Bees/Wasps how to get rid! (merged threads)

Options

Comments

• Biggles
    Biggles Posts: 8,209 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    mart.vader wrote: »
    Try "Waspinator " ?
    Wow, £12.95 for something that is apparently completely inert but just looks (a bit) like a wasp nest.

Not much use to the OP, who already has a wasp nest, which she can leave up and get the same effect for free!
  • evoke
    evoke Posts: 1,286 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Dimey wrote: »
    If its not in the way of anyone, why not let the little critters be.

They'll do their own thing up there and be gone by winter. They're not messy. The nest is a fascinating work of art. You can then mend the holes in your roof space where they are getting in if you don't want them in there next year.

I usually have at least one bee and/or wasp nest in my eaves each year and there's an old tree in the garden with a hole in it where they nest. I leave them to it and they are never a problem. Some days I'll sit and watch them going in and out of the tree nest while I'm reading a good book.

I also have bats in my loft. Now those fella's are messy.

This is exactly what I plan on doing. In the mornings and during the day I can see the wasps going in and out of the nest under my eaves from the my bedroom window.

Initially I was alarmed and wanted to kill them! However, even with my bedroom windows fully open, none of the wasps try entering my bedroom. Some of them get close to my windows and then fly higher to locate the entry point to their nest.

It's quite relaxing watching nature at work.
    Everyone is entitled to my opinion!
  • Tiffany_Aching
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your replies, you have been very helpful.

I've convinced my husband to leave them be until the winter. I'll get him to puff some powder round the entrance and leave for a few days to be sure that they are all dead / gone and then get the nest out of the loft (and have a declutter !).

Now to convince him to climb up a high ladder to get to the nest entrance in the eaves.... :D
    Jan NSD 4/15
    2015 Pay £7000 Off Debt No. 107 £566.51/£7000
  • mart.vader
    mart.vader Posts: 714 Forumite
    Options
    Biggles wrote: »
    Wow, £12.95 for something that is apparently completely inert but just looks (a bit) like a wasp nest.

Not much use to the OP, who already has a wasp nest, which she can leave up and get the same effect for free!

Look, I just corrected Wasperator to Waspinator. I didn't say it worked, I've never used one. However, it claims to get rid of wasps, which is what the OP wants, isn't it ?
  • spacey2012
    spacey2012 Posts: 5,836 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    The nest is made of chewed up wood, the nearest wood, which in this case will be the timber supporting the roof.
    You need rid of them as a matter of urgency.
    Be happy...;)
  • Biggles
    Biggles Posts: 8,209 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    mart.vader wrote: »
    Look, I just corrected Wasperator to Waspinator. I didn't say it worked, I've never used one. However, it claims to get rid of wasps, which is what the OP wants, isn't it ?
    Relax. I wasn't criticising your post, just commenting on the Waspinator thing, which looked like a rip-off. That's all.
  • SteveJW
    SteveJW Posts: 716 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Look in the DIY shops some brands of ant killer have exactly the same amount of active ingredient (poison) as wasp killer for around 20% of the price.
    I made a Heath Robinson device to spray the ant killer
    Hair dryer £1 at a car boot sale
    Length of 50mm plastic drain pipe
    Roll of Gaffer Tape

Fix pipe to hairdryer with Gaffer tape, load up with ant killer, point at where they are getting in, switch on hair dryer, repeat a couple of times. Few days later no more wasps
  • Dimey
    Dimey Posts: 1,434 Forumite
    Options
    spacey2012 wrote: »
    The nest is made of chewed up wood, the nearest wood, which in this case will be the timber supporting the roof.

The tiny amount of wood and plant material wasps can mix with their saliva to make a nest is hardly going to jeopardise the supporting timber of a house roof --- is it?

2.jpg
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "Any more posts you want to make on something you obviously know very little about?"
    Is an actual reaction to my posts, so please don't rely on anything I say. :)
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,559 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    spacey2012 wrote: »

Has there ever been a case of a roof falling in because of wasps?
  • clairus
    clairus Posts: 127 Forumite
    Options
    Hello all,

We have been finding a few sleepy/drowsy wasps in our bedrooms over the past few weeks.

During the same period we have been lighting our kitchen fireplace, the chimney of which passes up through the rooms we have found the wasps in. This chimney is supposedly blocked off in these rooms 9we don't get any smoke/odour come through when the fire is lit.

Do we need to get someone out to get rid of the nest (?) or is there something we can do ourselves?

Thank you

Claire
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family