May 2008 Grocery Challenge

in Old Style MoneySaving
2.5K replies 130.4K views

Replies

• bailsbails Forumite
    3.2K Posts
    Ha ha, I love it, being able to keep a virtual eye on your DD's budget! Good luck Gilliana.
    The 1,000 Day Challenge:
    Feb 16, 2016
    500/30,000
    1.67%
  • spendaholicspendaholic Forumite
    1.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭
    Okay, I am desperate to get my shopping bill down to just £30 per week as there is only me and 2 cats. As there are 4 shopping weekends between now and payday, that's £120 this month. [gulp]
    spendy/she/her
    Highest debt: £35k (2005); Current debt: < £2k (2021)
    MY WINS
    £3,541 CASH; £50 to spend on chocolate; Harlem Globetrotters tickets; Jesus Christ Superstar tickets + 2 t-shirts; Guardians of the Galaxy goody bag; Birmingham City v Barnsley FC tickets; Marillion tickets; Dancing on Ice tickets; Barnsley FC v Millwall tickets
  • brummiebabebrummiebabe Forumite
    1.9K Posts
    Hi - haven't been around here for a couple of months, but with ever increasing prices, I think I need to get back on track!!!

Please put me down for £400. I know it probably seems a huge amount to a lot of you on here :o , but it's for 2 adults & 3 children (including 1 in nappies) includes all packed lunches (for 5 of us) and contact lens solutions for me.
    20p Saver Club #33 60p/£100
    Christmas Saving £0/£1300

Saving Target 2014 £25/£1000
  • Kaz2904Kaz2904 Forumite
    5.8K Posts
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    How lovely to have all these family members joining up!
    Couldn't be faffed to make shepherds pie tonight so just made another spag bol.
    The oats are lovely in it- I've found that they make it really creamy- anyone else think so?
    I'm also using more by weight than I am mince!
    Debt: 16/04/2007:TOTAL DEBT [strike]£92727.75[/strike] £49395.47:eek: :eek: :eek: £43332.28 repaid 100.77% of £43000 target.
    MFiT T2: Debt [STRIKE]£52856.59[/STRIKE] £6316.14 £46540.45 repaid 101.17% of £46000 target.
    2013 Target: completely clear my [STRIKE]£6316.14[/STRIKE] £0 mortgage debt. £6316.14 100% repaid.
  • bailsbails Forumite
    3.2K Posts
    Does anyone know if bulking out veggie stuff like dahl with oats would work too?
    The 1,000 Day Challenge:
    Feb 16, 2016
    500/30,000
    1.67%
  • In_Search_Of_MeIn_Search_Of_Me Forumite
    10.6K Posts
    ok just caught up...cant remember all names so forgive me! just made weezles chicken liver pate which is yummy & Mr T have special 2 for 1.50 on chicken livers if anyone is interested. Recipe is on the USDA thread...
    Re the cats & buying hills have you ooked at any of the online places & investigated going via quidco plus I discovered (from the pet thread here!!) that my cats LOVE burns pet food. see here;
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=488485
    They'll send you a freebie sample to try and the quality of their coats is much improved but they still get tuna & tinned (from lidl!) for a treat! Poorly puss cats is awful - emotionally & financially...hugs on that! Off to watch come dine with me & get some inspiration!
    Nerd no 109 Long haulers supporters DFW #1! Even in the darkest moments, love and hope are always possible.

• Fi27Fi27 Forumite
    155 Posts
    The french bread was dough made in a breadmaker on dough only cycle then knocked back and risen twice more (the last rise was in the fridge overnight)

then the dough was halved and shaped and scored then put in a special mould/tin to rise then baked,the tin keeps the stick shape it cost £6 from a posh kitchen shop but you can get them on amazon

French bread recipe

315ml water
    450g bread flour
    1.5tsp salt
    1 sachet easy blend yeast

as theres no fat in it it doesn't keep very long although i must admit thats never a prob in this house....!!!

Shaz

Thanks Shaz i'm very impressed :T I might muster up the confidence to attempt to make some as they look great. I have a bread maker, up in the loft :o Brand new, never been used, still in the box, only 5 years old :o
    MIL bought it for me for xmas 5 years ago. At the time i resented gifts with plugs on them! Not any more, my mum got me a flashy kettle and toaster last year and i love 'em :D

OH will be diggin the BM out over the weekend for me :D

Fi x
    May GC Budget £200 spent
    Apr GC Budget £225 spent £258.32 Mar GC Budget £200 Spent £206.31
    Feb GC Budget £175 spent £210.23 Jan GC Budget £200 Spent £178.91
    For 2 adults :heartsmil
  • funkyfunkymonkeyfunkyfunkymonkey Forumite
    2.7K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    I've just got a couple of packs of frozen chicken livers from Tescos to try out Weezl's pate recipe. They were 40p each.

FFM :)
    AMAZON SELLERS CLUB member 0077 come and join us :hello: make some space and get hold of some cash, we're on the ebay and other auctions, car boot and jumble sales board.
  • Fi27Fi27 Forumite
    155 Posts
    yoooh4 wrote: »
    i am really new so please excuse but how do i keep a total at botttom of my post like all you lot????

Hiya yoooh4

Go into quick links along the user bar bit and click on edit signature. Then type up whatever you want in your signature :D

HTH

Fi x
    May GC Budget £200 spent
    Apr GC Budget £225 spent £258.32 Mar GC Budget £200 Spent £206.31
    Feb GC Budget £175 spent £210.23 Jan GC Budget £200 Spent £178.91
    For 2 adults :heartsmil
  • pennypinchingmumpennypinchingmum Forumite
    218 Posts
    ✭✭
    HI, first time in the grocery challenge, ahh scary! O.K so our usual budget is
    £200 so can i be put down for £200. Thats for 2 adults (one with a huge appetite) and 3 children as well as various guests we seem to have over the month. It doesnt help that my little boy has school dinners which works out at £8 a week. I know thats a luxury but i think it's important to support school dinners or else they'll never get any better. I find that it's one thing to keep to a budget it's quite another to keep to you budget and your ethics!
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides