Bees/Wasps how to get rid! (merged threads)

Options

Comments

• Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,559 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    The wasps will be dying off soon except for next year's queens who will find somewhere to hibernate. This year's nest won't be used again. If you can hang on for a few weeks, your problem will be solved without any action needed.
  • Yorkie1
    Yorkie1 Posts: 11,574 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Mojisola wrote: »
    The wasps will be dying off soon except for next year's queens who will find somewhere to hibernate. This year's nest won't be used again. If you can hang on for a few weeks, your problem will be solved without any action needed.

My wasps nest is in the far corner of the loft, they're getting in under loose mortar on the roof. They are then getting into my kitchen somehow, I assume down the cavity walls and through floorboards or air vents.

I plan to renew the roof in the next few months so don't want to trap the queens inside. How likely are the queens to hibernate inside the loft / cavity walls / elsewhere in the house?
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,559 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Yorkie1 wrote: »
    My wasps nest is in the far corner of the loft, they're getting in under loose mortar on the roof. They are then getting into my kitchen somehow, I assume down the cavity walls and through floorboards or air vents.

I plan to renew the roof in the next few months so don't want to trap the queens inside. How likely are the queens to hibernate inside the loft / cavity walls / elsewhere in the house?

I don't think anyone can answer that. Where a queen hibernates won't be the same place that she chooses to build her nest. If you watch out in the Spring, you'll see if any wasps are coming and going regularly from around the house. That's the time to get rid of them if you have to - when there's only a dozen or so residents.

It's not nice to have sleepy wasps getting into your kitchen! Whatever you do, don't block up the way they're using to get into the roof or the only way out for them will be through your house.
  • Ennill1
    Options
    Much later adding to this thread - we have had a wasp's nest in our wall very close to the back door and where I have my flower pots etc.

Cost £45 to have council (Community Warden) come and kill it off =- worth every penny due to proximity to our back door.

I have had a bumble bee nest even closer for the past 3 years, they don't bother me.

Guy that came today to deal with the wasps told me that if you get in the way of the bumble bee 'flight path' they will just go around you, but wasps will attack you instead.

So glad to see the back of them.
  • beedeedee
    beedeedee Posts: 991 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    We used old bricks to make the basis of our garden pond - the sides had to be built up because the garden sloped away. We seem to have what we think must be Masonry bees, (only two or three), flying through the decking, presumably to their nest. I assume they don't have a queen or anything in there? How can we humanely dissuade them from living there, short of demolishing the pond etc?
  • Gloomendoom
    Gloomendoom Posts: 16,550 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Why bother? They won't do you any harm.

For several years we've had them living in a hole in the wall just inches away from the patio doors and they have been no trouble at all.
  • beedeedee
    beedeedee Posts: 991 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Well I'm not quite as keen to have them so close thankyou.
    I would prefer them to not be buzzing around folks ears whilst they are sitting near the pond. Someone has mentioned crushed garlic - does it work for bees?
  • pest_bee_gone
    Options
    i am the owner of a pest control company and im aware that people think £45 is alot of money but what i will say is by paying a company to do the nest you are not putting yourself at danger.we are trained to treat these nests...im not saying you cant treat yourself but please be aware of the dangers first.this year is a bad wasp year .so please keep yourself safe 1st.if you are not sure ring for advice from the council or local pest control company first
  • adecor
    adecor Posts: 269 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Our wasp nest is tiny at the moment and they have started building it on the roof lining in the loft. There are lots of dead ones around so not sure if they are entirely happy here. Can't actually work out where they are getting into the loft. Do we just have to put ant powder into the hole of the nest inside the loft or try and find out where they are getting in?
  • Biggles
    Biggles Posts: 8,209 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Just leave them if they aren't a nuisance in the house, they won't do any harm.

If you do need to kill them, buy a wasp nest killer powder and apply it at dusk.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure