Bees/Wasps how to get rid! (merged threads)

Options

Comments

• surfsister
    surfsister Posts: 7,527 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    They die out Sept / Oct and will never use the same nest again. S only bother if they are an immediate pest.

Or get the foam, spray and run.

I also read somewhere that you can get thr council in to do it. Something like £50. Maybe the better option if you don't have the legs to run.

Hiya councils won't do them now due to health and safety!!! lol
  • babyboysmommy
    Options
    We have a bees nest under the rabbit hutch which is just outside the patio doors. Any ideas about whaty we should or shouldn't do?
  • nimbo
    nimbo Posts: 3,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    We have a bees nest under the rabbit hutch which is just outside the patio doors. Any ideas about whaty we should or shouldn't do?

call the council for bees - they will send out a bee keeper who will take them away if accessiable.... (and maybe the right type of bees????? not sure if they'll take them all)

it's actually illeagal to kill them IF THEY ARE easily accessiable. the bee man will tell you if they aren't and then you can do the killing thing.

i had a nest up my chimney - and he gave the OK to get rid after having a look as they kept coming in the house, and i'm allergic.

they're endangered hence the removal. also they can make money from them if put in a hive...

Stashbuster - 2014 98/100 - 2015 175/200 - 2016 501 / 500 2017 - 200 / 500 2018 3 / 500
    :T:T
  • babyboysmommy
    Options
    I'm 99% sure they are bumblebees, they are under the rabbit hutch so if it was moved they would be easily exposed.
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,559 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Can you leave them where they are? Bumblebees rarely sting. They are only there for the summer so you won't have to put up with them for long.
  • babyboysmommy
    Options
    Yes if I have to, I don't want them to come back though so I'm guessing we need to block off under the hutch once the season is over?
  • googler
    googler Posts: 16,103 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    exup wrote: »
    Im sure I heard about a fake wasp nest (Jeremy Vine show on Radio 2) which you hang up in your garden and after a couple days, wasps will keep away from it as they would any other wasps nest that has established in an area

Got a pack of these from my local garden centre the other day - 2 in a pack, flat-packed, you open them out, hang them up and as poster above says, they should stay away as they think rivals have already established a nest in the territory.....

Online at http://waspinator.co.uk/
  • AuntyJean
    AuntyJean Posts: 585 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Read all your posts and tips and whilst the powder or foam sounds good what if the nest is inaccessable? I have my loft converted (floored with carpet, not full conversion) and each end is a recess where I store the usual stuff (suitcases, Christmas decorations). Then there is a further extension on the back of the house with a roof which is level to the floor of the loft. The nest appears to be in there which I can't get to. This means the little blighters are coming in to the bit which is accessiblel.

Whilst I have no fear of bees I have a phobia about wasps. They actually dive bomb me when I am sat in my car! I swear they can sense my fear. Now I don't want to use my loft in case they are hidden and suddenly appear in droves, especially this time of year when they are dopey.

What I am looking for is some kind of smoke or chemical release that I can safely leave in the recess for a few days to kill them all off. Then I will try to get a ladder to where they are going in and spray expanding foam under the fascia to stop them using the same entrance next year.
    There is always light within the dark
  • Team_Twister
    Options
    AuntyJean wrote: »
    Read all your posts and tips and whilst the powder or foam sounds good what if the nest is inaccessable? I have my loft converted (floored with carpet, not full conversion) and each end is a recess where I store the usual stuff (suitcases, Christmas decorations). Then there is a further extension on the back of the house with a roof which is level to the floor of the loft. The nest appears to be in there which I can't get to. This means the little blighters are coming in to the bit which is accessiblel.

What I am looking for is some kind of smoke or chemical release that I can safely leave in the recess for a few days to kill them all off. Then I will try to get a ladder to where they are going in and spray expanding foam under the fascia to stop them using the same entrance next year.

The darn things have to be going in & out somewhere, and if you can find a way to blow powder into this entrance from a safe distance (see my earlier post) I think it's likely to work.

I've now done 3 nests in my & my neighbour's roofs, none of them were accessible and I just blew powder into the entrances using my Heath Robinson rig - it's worked each time. I figure the wasps carried the powder with them into the nest and that was enough. Last year I tried using foam and it simply didn't work.

Wasps will be tailing off now as the weather cools, but of course if they're left alone all those new queens will be planning to start new nests next year...
  • Max_1066
    Max_1066 Posts: 169 Forumite
    Options
    I have a wasps nest in a tree so its not easily accessible. If it was on a wall or something I'd try the powder however where it is I may have to call the council in. As the property is rented is this down to the landlord or tenant ?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure