Bees/Wasps how to get rid! (merged threads)

Options

Comments

• latecomer
    latecomer Posts: 4,321 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Just look into all the eaves and check around the rafters. If you do find one, get the council in to deal with it.
  • absent_dad
    absent_dad Posts: 57 Forumite
    Options
    If you do have wasps don't go poking around up there, they are probably just stiring from hibernation and a bit hungry and grumpy...I know I am :) They may attack.

See if you can see a small brown ball (the nest) hanging from one of the rafters, they may even be in the cavity. Watch from outside the house to see if they are coming and going from the eves.

If you have, you will need a professional, the council have a list of local exterminators.

Hope this helps
  • Mankysteve
    Mankysteve Posts: 4,257 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Only the queen survives the winter and wasps wont use the same nest twice, although they may use the same area.

If could just be ones that have got lost otherwise look for a cardboard colourws round circular thing.

Personally I take the hippy and cheap route of unless a nest is actually bothering me ie in the back of shed or a family member is allergic I would leave alone as there good for the garden. My parents have had nest in both the bay window roof and the eves in the past never caused us any problems.
  • absent_dad
    absent_dad Posts: 57 Forumite
    Options
    See the wiki article about them here

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polistes_dominula

Nests are begun by overwintered foundresses, who spend about a month in the spring constructing a nest and provisioning offspring...The colony disperses in the late summer, with only males and future foundresses produced instead of workers, and individuals frequently cluster in groups (called a hibernaculum) to overwinter. Hibernation does not usually take place on former nest sites.

Look for a small ball which the new queen will be building. Although you can take the eco-friendly option, as wasps kill flies and caterpillars, if you live in a built up area, there may be children about. These nests can be more pest than friends with over 20,000 in a coloney. It will be up to you to best decide on its future.

Also some wasps can eat away at your mortar
  • antbarson
    antbarson Posts: 33 Forumite
    Cashback Cashier
    Options
    Found a nest today - the queen was in the process of building it in my shed. We didn't know that at the time, so I batted it down and closed the shed door. I returned about 30 mins later to find the tennis ball sized nest in peices and one confused queen wasp flying around the fragments. A good blast with the wasp killer and I shut the door again. 10 mins latter, returned to find a dead wasp. A good hours work and you tell me the Council want HOW MUCH!!!! :eek:
  • joeyvicks
    joeyvicks Posts: 237 Forumite
    Options
    i spotted a couple of wasps coming out of a small hole in the mortar of my house. I haven't stood and watched for long though cos i'm absolutely terrified of them!! Will this be some sort of nest inside? if so where would it be because we dont have a loft? Can they build a nest within the cavity? The cavity has in the past (by the previous owners) been filled???
  • jml29
    jml29 Posts: 1 Newbie
    Options
    jmf wrote: »
    A friend has an infestation of bees/wasps under a flat roof on an extension.

He has thought of drilling a hole in the facia board so that he can pump something in to kill them, but what!

Any suggestions please.

ANT POWDER! Which you can buy for under 2 quid from any supermarket!
  • nick_p_3
    Options
    Hi

Does the ant powder also work with Bees as we have them in our eves.I will have to puff the powder up towards the hole they use to get in and out
    Yes I know bees are not so bad but they are next to our young childs bedroom window and I am not prepared to take the risk.

Cheers
    Nick
  • facingthefuture
    Options
    For goodness sake whatever happens, don't be as stupid as me - wear a mask.
  • sky_jones
    Options
    hi .i took your advice got me a can of wasp spray,thought id give them a fighting chance,so i went out to spray em in shorts n t shirt.lol.i gave them a blast and run like the wind.i sure i managed to run over water i was goin that fast..anyway today i looked and,,,there all gone whoohooo..saved me a 45 pound call out to the council.and i think i could give hussain bolt a run for his money now too..thanks..:)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure