Bees/Wasps how to get rid! (merged threads)

Options

Comments

• abr
    abr Posts: 166 Forumite
    Options
    debrag wrote: »
    so a friend has a wasps nest in the roof apparently the council have come round but can't/won't do anything coz according to them they can't see the nest.

What should they do?

how does your friend know there is a wasps nest there??
    if the council can't see it they can't treat it
    i have just had one destroyed in my loft (3 weeks ago)
    but it could be seen,just.
    the man who destroyed the nest said it was the most difficult one he had had to fix.
    but fix it he did at a cost of £42:mad:
  • debrag
    debrag Posts: 3,426 Forumite
    Options
    well my friends says it's behind a board. They must know it's there.
  • wallbash
    wallbash Posts: 17,775 Forumite
    Options
    f the council can't see it they can't treat it

News to me !!

Had a wasp nest , watched the wasps enter a hole above the garage.
    Asked a local pest controller to deal with it. He arrived 2 hours later.
    Put all his gear on and sprayed the hole ( and surrounding area)
    Wasps appeared from nowhere , but stayed close to the garage, within an hour not a wasp was too be seen.

Question, where do wasps go to die??

That was three days ago ... no wasps.
    Ps charge was £35
  • sazzie_sue
    sazzie_sue Posts: 78 Forumite
    Options
    Hi all,

Might be posting in the wrong place but this is kinda a DIY question, I have a wasps nest above the back door, driving me crazy as I open the door in the summer when warm so house is red hot and keep finding wasps in the house, squirt them with bug killer makes them quite mad but very funny!! so kinda hoping anyone has any DIY wasps killing ideas.

On a serious note having a wasps nest is a nasty accident waiting to happen, I have looked in the yellow pages today and rang a few place and been quoted anything from £150-£200 and simply cannot not afford this. Does anyone have any pratical safe ideas on how i can rid of this nest myself or reccomend any cheap companies in the north as I really need to sort this.

Thanx SS!
    :money:I secretly think martin is super sexy!! LOL!!:money:
  • The_Old_Bag
    The_Old_Bag Posts: 4,706 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I had one in the garden shed a few years ago - I contacted my local council, who did send someone out to remove it, but it cost me quite a bit if I remember.

I found one being built in the shed again this year - went to Wilkinson and bought a can of Wasp Nest killer - less than £5.
    Used it two consecutive nights per instructions ( wasps dopier at night time, so therefore safer;)) - produces a foam type spray.
    Next day, I knocked the empty nest into a carrier bag, binned and all wasps gone.

Very pleased, as I was worried about children, esp later in summer when all my fruit tends to attract them anyway.
    Having a garden shed full of wasps is a bit daunting when you are in and out of it all summer for gardening and bbq stuff

I hope that helps
  • sazzie_sue
    sazzie_sue Posts: 78 Forumite
    Options
    Hi old bag,

Thats great thanx, I have just looked on another forum from a google search which has said the council charge about £25 which is much more wat I can afford, I think it would b better to leave it to the pros.

If more expensive then will try a bottle or wasps spray but OH can do this LOL!! I'm not risking it, really do need to sort it tho as house will be going on the market soon and sure this will put ppl off.

But thanx thanks for the advice tho would never thought of ringing the local council,will call them tomorrow, great advice thanx a lot.

SS!
    :money:I secretly think martin is super sexy!! LOL!!:money:
  • micknmace
    micknmace Posts: 22 Forumite
    Options
    I have just recently got rid of a wasp nest down in the roots of my pampass grass. Out for revenge after 1 stung me through my jeans on the inside of my leg about 2inches from the top, I waited til the middle of the night & with petrol can in hand launched 2 glugs at it & ran as fast as I could shutting the backdoor behind me. A couple of days later there was still the odd 1 coming & going so again in the middle of the night I went with petrol can, this time with spout attatched & poured a small amount directly into the hole. I checked the next morning & not a single wasp since. Result! My next step was to burn them but thankfully it hasn't come to that. Just over 2 weeks later & the pampass still looks ok. The fumes from the petrol suffocates them. Hope this helps. Good luck.
  • Forgetful
    Forgetful Posts: 1,729 Forumite
    Options
    we had a nest just above the porch...it had built its nest by entering the ventilation vent and had built the nest inside.. Tried wasp spray but when realised it was a big nest i foned council but they were gonna charge me in region of £150 and also not guaranteed to be rid of . So I went and bought a nest killer spray aboutr £3- £4 a can. U spray it into the vent...in my case and wait for the foam to spread inside and kill off the wasps... They all came rushing out as we sprayed in the foam and I was dressed like a spaceman...But after about 2 attempts we succeeded...
  • dolly74_2
    dolly74_2 Posts: 111 Forumite
    Options
    I work for pest control at our local council and we charge £49 per nest. They spray a fine powder around the nest which the wasps then take into the nest and they get killed off. One visit usually works. Councils all have different rates but i would phone them before anyone else as there are loads of cowboys about in this field. I notice at argos they sell wasp foam but i havent used it so don;t know how good it is. If you can cope with the nest being there a bit longer, once it dies off at the end of summer they wont return to the same nest so you can safely remove it and they won't come back to the same spot next year.
  • Biggles
    Biggles Posts: 8,209 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    The wasp nest killer powder works fine and I've found one application in the evening (when they're returning to the nest) usually finishes them off.

I've heard petrol can work, as mentioned by Micknmace but I might be eeever so slightly reluctant to use it just above your back door. Even more reluctant if you were smokers.....
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure