Bees/Wasps how to get rid! (merged threads)

Options

Comments

• spakkker
    spakkker Posts: 1,322 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    The wasp killer powder with bendiocard as the active ingredient works well. Just puff it into the access way and the wasps take it into the nest - costs from £1.
    May well be best to do this on an evening and cover up well!
    Never used spray types/foam , no need.
    Our council even used to sell it.
  • sazzie_sue
    sazzie_sue Posts: 78 Forumite
    Options
    Hi All!

Thanks for the help, the wasps nest is above my back door we have an old wooden back door and some of the frame has rotted away, the wasps have built a nest in a hole where the wood has rotted way, should buy a new door really but not as bad as it sounds.

I have bought some foam spray today think will be cheaper option, cost £4.99 from the local garden centre BF sprayed it over the hole this afternoon wore 2 layers of clothes, gloves and a snorkle we brought back from spain to protect his eyes it looked very funny.

Havn't looked a the nest yet will check tomorrow and if still see the buzzys will call in the pros.

Thanx for your help again SS!
    :money:I secretly think martin is super sexy!! LOL!!:money:
  • retrocircles
    retrocircles Posts: 746 Forumite
    Options
    We have an old wooden conservatory on the back of our house. We've been finding dead bees in there for the last few weeks. With a day off work today I've finally seen them going under the floor from the outside of the conservatory. The conservatory is starting to rot in places, so I can only imagine there is a hole somewhere down there.

I can't get down the side to block the hole (as it's less than a foot from the fence to next door). Council don't want to know because they aren't a pest.

I'm not sure what to do!!! Some of these bees are HUGE...
    Debt @ LBM 29/12/08 - £49044! Now £44684.
    Fat loss 29/85lbs // £100 into £10k £243.07/£10k
    HSBC Loan 9658 // HSBC CC 3484 // HSBC CC 1464 // DP's 779 // Car 0% 4851 // Halifax OD 1348 // HSBC OD 1.5k // HSBC OD 1k // Barclays OD 400 // IOMOM 4400 // S Loan 15k // Cap1 £800
  • Ebe_Scrooge
    Ebe_Scrooge Posts: 7,320 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    That's often a problem with bees - councils won't usually help as they're not classed as a pest ( in fact, I think, though I may be wrong, that they're actually protected ).

Anyway, the usual advice in this situation is see if you can get hold of a local bee-keeper. They will sometimes come and safely re-home them for you. Plus you get the satisfaction of knowing that the bees are being properly cared for in their new home :-)
  • frugallass
    frugallass Posts: 2,320 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    visit these guys ......

Beekeepers

Honey Bees

Swarms are difficult to treat and a beekeeper may be the best option. Beekeepers will only collect bees from accessible places and a charge may be made to cover their expenses. The British Beekeepers Association has some useful information on bees, please see the link on the right.
    Honey bees are small and fawn coloured and normally not at ground level.

Bumble Bees

The hairy type, either big or small, will normally nest in holes in the ground or sheds, etc, at ground level. They will generally, spend winter in their nests and emerge the following year. They are beneficial to gardens.
    The honey bee and bumble bee are rapidly declining in numbers. A mite is killing the honey bee and it is thought that changing agricultural practices are killing off the bumble bee. Both honey and bumble bees are good for the environment.

Solitary Mining Bees

Found in gardens, apparent by a large number of 'bore-like' holes in soil early on in the year. The bees live as an individual and the holes will go down approx 15cm and contain their larvae. They are beneficial and are not able to sting.

Masonry Bees

Similar to above but use small cracks/faults in brickwork. They cannot damage/bore into modern mortar. Again, there is very little treatment that can be done, as they are solitary and will disappear before summer.
  • AdrianW2
    AdrianW2 Posts: 416 Forumite
    Options
    You should try the bee/wasp thread, where I suspect this will get merged soon.

Huge bees are more likely to be bumble bees than honey bees so you won't get a beekeeper to take them. Male bumble bees are harmless, and the females are pretty passive.
  • Mr_Warren_2
    Mr_Warren_2 Posts: 991 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Plus, they will not nest in the same place two years running so if you can be patient this year, they will have moved elsewhere next year.
  • retrocircles
    retrocircles Posts: 746 Forumite
    Options
    Mr_Warren wrote: »
    Plus, they will not nest in the same place two years running so if you can be patient this year, they will have moved elsewhere next year.

Do they live in the same place for winter? Because there's a chance we might knock down the conservatory in the new year to replace it!!! Don't want to get them angry by demolishing their home. Eeeek.
    Debt @ LBM 29/12/08 - £49044! Now £44684.
    Fat loss 29/85lbs // £100 into £10k £243.07/£10k
    HSBC Loan 9658 // HSBC CC 3484 // HSBC CC 1464 // DP's 779 // Car 0% 4851 // Halifax OD 1348 // HSBC OD 1.5k // HSBC OD 1k // Barclays OD 400 // IOMOM 4400 // S Loan 15k // Cap1 £800
  • nickym
    nickym Posts: 481 Forumite
    Options
    amd wrote: »
    DON'T CALL ANYONE OUT!!!!!!!

Get off to Woolies and get a container of ANT POWDER. It has Permethrin in it, same as council stuff.

Do it in the LATE EVENING when they're not flying.

Puff it around the area the wasps are coming in/out from. (They pick it up on their bodies and transfer it around the nest). You can't puff the container upwards, as we found out, so maybe work out a way of tipping it from another container if need be. This is serious stuff...... COVER YOURSELF UP AND DO NOT INHALE!

Sister did this last year for a wasp nest in her eaves and an ant nest lower down - nothing at all to see the next day - ALL GONE! :beer:
    Thanks for this!!
    Weve had a wasp nest for a couple of weeks in 1 of our air bricks & couldn't really afford to get the council out (they charged £45 when we had 1 2 yrs ago)
    Then yesterday my husband read this & we got some ant powder immediately! We squirted it into the air brick late last night & have not seen a single wasp today, I'm well pleased!! :D:j
    THE LIFE AND SOUL OF THE PARTY :beer:
  • ixwood
    ixwood Posts: 2,550 Forumite
    Options
    :(

Save our Bees!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income