Bees/Wasps how to get rid! (merged threads)

Options

Comments

• blue70
    blue70 Posts: 72 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    raypierre wrote: »
    If they are bees and you kill them, you are breaking the law.

Please understand that I am asking purely out of curiousity as I would much prefer the bees to be re-homed, but what piece of legislation actually protects bees??
    July 2018 - Now Mortgage Free :)
  • benjo
    benjo Posts: 482 Forumite
    Options
    I had this problem in a house supplied by a former employer, the bees took up residence in the redundant chimney so no way of smoking them out.

The local bee lady often used to visit the estate and capture the queens, cycle off on her bike and take the whole colony with her, alas she wasnt prepared to work above head height and so my employer got Rentokil out :( Really very sad.

The advice they gave was that the chimney must be made sound so that they couldnt come back later, seems if they take up residence once and you dont prevent bees getting in you will have the problem over and over again.

I dont know if your local council provides any sort of service? worth ringing them for advice.

Goodluck
  • hewhoisnotintheknow
    Options
    Tell them to buzz off

Or light a smokey fire

I was told at the weekend that bees are protected, i didnt think it was true to be honest, but you never know
  • AdrianW2
    AdrianW2 Posts: 416 Forumite
    Options
    blue70 wrote: »
    what piece of legislation actually protects bees??

I don't believe there is one. They don't seem to be covered by the Wildlife and Countryside Act, which would be the obvious place.

I suppose you could argue that honey bees are effectively extinct in the wild and that therefore the swarm is likely to be someone's property, so killing it would be criminal damage but I don't think it would get very far.
  • kernewek
    kernewek Posts: 192 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Bees are nice, almost quite cute.

But...

Wasps...

KILL THEM ALL!!!!:eek:
  • marleyboy
    marleyboy Posts: 16,698 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I have a Bee's nest underneath our decking, although I have no issue with Bee's as they help with the flowers in the garden, its unnerving to hear the constant hum under the decking and the occasional guest freaking out if we dare to BBQ or drink in the Garden.

Without actually wanting to tear apart the decking, is there anyway I can encourage them to leave the nest?
    :A:dance:1+1+1=1:dance::A
    "Marleyboy you are a legend!"
    MarleyBoy "You are the Greatest"
    Marleyboy You Are A Legend!
    Marleyboy speaks sense
    marleyboy (total legend)
    Marleyboy - You are, indeed, a legend.
  • WestonDave
    WestonDave Posts: 5,154 Forumite
    Rampant Recycler
    Options
    Unless you want to have it poisoned by pest control (which I hope you don't as bees are becoming threatened - I do understand its a bit unnerving!) the only other option is to dismantle enough of the decking to allow a bee keeper to come and take the swarm away. (or more accurately get them to come and do the whole job with the right equipment!).

Might be worth seeing if there is a local bee-keepers association/club near you where one of the members might be willing to give you some advice (probably free)
    Adventure before Dementia!
  • marleyboy
    marleyboy Posts: 16,698 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I wouldn't want to kill them, personally I have no objections to them as they help with the garden and as you say they are a threatened species. Wasps however, I hate and would gladly poison the nest, but not Bee's.

I am hoping merely to discourage them from nesting under the decking, (mainly for guests purposes).
    :A:dance:1+1+1=1:dance::A
    "Marleyboy you are a legend!"
    MarleyBoy "You are the Greatest"
    Marleyboy You Are A Legend!
    Marleyboy speaks sense
    marleyboy (total legend)
    Marleyboy - You are, indeed, a legend.
  • rheme
    rheme Posts: 1,018 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Try rubbing a crushed garlic clove on the area where you can see them going into the nest e.g. between the decking slats. This must be done at dusk and not during the day when they are coming and going.

I have done this for wasps nests under the house - rubbing crushed garlic cloves on the air bricks and it works.

So give it a try for bees and hopefully you will have the same success and they will leave the nest.
  • debrag
    debrag Posts: 3,426 Forumite
    Options
    so a friend has a wasps nest in the roof apparently the council have come round but can't/won't do anything coz according to them they can't see the nest.

What should they do?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport