Bees/Wasps how to get rid! (merged threads)

Options

Comments

• 1gabriella
    Options
    Can't now find the thread, but we HAD a wasp nest and on a forum on this site I read that Ant Killer powder does the job and doing it yourself (if you can get to it) saves £30-£50.

Well we did it last night, FANTASTIC - IT WORKED.
  • keystone
    keystone Posts: 10,916 Forumite
    Options
    Well you'd better be certain that you have killed them off and not just p.ss.d them off or revenge will come on swift wings!

Cheers
    The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits. - Einstein
  • Maz1963
    Maz1963 Posts: 117 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Good to know ant powder works as well. You can get special wasp killing powder as well (maybe it's the same stuff!) - I got mine in the garden centre. The wasps were going in between roof tiles - you spray the powder as the nest entrance, then they pick it up on the way in and the ones inside die off too. Has worked each time (I could hear them in the roof space at night!). Fortunately I was able to lean out of a window and spray down onto the tiles - they do get very angry as soon as you deposit the powder!
  • 1gabriella
    Options
    It has definitely gone, was quite an active nest and have not seem a wasp all morning. I have before tried wasp nest spray and has never worked, but powder seems to do the trick, as you say I think the powder sticks and they take it into the nest with them. When I went into our local hardware store and purchased Ant killer I was told that the local wasp nest exterminator uses Ant Killer, and had just been in to buy some. Result!!
  • tiff
    tiff Posts: 6,608 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    A few years ago I walked in our bedroom and then realised there was a loud humming noise, it was a wasps next in the bedroom fireplace which had been blocked off just leaving a vent on the wall. Phoned the council and the cost for them to come and do it was £100 so I decided to do it myself. Luckily the wall vent was closed so I opened it a tiny bit and puffed the powder in as much as I could. Took a while to kill every wasp but it did the job. So lucky we had the vent though or someone would have had to get on the roof.
    “A budget is telling your money where to go instead of wondering where it went.” - Dave Ramsey
  • latecomer
    latecomer Posts: 4,321 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Might have to give that a shot - I've got a wasps nest under my hedge that needs dealt with and I happen to have ant powder lying around. Will give it a shot when its quiet and then run away :)
  • Flibsey
    Flibsey Posts: 579 Forumite
    Options
    leave a dead nest in situ, it will deter any other wasps from making nests nearby. wasps are incredibly stupid, even a blown up binbag looks like anest to them.
  • ih8stress
    ih8stress Posts: 1,933 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Been finding the occasional wasp in the lounge for the past few weeks - apparently they're coming down the chimney - eek! How do I get rid? I know they should be dying off soon and the queen will hibernate but will she fly off, or hide in the house somewhere else?

I have a wasp phobia so can't do anything myself. Also the gas fire needs servicing and daren't use it now anyway in case I set the chimney on fire as obviously I can't see if there is definitely a nest, and how big it might be.

Thanks
  • SplanK
    SplanK Posts: 1,152 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    You probably have a nest nearby - maybe in the loft or even in the chimney itself. They are still very much alive but are starting to get dopey with the rotten fruit thats around and the cold.

If the nest is in the house (IE loft) then they look for somewhere nice and warm - under loft insulation is perfect for them :(

Have a look at your roofline and around the house outside - if there is a nest then it should be obvious as they tend to use one place to get into the nest (unless blocked)
  • Soubrette
    Soubrette Posts: 4,118 Forumite
    Options
    I think we have a wasps nest - is it worth calling the exterminator out or just blocking the entrance in a few months time? I think it's in the loft but the entrance is in the faschia board where the old water pipes used to be.

They do use this entrance every year but its a problems this year because next door are concerned and they have small children.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure