🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Jewellery making anyone??

Options

Comments

• clarkey1000
    clarkey1000 Posts: 174 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi,
    Discovered this thread yesterday and have already placed an order for Cat's eye beads from a shop in the US (hidden Hollows) and am about to buy some lampwork beads from an ebay seller recommended on here - you are bad people!!

I do need lots of beads though (honest) as I'm taking over a jewellery making class where I live and need to build up stock for the students (and for me to generally stare at and stroke in between classes!!!) :D

I have a question though that I'm hoping someone might be able to answer...... up till now when I have pendants with large holes I use a seed bead inbetween the pendant and the headpin to stop it passing straight through the bead. However,I was just looking at a necklace of mine and it has a thin metal disc inbetween the pendant and the head pin (a bit like a tiny washer). Does anyone know what I'm talking about? Do you know what they're called and where I can get some??

Thanks very much!
    Feb 14 GC - £89.37/£300
  • vicks276
    vicks276 Posts: 834 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi Clarkey!

I think they are called rondelles, but mostly known as washers lol!!. There are some silver plated ones on ebay (just type in silver washer beads). Beadaddict and ejrbeads do the sterling silver hilltribe ones.

Good luck with your classes!!

x
    :heart2: Stuff & Thangs :heart2:
  • newlywed
    newlywed Posts: 8,255 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    The shop I used to go to called them "bead caps" you could get them plain or filigree and slightly cupped or really cupped to go round the bead.
    working on clearing the clutterDo I want the stuff or the space?
  • gingernutbizkit
    Options
    Hi all,

I have only just found this thread but love jewellery making and used to make tonnes. I sold these at jewellery parties with my friends. I am no longer able to go out eveenings and do these parties as I have kids but wondered if there was any other way to sell the items I make for a reasonable amount (ebay seems ever so cheap).

TIA, Ging x
  • irishgirl62
    irishgirl62 Posts: 1,548 Forumite
    Options
    Hi, just found this thread! I have started making jewellery, nothing fancy just bracelets and earrings for myself and 3 DD but my DD friends and some of their mothers wants to buy them but I have no idea what to charge!
    I am determined to lose weight!:kisses3:
    Weight loss so far 2 stones 6lbs!! :j:j
  • irishgirl62
    Options
    Angie100 wrote: »
    Millie-they look lovely. I haven't tried a bar and toggle fastener yet but they look nice on the charm bracelets. I was looking on ebay for some chain but it's quite pricey!!! Where do you buy your chain from??
    I got simpliar chains from ebay 12 for 11quid that is including postage from seller angie attic
  • jamtart6
    jamtart6 Posts: 8,302 Forumite
    Options
    bookmarking this thread to use at a later date cant wait to read it :)

:ABeing Thrifty Gifty again this year:A

• irishgirl62
    Options
    I struggle with split rings bought split rings pliers and still struggle I lost confidence in the jump rings as my charms fell off! any suggestions please?
  • Jo_F
    Jo_F Posts: 1,780 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Irishgirl, how are you opening the jump rings? if you are just pulling the ends apart then they will never go back into shape and so won't close. The best way of doing it is to have the rinf faceing you, so you see the 'hoop' use pliers to push one end past the other, and then put whatever on it, and then move the end back, sometimes bring it a little past the other way and then back into place and that will close the gap, it's difficult to explain and there is another post in this thread where I have described it better.
  • irishgirl62
    Options
    Thanks jo, I will give it a go,I way I did it is I use two pliers opening them not past each other but opposite directrion then bring it back to close if that makes any sense,
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills