Bees/Wasps how to get rid! (merged threads)

Options

Comments

• retrocircles
    Options
    ixwood wrote: »
    :(

Save our Bees!

Completely agree.

But would you like to come round & humanely remove them from under my flooring so I'm not swarmed everytime I go into my conservatory? Oh & I can't let my cats in there because they'll chase them, then inevitably get stung...
    Debt @ LBM 29/12/08 - £49044! Now £44684.
    Fat loss 29/85lbs // £100 into £10k £243.07/£10k
    HSBC Loan 9658 // HSBC CC 3484 // HSBC CC 1464 // DP's 779 // Car 0% 4851 // Halifax OD 1348 // HSBC OD 1.5k // HSBC OD 1k // Barclays OD 400 // IOMOM 4400 // S Loan 15k // Cap1 £800
  • AdrianW2
    AdrianW2 Posts: 416 Forumite
    Options
    Do they live in the same place for winter? Because there's a chance we might knock down the conservatory in the new year to replace it!!! Don't want to get them angry by demolishing their home. Eeeek.

Bumble bee and wasp colonies die off in the autumn, only the queen hibernates.
  • AdrianW2
    Options
    Completely agree.

But would you like to come round & humanely remove them from under my flooring so I'm not swarmed everytime I go into my conservatory? Oh & I can't let my cats in there because they'll chase them, then inevitably get stung...

Your original post said they're going in and out from the outside, so in theory all you need to do is find out where they're coming in through the floor and block off the hole.

Don't block off the external hole you can't find, 'cos that would just result in the whole nest using the hole through your floor (and probably starving to death too).
  • niknaknub
    Options
    I also have a bees nest under my decking and yesterday I squirted ant powder (that I bought from Asda for £1) around the area that they were going in and I went off to work. I've not seen another bee so fingers crossed I've sorted my problem out. Give it a go!!
    marleyboy wrote: »
    I have a Bee's nest underneath our decking, although I have no issue with Bee's as they help with the flowers in the garden, its unnerving to hear the constant hum under the decking and the occasional guest freaking out if we dare to BBQ or drink in the Garden.

Without actually wanting to tear apart the decking, is there anyway I can encourage them to leave the nest?
  • AdrianW2
    Options
    niknaknub wrote: »
    I also have a bees nest under my decking and yesterday I squirted ant powder (that I bought from Asda for £1) around the area that they were going in and I went off to work. I've not seen another bee so fingers crossed I've sorted my problem out. Give it a go!!

Oh dear. Well if you get deluged with wasps robbing the nest it'll be poetic justice.
  • WobblyGoblin
    Options
    Firstly, can I say I have nothing against bees.

However, the neighbours pointed out that we had a wasps nest in our roof a couple of days ago. Hundreds of the b**gers flying in and out of the eaves. I was tempted to leave them be as we're off on holiday soon and I understand they leave in autumn and don't come back. However, after a quick chat with the neighbours decided something must be done (they have a small child and were a bit worried).

I bought a can of the wasp nest foam and it has worked a treat. It was half price in homebase so only a few quid. Had to clear some space in the loft to get a clear shot and got dressed up in balaclava, ski goggles, gloves, etc. The foam lets you spray accurately from a long distance. It covered the nest very quickly. You are supposed to spray into the entrance so after covering the nest I also leaned out the window and sprayed it into the hole in the eaves where they were getting in and out. We have seen a few stragglers about but it has basically dealt with the problem.

The foam kills them very quickly so it is reasonably humane, I suppose.

If anyone has a similar problem I would recomend the foam. Difficult to use outdoors in windy conditions though. Don't use it on bees though!
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,995 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    We have a wasps nest in the first floor eaves round the side of the house. As there is no access round that side, I decided to be kind to the wasps and leave them be.

Monday afternoon, one wasp came into the house, one wasp sting.....
    Thursday, one inflammation on my leg the size of my hand, one doctors visit and 7 days antibiotics.

I've been stung in the past and never had this sort of reaction.

So my "be kind to wildlife" days are finished.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • AdrianW2
    Options
    I must admit we had a wasp nest in the cavity wall this year. I noticed the initial signs but decided to leave them be, since they weren't really in the way and would help in the garden.

Unfortunately by last week they were becoming a problem and had to go.

Don't hold it against all wildlife though, I'm still rooting for the bumble bees living under the shed.
  • lisawood78
    lisawood78 Posts: 3,884 Forumite
    Options
    We have a what appears to be very large wasps nest in the eaves above my bedroom window. Its first floor, and impossible to get to unless you had a long ladder (I wouldn't imagine avoiding a swarm of angry wasps on a ladder is a good idea) My council won't touch it as it is 'inaccessible' and there is no visibility to it in the loft.
    I really don't know what to do about it, but I can't have any of the windows on the front of the house open.
    Are there any extremely long distance sprays or anything on the market that anyone knows about?
    2 angels in heaven :A
  • AdrianW2
    Options
    The professionals use a lance which is long enough to reach up to the eaves (provided the hole can be reached with a pole from the ground). I don't know of anyone selling them to the general public.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure