Bees/Wasps how to get rid! (merged threads)

Options
1192021222325»

Comments

• muckybutt
    muckybutt Posts: 3,761 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Not a lot you can do up a chimney tbh.

It might be that the mid feathers have perished in the chimney - these are the bricks between the chimney's, so even though you may have a blocked up chimney smoke from the kitchen could still get it there.

As you can imagine wasps are small critters that don't need muck space to crawl through so there may well be small cracks / holes under your floor boards etc and they are finding their way in that way.

Another possibility is they may be getting in through the air bricks / vents if you have them.

When did you last get your chimney swept ?
    You may click thanks if you found my advice useful
  • Furts
    Furts Posts: 4,474 Forumite
    Options
    Hi clairus

There was a wasp nest in the porch above our front door. I had seen the wasps coming and going and managed to seal off the nest when they were not too active. This was spring time.

The dead nest was no problem until the heating went on in October/ November. The heat permeated the walls into the porch and seamed to activate the queens. These were finding routes into the living room and appearing at random times. They were large, fast moving and seemed very agitated. Almost impossible to kill them - they moved so fast and erratically. I had to open the windows and wait for them to fly out.

I found out the wasps die at the end of the season but the queens do not. They leave the nest to find somewhere to hibernate ready for a new life the next breading season.

Our heat had probably awakened them and thet went searching for the heat source. After, perhaps ten wasps, over a number of weeks, the problem did not occcur again. I guess all the queens had gone.

Hopefully your problem is the queens and no more will appear. The ordinary wasps should be dead at present - unless the mild winter has upset them their life cycle.

The council refused to help saying wasps were"not active after September" - when clearly they can be!
  • joe134
    joe134 Posts: 3,336 Forumite
    edited 9 February 2014 at 3:48PM
    Options
    Furts wrote: »
    Hi clairus

There was a wasp nest in the porch above our front door. I had seen the wasps coming and going and managed to seal off the nest when they were not too active. This was spring time.

The dead nest was no problem until the heating went on in October/ November. The heat permeated the walls into the porch and seamed to activate the queens. These were finding routes into the living room and appearing at random times. They were large, fast moving and seemed very agitated. Almost impossible to kill them - they moved so fast and erratically. I had to open the windows and wait for them to fly out.

I found out the wasps die at the end of the season but the queens do not. They leave the nest to find somewhere to hibernate ready for a new life the next breading season.

Our heat had probably awakened them and thet went searching for the heat source. After, perhaps ten wasps, over a number of weeks, the problem did not occcur again. I guess all the queens had gone.

Hopefully your problem is the queens and no more will appear. The ordinary wasps should be dead at present - unless the mild winter has upset them their life cycle.

The council refused to help saying wasps were"not active after September" - when clearly they can be!
    Hi, I get them every year, they always return, but, don't use the same nest.I always look for signs of them during June, and if they are entering property, use Ant powder, at the entry point, they give up, and move on.Council charge, not classed as a pest.£70+
    I.ve paid before, to have a few removed, private @ £35 a nest, until I used Ant powder.Providing you can get to entry hole.
    I think I have a nest in my chimney,a few fell onto hearth, but don't use gas fire I've been up,.cannot see it from on the roof, but, they could be way down. Monoxide is the threat, if not sure, sweep it;or, do a smoke test in fire,using smoke matches, see if chimneys clear.
  • cyclonebri1
    cyclonebri1 Posts: 12,827 Forumite
    Options
    Strange time of year to have wasp issues? But, did you say you had wasp problems in other rooms? Maybe that's where you should look.
    Any issue has to come from rooms that are artificially heated (from the wasps point of view)
    I like the thanks button, but ,please, an I agree button.

Will the grammar and spelling police respect I do make grammatical errors, and have carp spelling, no need to remind me.;)

Always expect the unexpected:eek:and then you won't be dissapointed
  • tiger_eyes
    tiger_eyes Posts: 1,006 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Furts wrote: »

I was told by pest control not to seal up external entrances to a nest - they said that if wasps can't exit to the outside, they will exit into your house!
  • Furts
    Furts Posts: 4,474 Forumite
    Options
    tiger_eyes wrote: »
    I was told by pest control not to seal up external entrances to a nest - they said that if wasps can't exit to the outside, they will exit into your house!

This does sound logical but in my case it never happened.

My reasoning was the wasps are bringing food and aiming to increase the nest size. So by blocking up the entrance it might cause them to starve to death.

I opened up most of the cavity walls the following year to do extensions and alterations. I did not find any dead wasps - perhaps they were starved and resorted to eating each other ?
  • cyclonebri1
    cyclonebri1 Posts: 12,827 Forumite
    Options
    Just woken up and have to ask????

!!!!!! are we replying to a post from 2005:eek::eek::eek::eek:
    I like the thanks button, but ,please, an I agree button.

Will the grammar and spelling police respect I do make grammatical errors, and have carp spelling, no need to remind me.;)

Always expect the unexpected:eek:and then you won't be dissapointed
  • clairus
    clairus Posts: 127 Forumite
    Options
    Thank you all for your help, have spent the day pretending to be a wasp and checking for holes near the closed up fire places.
    Just woken up and have to ask????

!!!!!! are we replying to a post from 2005:eek::eek::eek::eek:

I think most of the answers were from before the threads got merged...I wouldn't deliberately post to such an old thread!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure