🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Headlice (merged)

Options

Comments

• black-saturn
    black-saturn Posts: 13,937 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    wigginsmum wrote:
    You are all remembering to change your pillowcases and wash your pillows after an outbreak, I hope?
    You sound like my mum ;)
    2008 Comping Challenge
    Won so far - £3010 Needed - £230
    Debt free since Oct 2004
  • heather38
    heather38 Posts: 1,741 Forumite
    Options
    this is going on offer in tesco 2 for £7.50 (the 50ml size)
  • morveryn
    morveryn Posts: 223 Forumite
    Options
    This product may seem better in that it is not a pesticide, but it contains dimeticone (silicone plastic) which coats the hair and overuse could be very bad for hair indeed.
    I know a trichologist who tells his clients to avoid products that contain this. He says the worst products on the market are Pantene and he is currently treating 3 women for hair loss due to overuse of Pantene. The 'Pro-V' part of Pantene is a plastic.
    Also, silicone builds up in the body and it is possible to develop an allergy to it as I have.
    Ebay~ A wretched hive of scum and villainy. :p
  • black-saturn
    black-saturn Posts: 13,937 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    It made my childrens hair really soft and easy to comb out (and they are still lice free) but I know what those "coating" shampoos can do. I used one recently and when I stopped using it I ended up with a load of rolled up glue like stuff in my hair.
    2008 Comping Challenge
    Won so far - £3010 Needed - £230
    Debt free since Oct 2004
  • Danni
    Danni Posts: 345 Forumite
    Options
    Another cheap remedy that worked for me was to coat my hair in full fat mayonnaise (forgotten why it had to be full fat but I'm sure there was a reason for it), cover with clingfilm and leave in for 6 hours. Loads of dead ones came out and I wet-combed every couple of days for 2 weeks but I've not had them since.

My daughter's only 2 so hasn't had them yet (she didn't have much hair when I last had them!) but I'll remember this for when she starts school, just in case :)
    Purple Penguin Power!
  • aquarian3
    aquarian3 Posts: 160 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    Hi all,

I hope this is the right board to give this info? I couldn't work out which one it'd come under - so feel free to move this post but please don't flame me!!!

My 9 yr old son got head lice for the first time in his life and so being a newbie at it I read some websites and got some good info - one being if your child is under 16 yrs of age your doctor can prescribe nit solution and a fab little comb free of charge.

All I did was call my doctor - explained that my son has lice and could I get 'Hedrin' lotion and a 'Nitty Gritty' comb on prescription. He said 'absolutely' :beer: - he didn't need to see him so the prescription was picked up later that day.

The other thing I've found whilst on the net is a great website with a program of how to get rid of the blighters - the info and advice is second to none so I wanted to paste it here for others to maybe bookmark 'just in case' - and it is free.

http://www.microscopy-uk.org.uk/theliceprogram/theprogram.html

Once again I hope this post is ok for this board?

Luv
    Lee
    -X-
  • pinkybubbles
    Options
    My Dr will not prescribe for headlice!!!! Must be a NHS post code thing yet again
  • AnnieH
    AnnieH Posts: 8,088 Forumite
    Options
    I just use a metal tooth nit comb and brush the blighters out. They are horrid, but I don't think repeated use of the lotions do any good, so I tend to steer clear of them, as my 2 get them a few times a year. :mad:
  • ladybirdh2
    Options
    My doctor won't just said go to the chemist.
    We just been through headlice thing, just about got rid of them. We tried hedrin but it only got rid of a few.
    I think different things work for different people.
    Thanks for the info though really interesting
  • cornbuddy
    cornbuddy Posts: 49 Forumite
    Options
    When my children used to come home with headlice I found the best treatment is to buy some tea tree conditioner and smother their heads with it. Then go through it with a nit comb and the nits will come out. You have to do it a few times, but it is better than some of the chemical products on the market at the moment, also a lot cheaper!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 10 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport