    1 tsp caster suga (used gran as didnt have caster)
    1/4 pint milk (used semi skimmed but have got powered)
    1/4 pint tepid water

I mix it in the BM and let it rise.then shape the dough, leave it to rise and cook.
    The insides are cooked right but they just don't seem light enough, I cover them with a tea towel but I would really love to make soft soft rolls.

If I don't cover them they are rock hard on the outside.

Thanks for any advice.:eek:

I'm just a snob with bread as I do like shop bread (Kingsmill). I like bloomers and and soft rolls but I would also like to make my own near enough to the bloomer taste and texture anyway.

I would include a second rise ie make dough in bm then knead and put in a bowl and leave to rise in a warm place or overnight in the fridge (either way cover with a damp cloth , i use a cloth napkin)

then shape and bake in a preheated hot oven if you want soft tops brush with milk before baking i have found that my rolls "spread" on a flat baking sheet so now do them in a raised edge roasting type dish(they will all touch and join together a bit

My basic white recipe is

210ml water
    375g white bread flour
    1.5tsp salt
    1.5tsp sugar
    25g marg
    1 sachet yeast(6g)
    2tblsp milk powder(i think its skimmed)

i use for rolls,bm baked bread and also for dough made in bm then baked in the oven

Hope this helps

Shaz

Edited in later: i allow to cool the pop in a ziploc plastic bag to keep soft as i don't like crusty bread the plastic bag keeps moisture in but must be cold when you put it in or becomes soggy
    Shaz
  • wornoutmumoftwowornoutmumoftwo Forumite
    1.3K Posts
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks Shaz

I'm going to go and try again now (been trying on and off since February)

It's becoming an obsession! :eek:
    Payment a day challenge: £236.69
    Jan Shopping Challenge: £202.09/£250
    Frugal Living Challenge: £534.64/15000
  • shaz_mum_of__2shaz_mum_of__2 Forumite
    2K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    I know that feeling

my husband says i have bread issues LOL

most of my experiments went down well if not alwas pretty ,especially the bm baked loaves mines a m richards and toes tall thin loaves but we cut them across rather than down for slices which just fit the toaster

HTH

Shazx
    Shaz
  • PablosmummyPablosmummy Forumite
    378 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts
    ✭✭
    Hi...forgot who asked for it now (sorry) Beery bacon pie. We used to have it when I was little, my sister found the recipe that we used so here it is.

Beery Bacon pie.
    serves 4

2 onions sliced
    1 garlic clove crushed
    6-8 rashers bacon chopped
    2tbsp flour
    175g mushrooms
    1tbsp tomato puree
    1/4 pint brown ale
    1/2 pint veg stock
    whatever pastry you use (I buy readymade so its up to you here)

1. Fry mushrooms, bacon, onion and garlic for a few minutes until onion is tender.

2. Stir in Tomato puree, veg stock and ale

3. Reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes.

4. Roll out pastry and place in pie dish, put filling in, put pastry lid on and brush with egg (optional) and bake for 30-40 minutes on 200 C

Actually, for anyone here who is good at cooking, do you think it would be ok if I replace the mushrooms for carrots? my bf wont eat mushrooms and I've got loads of carrots in lol. I'd probably cook them first though... any suggestions?
    May Grocery Challenge -£216/400
  • SunnydaySunnyday Forumite
    3.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    bails wrote: »
    Hi all
    Does anyone know if you can still get Dove's brown bread flour for 55p in Asda please? Can't seem to get it online and wondered if offer was still on before I do a long journey to nearest Asda. Many thanks, off to catch up x

Hi bails, yes it`s still 55p for the doves organic wholemeal and the asda own brand white bread flour is now 48p again.
    The smart price self raising is also cheaper than anywhere else i`ve found lately at 36p (guess where i`ve just been :o )
    SD
    Planning on starting the GC again soon :p
  • SunnydaySunnyday Forumite
    3.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hi again everyone,
    i went to Asda this morning, not something i wanted to do but i needed some cat food and rather than walk to the local shop for a tin and still needing some later i went to the supermarket.
    Spent £24.91 on 2x24 whiskas pouches at £4 each and 12 x 2 tins od chum for £4 each the chum was the meaty loaf as the tins are 400g the houndies like the chunks in jelly but the tins were the same price only smaller (375g if i remember rightly) so more for your money with the loaf type.
    I bought flour which i didn`t need but adding to the stocks in case of more price hikes sp tuna chunks at 29p and sp baked beans at 20p per tin so all money well spent i should just need fresh veg and milk this weekend so i`m quite chuffed with the spend as i have the animals sorted hopefully for a while now.
    Feeling much better today i`ve got my energy back and i`m fine if i don`t talk:rotfl: not that there`s anyone here to talk to lol, so hopefully i`ll be back to work tomorrow even skinter than before after being off ill for 3 days:mad: .
    Hope you all have good spends today, catch up with you all later.
    SD
    Planning on starting the GC again soon :p
  • shelley1977shelley1977 Forumite
    119 Posts
    i just got my big shop from asda,it came to £120.56 and covers almost all the basics apart from fruit ,veg and extra milk that ill need.i did buy some extra marg while it was cheap aswell as some extra rice and pasta.
    Adopt don't buy
    Rabbit rehome
    Give a bunny a forever home
  • MRSMCAWBERMRSMCAWBER Forumite
    5.4K Posts
    Afternoon all :D

Nipped out earlier to get some compost (seperate budget)... but didn't spend any of the grocery budget :D

Curly cabbage... i will keep an eye on you -if you keep an eye on me :p im not supposed to be buying anything but milk, fruit, veg or yogurts for the whole month:naughty: ...Like you I have meal planned and have plenty of stuff in the freezers... although it is painful walking past those whoops stickers, knowing that i really really can't get another pea in my freezer yet :whistle: .... so please feel free to yell at me if i buy anything else :D

well i thought i had better post the recipe for the date and pineapple bars i have just made... just in case they are of interest to anyone ;) .. have "quality tested one" and they are rather nice... and filling..... without too much added fat or sugar:T and for anyone interested i have worked out the approx cals in them and they are 140cals per piece :j which i think is quite good... i love it when i find something "substantial" to fit in with my weight loss plans -lost another 3.5lb this week so don't want to mess it up..another 8.5lbs and i will have lost 1/3 of my body weight :D .. So im hoping hubby likes them as i will never get through 30 :eek: mind he can always take some into work for the lads ....you will have to remember to alter according to what fat you use ;)

DATE N PINEAPPLE BARS
    Makes 30
    pre-heat oven to 190
    line a 10" x 12" baking tin -mine ended up in an 9"X11" :p
    1. 200g chopped dates
    2. 450g pineapple pieces (in juice)
    3. 250g SR flour -sifted
    4. 100g wholewheat flour - sifted -i just used extra SR flour
    5. 250g rolled oats - i used oats with nuts n sultanas added
    6. 75g brown sugar -i used soft dark brown
    7. 90g shredded coconut
    8. 60g butter -melted - i used some soya spread i had in (saving butter for my toast :D )
    9. 2 medium eggs
    • Place dates and pineapple and juice in a pan and bring to the boil over a medium heat
    • drain of 150g juice - i struggled to get 150g
    • add all other ingredients and mix well -adding some of the juice of to stiff -i ended up putting all the juice back in :rotfl:
    • transfer to tin and bake for about 20mins or until golden
    • cool and cut...
    Hope that someone can make use of that ;) ...

Have a loaf of bread rising and dinner tonight is tortillas -so i need to make those later..but i think im going to sit and have a flick through my recipes first...

have a great afternoon all
    -6 -8 -3 -1.5 -2.5 -3 -1.5-3.5
  • SAVVYMUMMY_2SAVVYMUMMY_2 Forumite
    362 Posts
    Could you tell me how you make HM naan bread please?

Hi Sharon, this receipe, cheekylittlemonkey posted(many thanks)
    225g plain flour
    1/2 Tsp salt
    15g Fresh Yeast(I used a sachet of dry yeast)
    4 Tbsp lukewarm milk
    1 Tbsp veg oil
    2 Tbsp plain yog
    1 Egg
    2-3 Tbsp melted ghee or butter for brushing(I didn`t bother with this)

Sift flour, salt and place in large bowl.
    Cream yeast and milk in a smaller bowl and set aside for 15 mins.
    Mix the yeast mixture, oil, yog and egg into flour.
    Mix to a soft dough and turn onto floured surface.
    knead for 10mins.
    place into lightly oiled bowl and cover with lightly oiled clingfilm.
    Leave to rise in a warm place until doubled in size.
    Heat oven gas mark 8/230oc place 3 heavy baking sheets in oven for 10mins.
    Turn out dough, divide into 3 and roll into teardrop shape(about 5-8mm thick)
    Preheat grill to highest setting.
    Take out baking sheets from oven and place naan on them, bake for 3-4 mins or until puffed up.
    Remove and place under hot grill for a few seconds, until top of naan browns slightly.
    Wrap in kitchen towl to keep warm.
    When ready to serve, brush with melted ghee/butter and serve warm.

I used my kenwood to mix this and the dough was very sticky. I did add more flour, but found the dough still sticky, so decided to put into the oiled bowl to see how it turned out. This was fine(just make sure you have flour for your work surface).

I will add different flavours next time as I like to have flavoured naan.

HTH.
    Grocery Challenge 2013: July week 1 £90/£87.41 :D
    week 2 £90.00/£118.38:eek: week 3 £90/£60.54:jweek4 £90/£79.90 week5 £45/£00
    End of mortgage april 2030
    Mortgage overpayment from june 2013 aiming for £400 a month: £451
    Emergency fund 2013 from june £70
  • hollyhhollyh Forumite
    5.5K Posts
    Hi

I haven't spent anything out of my budget yet.:j I'm hoping i won't need to until at least Tuesday. Although the rest of the family may not agree;) .

I think i am running low on bread.I'll have to check the big freezer because Ds1 helped put the shopping away and he may have put it in the wrong one.:rolleyes:

Actually its tough they will have to eat HM bread if we've run out. It's only me, OH and Ds2 who will eat it. If thats all we've got they will have to eat it or go without:D . Am i evil?
This discussion has been closed.
Latest News and Guides

£10-£50 London theatre tickets

For over 45 shows in January and February

MSE Deal

Join the 1p Savings Challenge 2022!

It should help you save £667.95

MSE Forum