Jewellery making anyone??

Options

Comments

• irishgirl62
    irishgirl62 Posts: 1,548 Forumite
    Options
    Jo_F wrote: »
    Irishgirl, how are you opening the jump rings? if you are just pulling the ends apart then they will never go back into shape and so won't close. The best way of doing it is to have the rinf faceing you, so you see the 'hoop' use pliers to push one end past the other, and then put whatever on it, and then move the end back, sometimes bring it a little past the other way and then back into place and that will close the gap, it's difficult to explain and there is another post in this thread where I have described it better.

I had a go today making a bracelet with about 38 beads and charms dangling it using jump rings and thank you Jo you have explained how to close the jump rings very well! My DD has taken it to road test it see if the beads stay on!

What size would you say is popular for jump rings? I have about 100 left but do not remember what size it was
    I am determined to lose weight!:kisses3:
    Weight loss so far 2 stones 6lbs!! :j:j
  • Sylvergrunge
    Options
    Hey all, fabulous thread may I say, although I have wasted nearly a whole day looking through it and checking out all the gorgeous piccies and links. I am completely new to jewellery making and am addicted already. I dread to think how much I have spent on bits and bobs already (winging their way to me as we speak...can't wait!!!). Anyway, onto my question. Can anyone recommend a good magazine to subscribe to? My M-I-L gets me a mag subscription every year for my birthday and I thought, if there was a good one out there then you knowledgable lot would know about it :o) Thanks in advance for any replies and keep the inspirational piccies coming :T
    :D
  • sandy2_2
    sandy2_2 Posts: 1,931 Forumite
    Options
    I´ve got 2 unset American diamonds ie zirconia, which would make a brilliant pair of stud earrings for pierced ears. Has anyone got any suggestion where I can get just one pair of claw stettings for them in Silver or white gold plate. I googled but cam up with large numbers not just one pair. Has anyone got any tips re bending the claws etc
    Also how do I know what size setting to get ie how do I measure the width of the stone accurately
    Thanks
    Sandy
  • newlywed
    newlywed Posts: 8,255 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Sandy - Have you tried ebay? You can often get real silver findings in individual numbers.

No idea how to measure the stone though - other than maybe to draw round it?
    working on clearing the clutterDo I want the stuff or the space?
  • Jo_F
    Jo_F Posts: 1,780 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    To measure the stone I think you would need some calipers, as you would need to know the diameter of the stone in order to source the right size setting.

As to the closing the claws, I would say carefully with a pair of pliers.

Sylvergunge, with regard to mags, have a look in WHSmiths to see what is available as which one would suit you better, the newer ones (Make Jewellery and Making Jewellery) are aimed at beginners, wheras Bead and Beads & Beyond are aimed at people with a little more knowledge, especially when it comes to PMC, wirework and sead bead weaving.
  • sandy2_2
    sandy2_2 Posts: 1,931 Forumite
    Options
    Yes I´ve tried ebay, but nothing suitable. I did see some snap tight sttings, but sizing was a problem as I don´t have any calipers
  • Jo_F
    Options
    You got anyone nearby that is an engineer or something like that? They may have some, failing that, a proper jeweller (not H Samual type) should have some and may measure them for you.
  • bramalfie
    bramalfie Posts: 221 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Just spent the evening reading this thread, have decided today that I want to start making jewellery again (used to make it when I was at school quite a few years ago). Thanks to everyone for all the links and suggestions for where to buy all the gear, will now be trying not to spend too much money getting started!! Also thanks for posting pics of the things you have made, they have given me plenty of ideas of the sort of things I want to make!!

Ailsa
  • cocktailsavings
    Options
    Hi, I am new to this thread and on Friday I discovered it! Since then it has helped me spend spend spend and not save! I went to Primark on Saturday and bought beaded necklaces that I could break up and create new ones and mix the beads up. Two large beaded necklaces cost £1.50 which I didn't think was too bad! I also went to Hobbycraft and spent a small fortune (I was too impatient to wait as I wanted to get started on Saturday night), I made two pairs of earrings and two necklaces and am going to try and upload some pics when i get a chance. I ordered more stuff off ebay on Saturday night and am just waiting for them to be delivered. I can't wait until they do! K2-accessories seemed to be a really good shop on ebay to buy stuff from and ang's attic. I wish I had bought everything off ebay as would have got loads more for my money than hobbycraft! I also bought a book on "beadmaking around the home" 99p from the Works and Making jewellery £2.99 from the Works also which have also helped me get started. I bought a pair of pliers from 99p stores (they are good but I think I need to invest in a better pair as I found that they scratched the metal quite a lot when creating a loop. Anyway, thanks to you all for your helpful ideas and inspiration - hopefully I will be able to host a jewellery party one day like many of you do! Zoe
    Mummy to a beautiful 4 month old princess! x
  • Jo_F
    Options
    Pliers scratching metal work is not always down to them being cheaper pliers, its the teeth on the plier that do it, what a lot of people do (if they are not going to buy the flat pliers or the nylon jaw ones) is cover them with masking tape, this will prevent the teeth biting into the wire and marking it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure